Oil Change

penfolduk

has anyone used one of those vacuum pump oil extractors

it sucks the oil through the dipstick hole into a container

looks easier than crawling under car

got one - v easy to use, iv never experienced it spilling on the engine bay!.. however never felt satisfied all the old oil is extracted in comparison to the standard way of changing oil - ive always used it inbetween services so guess its not the end of the world if some only oil is mixed in with new - not used it on the zed yet - and to be fair i probably wont as nowadays i generally visit to national as they change oil and fiter for about £35 ......bargain :thumbs:

Cant really see how this will work. For a start the tube will have to be tiny to go through the dipstick hole and surely it will take an age to suck out? And how can you be sure that whatever you stick in to suck the oil out that it will be low enough in the sump to suck all the oil out? :shrug:

Just do the job properly ;)

clever piece of kit, i suppose the only way to know you got all the oil is that the zed holds about 5 litres of oil, so when you have about 5 litres you're about there.

i like the fact it goes into a sealed container, saves the risk of secondary spilling etc.

(as for the link if you edit your post; highlight the link and then click on the youtube button above; just under the title box it will link it properly)

Cant really see how this will work. For a start the tube will have to be tiny to go through the dipstick hole and surely it will take an age to suck out? And how can you be sure that whatever you stick in to suck the oil out that it will be low enough in the sump to suck all the oil out? :shrug:

Just do the job properly ;)

takes about 10mins to suck majority of the oil out

And how can you be sure that whatever you stick in to suck the oil out that it will be low enough in the sump to suck all the oil out? :shrug:

you'l be able to see how many litres of oil has been extracted from the container, once all/most of the oil has been extracted you'l hear a "slurping" noise to imply completion, wipe off any excess mess with kleenex job done :lol:

not bad price on ebay,

tempting; i suppose it cuts out the need to jack up a car etc.

good price on ebay but why wouldnt you cut all the hassle and let national sort it? its probably cheaper than a can of oil from halfrauds!

i get to choose and supply my own oil; i know who's done the job and that its done properly.

to be honest i doubt i'd get it as i only change the oil at service time and then my very good motorsport mechanic friends do it.

if i tracked the car more and wanted to change the oil every 2.5 then it would be a good investment.

not bad price on ebay,

tempting; i suppose it cuts out the need to jack up a car etc.

good price on ebay but why wouldnt you cut all the hassle and let national sort it? its probably cheaper than a can of oil from halfrauds!

i get to choose and supply my own oil; i know who's done the job and that its done properly.

to be honest i doubt i'd get it as i only change the oil at service time and then my very good motorsport mechanic friends do it.

if i tracked the car more and wanted to change the oil every 2.5 then it would be a good investment.

fair point regarding what oil you put in and that the jobs done properly (i'd like to think the guys at national could change oil without any drama but then again im sure they could prove me wrong)

to be honest the ebay one is a v good price :thumbs: - iirc paid over 50 quid for mine a couple of yrs ago

But I still don't see the point :shrug: You still need to change the filter - because I track I change my oil and filter every 4-5k (well.... Alex does :blush: ) I'd want a new filter each time - whats point in putting clean oil in if the filter is dirty?

But I still don't see the point :shrug: You still need to change the filter - because I track I change my oil and filter every 4-5k (well.... Alex does :blush: ) I'd want a new filter each time - whats point in putting clean oil in if the filter is dirty?

I thought a filter would outlast that sort of oil change frequency?

This pump idea sounds like it could be quite handy (not to mention quicker) for those doing frequent oil changes - just so long as it gets all the old stuff out.

Anyways, my advice is: just don't do an orthodox oil change in the wind. I ended up looking like a friggin' dalmation! :blush:

I thought a filter would outlast that sort of oil change frequency?

This pump idea sounds like it could be quite handy (not to mention quicker) for those doing frequent oil changes - just so long as it gets all the old stuff out.

Anyways, my advice is: just don't do an orthodox oil change in the wind. I ended up looking like a friggin' dalmation! :blush:

lol

as for oil filter; it should do fine for standard service intervals even with tracking it. i'd only look at changing the filter every 4-5k if i was FI

agree with the oil change as an intermediary change between services; as the oil becomes less effective the more heat cycles it goes through and the more extreme the heat cycles the soon it would need changing.