Making the switch.. could someone clarify for me?

waltzinblack

My tyres are down to around 3mm on the front and 4mm on the back. RE040s as it's all stock :)

Planning to change them all in a couple of months-ish they should all just about be gone by then, and I'll be driving carefully up until I get them replaced! I mainly want to replace them because they are RE040s and they generally get pants reviews from all of you!

So.. from what I've gained from all the threads I've read on this:

Is it all good just to swap out all of my RE040s (on a 54 plate Z) to RE050s? I know people will probably tell me there are better tyres, but I don't want to spend TOO too much, and I won't be doing track days (just normal driving with the occasional B-road blast), so from all the reviews I have read on here, the RE050s look like the best bet. Few questions I would be grateful if anyone could answer!

1)So yeah, is it fine just to make a straight swap? The TCS won't go nuts at me or anything like that? Common sense tells me that it wouldn't, but my motoring mechanical knowledge is extremely limited so I thought I'd still ask!

2)Also, the tyre pressures listed on the fuel cap... would these be the same if I fitted RE050s? If not, how should I adjust them? I would assume that the tyre pressure on the fuel cap are for the RE040s seeing as these are the tyres fitted stock to my model. Again, common sense tells me that because these are both tyres used for Zs they wouldn't change the pressures...

3)Third question... what is the difference between RE050 and RE050A? I heard one of them was run-flat, and that run-flat is bad for the Z? Anyone clarify this?

4)Fourth and finally.. where should I get it done? Main dealership? Kwik Fit? Or any other reputable tyre fitters around the North London area that you can recommend? Will they have any trouble getting the tyres? (read a few stories of people only getting 3 in stock or something :S )

Sorry for the essay, thanks for any help - I'm learning things slowly so bear with me guys!

\straight swap is not an issue, the car should feel a lot better. Tyre pressures will be the same.

As for where to get them done, mine are changed in a small local garage and they are very careful with the wheels. Anywhere is fine if they know how to do it without damaging them. If you want to buy the tyres from Camskill etc its normally about £10 per corner for a garage to change them.

Thanks so much for the quick replies guys answering my questions infinitely more concisely than the way in which I asked them!... looked on that Camskill site, they don't appear to have the RE050s in stock? Are they hard to get hold of?

And the only other question that remains is the issue of RE050/RE050A...

Don't use RE050s, they're a completely different tyre to the vastly superior RE050As. The 050s aren't much of a step up from the 040s, but the 050As are stunning.

I think the RE050s are discontinued now anyway in favour of the RE050As.

I'll just throw in the mix then; consider Falken 452s. I changed mine in November from the original Bridgestone and the difference is amazing. The wet weather grip is fantastic, ride is better and far less noise.

Cheap too.

Now enter someone about Vreds. Couldn't find any at the time I needed them :rant:

Bradders.

Thanks for all that! Sorted out all the confusion with the run-flats and the codes and everything!

I have been thinking about the Falken 452s.. mainly because I can't seem to find places with the RE050As in stock for the fronts and the rears.

How do the Falken 452s compare to the RE050As for NORMAL ROAD USE? Like I said, occasionally the car gets thrashed, but I'm not looking for racing tyres! If the Falkens are just as good for normal driving and don't really wear anymore quickly, then I'll probably look into them if they are cheaper than the Bridgestones...

It may well be that the answer will be influenced by the answer to rtbiscuit's question about what wheels you are running.

I haven't personally had the Falkens but I have read about 100 pages from various sources about the tyres you can get for 18 inch wheels for the 350Z and it would seem that if you are after a cheaper tyre, the Falken is highly regarded. Some people have a different view but given that you have said that you will be driving on the road within reasonable limits, I expect that you would find them highly acceptable.

I personally have the 050As and favour the idea of getting the very best tyres you can afford (I would have got PS2s but couldn't afford them).

Running the Rays, so 18s :)

That's the way I see it too.. I mean I can quite easily get £500 odd, which means I only need an extra £150 ish to afford the RE050As? I read that a set of PS2s were about £800 fitted.. which is too far above the £500 budget.

So if the RE050As are better, I can just about afford them, so I'd rather stretch a little and have better... but then if the Falkens are not noticeably worse, then as long as they are a lot better than the RE040s then I would be happy having second best for a hundred quid less or so.

in order of preference on the zed, running stock oem 18's my tyre preference would run something like this

1. MPS2's

2. RE050A's

3. Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas

4. Falken 452's

5. uniroyal rainsport 2's

6. toyo T1r's

7. nankangs (only if you want to die) :lol:

lots of other tyres i'd consider but these partcular ones are the most commonly mentioned

pirelli pzeros are good as are goodyear eagle f1 assymetrics, continental sport contacts 2, 3 and 5's

to be honest as long as you don't buy cheap ass crap tyres from korea you cant go to far wrong.

Thanks so much for all this help fellas... I can't commend your patience enough considering how many of these threads there are which are 99% similar!

I'm definitely going for the RE050As. I hope I don't have any trouble finding them in stock when I come to buying!

I checked my existing tyres, they are 225/45/R18 on the front, and 245/45/R18 on the back, are these the best measurements to avoid any TCS/speedometer/whatever issues on the 18 inch Rays?

Also... I've seen some different 'speed-rated' RE050As on that Tyreexpress website. My tyres appear to say W on them. Is that the best/correct 'speed rating' for tyres on the Zed?

Thanks once again for all your help dealing with repetitive newbie questions such as mine. It is greatly, greatly appreciated!