Another Gearbox Problem ?

Dicky

I cant get a smooth change between 1st & 2nd  

33 members have voted

1. 1. I cant get a smooth change between 1st & 2nd

• Agree
    • Disagree

Currently in the heat of battle with local dealer/customer services re a gear change problem. When changing from 1st to 2nd I feel something catching as I engage 2nd. Ive got an 04 car and it’s the same most times but on occasions I’ve managed a smooth change. Its worse when cold but noticeable most of the time. I’ve raised it before but think I referred to it as a “notchyâ€

Mine is currently in for it's fix / replacement, and I agree that when cold it does it between 1st and 2nd, but also in others (2nd to 3rd for sure). I'll find out what difference is possible in the next couple of days I guess. But one thing's for sure, when it's warm then it's generally fine (except my current problem!).

Mine is currently in for it's fix / replacement, and I agree that when cold it does it between 1st and 2nd, but also in others (2nd to 3rd for sure). I'll find out what difference is possible in the next couple of days I guess. But one thing's for sure, when it's warm then it's generally fine (except my current problem!).

I’d be interested to hear your views on the finished product. Regarding other comments. I’ve only gunned it from rest on two occasions (sad barsteward I know) and I’ve got to be honest I tended to be holding on rather than ponder the gear change performance.

I would define “notchyâ€

Doh!! I ticked Agree instead of Disagree, as I read the Poll as "I CAN get a smooth change between 1st & 2nd".

Agreed, when the box is cold there's a bit of resistance from 1st-2nd, but after a few minutes every change (incl 4th-6th) is smooth. Personally, I wouldn't be bothered if I never had 1st gear as there's so much torque when pulling away in 2nd.

I had this problem up untill a few weeks ago.

I was doing abit of traffic light gp and drastically missed second i was sure i had bent the selector or ****ed the sync up.

To my amazement it actually made the gearbox much smoother so I think when I got the car the car the selector was slightly bent and I must have straightened it back out with my @*!# gear change:)

Have you had the car from new?

If cars done more than 20k I would also change the gearbox oil for some decent fully syth stuff.

I had this problem up untill a few weeks ago.

I was doing abit of traffic light gp and drastically missed second i was sure i had bent the selector or ****ed the sync up.

To my amazement it actually made the gearbox much smoother so I think when I got the car the car the selector was slightly bent and I must have straightened it back out with my @*!# gear change:)

Have you had the car from new?

If cars done more than 20k I would also change the gearbox oil for some decent fully syth stuff.

Yup had it from new. To be fair it’s a bit better now than it was some 6mths ago. This is the first close ratio box I’ve had so don’t know if this sort of thing is to be expected. As I said the dealer said there all like this and it’s because it’s a close ratio box. If that’s fair comment then OK. But at the moment I don’t know if it’s a fob off (because they tried that one before to!)

My first to second is occasionally a bit clunky but it comes and goes, i dont mind it half as much as a strange clicking noise which my clutch pedal makes now and again when depressing it. When i took it to the dealer he assured me that all of them do this and even let me sit in another one and try it. Sure enough it made the same clicky noise and he mentioned it has something to do with the mechanism that you have to depress the clutch to start the engine. It seems to come and go, i dont know if the way i drive the car and change gear effects it or not?!?

I find in best to use 1st to just get moving then gun it in 2nd B)

Totally agree mate :thumbs:

I use 1st to about 5k revs then change up pretty early to 2nd but gives you a longer, smoother acceration. :teeth:B)

Just get moving @ 5k rpm :wacko: WTF :dry:

Sarnie's attempt at being droll ;)

I use 1st to about 5k revs then change up pretty early to 2nd but gives you a longer, smoother acceration. :teeth:B)

Sarnie's attempt at being droll ;)

Nope.

I didn't have any problems with my gearbox at all until at my last service i asked them to change the gearbox oil even though it was not scheduled to be changed. Since then it struggles into 1st and 2nd when its cold? a totally noticeable difference. Wished i hadn't bothered paying £32 for the oil change.

• 2 weeks later...

You won’t believe this but I’ve actually made contact with someone in Nissan Customer Services who has a BRAIN.

Yeh, he actually understands what professionalism means and takes ownership of problems. If he promises to call back HE ACTUALLY DOES :thumbs: . It also bothers him that a 350Z UK poll of dealer and customer service satisfaction, rates them both so poorly and that other Z owners are experiencing the same gear change problem I am. Before discovering this guy, Id already written a letter of complaint to one of Nissans big guns, Garry Friego, and laid out my whole sorry story. Highlighting their incompetence and the lack of professionalism shown by both their customer services and local dealerships.

My gearbox complaints been going on since May and I’m no further forward. They never call me back and I have to constantly chase them. Having blasted this guy during the phone call (I hadn’t dealt with him before, he must be the only one!) He actually called me back; he’s rang the local dealer and is currently sorting things out for me. He said that Nissan are aware of problems with 1st to 2nd gear change and if the dealer won’t produce a letter saying that my problem is "a characteristic" then they’ll fix it. I’m GOB SMACKED.

The poll results, although a small sample size, still made them think and were very useful when blasting them. Ive also included them in the letter to Mr Friego. Thanks to all who contributed.

• 2 weeks later...

Its official, Nissan now admit that the slight catching sensation when 2nd is engaged is a characteristic of their gearbox and is within normal manufacturing limits.

Got a reply from Gerry Friego this morning along with a free service offer as a gesture of good will. He also said that my local dealer, who had refused to give me such a letter in the first place, will now be doing so.

Progress at last, its only taken six months!

Leave him too it, he thinks he is the Stig! lol ;)

As said before, in the first 10 minutes of driving the 1st to 2nd gear change is a bit bunnyish, however after that i have no problems at all.

My MG had the same characteristics though