Sat Nav Disk

CharlesB

Nissan charge something like £400 for the disk, it's really not worth the hassle. Unless there is some way of copying a recent disk, but then again I think the updated disk don't work on the older Satnav's

On a side note: I've been tempted to copy mine for a backup, any idea if this would work or is there some form of copy protection on it?

Caroline's 2008 Sat Nav disk is a double sided DVD, ordinary DVD recorders won't copy it because it contains 9GB of data on it. Special equipment required unfortunately. No idea if it's copy protected but there are ways around that :)

Pete

On a side note: I've been tempted to copy mine for a backup, any idea if this would work or is there some form of copy protection on it?

Caroline's 2008 Sat Nav disk is a double sided DVD, ordinary DVD recorders won't copy it because it contains 9GB of data on it. Special equipment required unfortunately. No idea if it's copy protected but there are ways around that :)

Pete

You don't need any special equipment, most drives now copy Dual Layer disks which is what you need, a double sided disk would need turning over anyway so you could copy each side onto a normal dvd :thumbs:

There are ways round anything pretty much anything unless you need to get an 'unlock' code from the manufacturer...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although the Zed has now gone :byebye: I can confirm that you can back them up. My original dvd was badly scratched when I got the car, though it still worked perfectly. Just in case it packed up I made a back up. I think it's fairly fussy about the type of burner and disk used. Took two attempts to get a working copy. I used a verbatim disc and a Lite-on burner on the slowest speed with Alcohol 120.

If you have to buy the kit from scratch it may well turn out cheaper to buy from the link in this discussion

• 2 weeks later...