gear selection problem,

350zblack

i have a problem of changing into 2nd gear from 1st when cold, it is very stiff and at times slightly crunchy when changing into 2nd.

i also have a problem when downshifting from 3rd - 2nd - 1st or when changing to 1st coming up to the lights etc.

now the 1st to 2nd gear change problem seems to go away after a few mins of driving but the 2nd problem of wanting to select 1st or 2nd on downshift approaching lights etc seems to stay even when warm.

i have a slight clutch slip, and i mean slight, and also a rattling noise coming from gearbox when idling (noise goes away when clutch pressed).

which leads me to belive the clutch/ release bearing is on its way out, could this also be likely causing the gear selection problems?

ive recently give the gearbox oil a flush and change to no benefit.

long winded question but hope its clear to understand.

any help welcomed

Your question is easy to understand .... 1st problem (1st to 2nd when cold) is common ........... second question - I'm sorry I don't have an answer but I know it's not common .... have you tried double de-clutching 3rd to 2nd ?

sasha, the 2nd gear issue yes i read up about that but my problem seems to be too stiff it take some force to engage.

attack, yes ive tried the double clutch for both problems but makes no difference.

im swaying towards a new clutch due to the rattle on idle and the general feel of it, seems like its on its way to slipping to me.

2nd gear issues when cold is characteristic of the early 350Z boxes and you just learn to live with it and adjust your driving style accordingly. :thumbs:

The other issues points to a worn clutch and/or hydraulic issues.

You will find all the required parts in my sub-forum.

All in stock and good to go same/next day. :thumbs:

viewforum.php?f=157

Just give me a shout if you require further help or advice on this. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

I'm not sure on the rattling, but the 2nd gear issues you described are what some would describe as a "feature" of the gearbox. Most of them behave that way and need to get warm to behave.

+1

I have a short shifter so the "feature" was made worse but after change of gear box oil(motul) and always dilligent warming first off in the morning its no longer an issue :teeth: And if i have to drive off without adequate warming it quickly smoothes out when the transmission is up to temp.

sasha, the 2nd gear issue yes i read up about that but my problem seems to be too stiff it take some force to engage.

attack, yes ive tried the double clutch for both problems but makes no difference.

im swaying towards a new clutch due to the rattle on idle and the general feel of it, seems like its on its way to slipping to me.

The 2nd gear issue does take some force sometimes until it warms up... but the other issue points to a new clutch unfotunately.

The 'rattle' on idle could just be the lightened flywheel the former owner mentioned, they do chatter a bit on idle.

probably a big point that i missed out is that ive actually had the car since october, only just this last 2/3 weeks has the gear selection issue come on.

done approx 9k miles since ownership.

alex - you think a clutch fluid change could be needed? as said clutch pedel does seem as if its gotten.. 'sloppy'

probably a big point that i missed out is that ive actually had the car since october, only just this last 2/3 weeks has the gear selection issue come on.

alex - you think a clutch fluid change could be needed? as said clutch pedel does seem as if its gotten.. 'sloppy'

A fluid chage and a proper bleed may help if it is a hydraulic related issue, but where do you stop?

OEM clutch hose, clutch slave cyl, clutch master cyl. are also all prone to failure.

However none of the above will cure a clutch slip but may harden up the pedel feel.

A fluid chage and a proper bleed may help if it is a hydraulic related issue, but where do you stop?

OEM clutch hose, clutch slave cyl, clutch master cyl. are also all prone to failure.

However none of the above will cure a clutch slip but may harden up the pedel feel.

would a new clutch on a lightly worn lightened flywheel be alright Alex or would you want to replace both with new items