Bye bye Z

kazman

Well today I traded in my 55 plate Z.

Feel a little bit sad about it, it was a car that was very reliable during my 12 months of ownership, and the engine always provided good pull for any revs.

I suppose my biggest criticisms were:

Average headlights combined with low driving position meant that night driving was difficult for me (I was blinded by the majority of on oncoming traffic).

The heavy steering was involving but meant that mid corner kickback could be off putting.

Basically though it was a very low maintenance GT that always got positive comments and one that I was always 100 percent reliable would start in the morning. One of my better cars then...

Average headlights combined with low driving position meant that night driving was difficult for me (I was blinded by the majority of on oncoming traffic).

Are you quite short, no offence intended, but i've never had this problem and wouldn't consider the Z driving position that low (the leather seats are actually quite high? :wacko:)

To answer the questions:

I have now got an E46 M3.

I'm 6'3.

I adjusted the headlight height as high as I could without blinding other traffic. It did improve things but still did not seem to output much light, maybe it was reflector design?

But overall I think zeds are top cars, would heartily recommend them, fuel is the only thing that is expensive with them, and in no way is it excessive for the performance they provide.

Can't comment on the fuel economy yet as I have only driven about 100 miles.

Performance wise (this won't be popular) it is in a different league. Possibly not as keen low down, but from about 4k it flies, getting more and more urgent as it approaches the top end. I think another reason for it is that the M feels like it wants to be rung out, whilst the Z felt a bit flat when it got to 5k. It certainly feels more exciting flat out.

Again though, I am not trying to detract from the Z, for the amount that it cost me over 12 months it was excellent.

Can't comment on the fuel economy yet as I have only driven about 100 miles.

Performance wise (this won't be popular) it is in a different league. Possibly not as keen low down, but from about 4k it flies, getting more and more urgent as it approaches the top end. I think another reason for it is that the M feels like it wants to be rung out, whilst the Z felt a bit flat when it got to 5k. It certainly feels more exciting flat out.

Again though, I am not trying to detract from the Z, for the amount that it cost me over 12 months it was excellent.

I agree with that. It wants to be revved. I am also a big 'M3 rasp' fan. :)