Octogenarian Zeds

evest

Hi folks,

A general advice request if I may...

I'm into the 80K's now having had my beloved Zed for just over 2 years (it's a '53 plate). Pleased to say she seems to be running just as well as when I bought her at 45K!

As it's getting warmers I've started embarking on some maintenance lately. Done the normal engine oil change and have recently cleaned out the throttle body (which has produced quite an improvement on ignition!), and am set to replace the gear and LSD oils shortly as I'm not so sure when these were last done.

She's already had a new clutch and flywheel about 6-7 months ago and a new exhaust system about 3 months ago. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the sorts of things I might look out for at this stage of the cars life that the normal servicing schedule might not pick up? There are no particular things concerning me at the moment - just wondered about other people's experience with similar mileage?

All input much appreciated,

Cheers! :)

I saw that Martin had replied to this, and just figured he was owning up to being 80 yrs old :lol:

Though as he points out, that thread is a good read :thumbs:

And good on your for getting your hands dirty and doing the work yourself :thumbs:

Thanks Martin! Will check out the recommended thread :thumbs:

Not had any suspensions parts replaced yet - although the various topics being raised at the moment got me thinking that a thorough inspection might be a good idea...

Bushes, suspension and drop links. They tend to wear out, but so gradually you dont realise. Most I've heard of that refresh the bushes say it makes a marked difference in handling and makes it "tight" again. Suspension could be on the way out depending on how its been treated? Again will go over time and you wont notice really until you change.

Oh and brake fluid is always worth doing. Brake lines at that age are likely to be deteriorating, so get some braided lines and refresh the fluid.