TT mk.2

ByteJuggler

Well. me and the wife went to see one in the flesh today (at Leicester Audi.) Liked the build quality. Thought the rear seats are a waste of space (honestly - Nissan has the right idea there.) The shape is nice but it does not grab you nearly as much as the original TT's did when it came out or that the Z still does me. I did however like the speed-adjusting spoiler (which the wife did not like :rolleyes:) The seats are pretty nice, fully adjustable, and the gear change felt nice enough (while off of course, I don't know how it would be in use.) The clutch felt quite light, I don't really have a preference either way there.

The Sales guy was friendly enough, though I did have to listen to some schpiel about them having been given the new TT, the Z, the Z4 and the Cayman S for a day (on Hockenheim) some time ago by Audi (which basically concludes that the TT is basically as good as the Cayman S that costs 20 grand more.) Of course, he didn't like the Z that much, said it didn't hold the corners that well etc. Also said he didn't really like the build quality on the Z. (I did wonder afterwards whether he had the facelifted Z or not.) But, he's after all an Audi salesman so can be forgiven for being biased. :-) Anyhow, I'm still slightly tempted to book a test drive just to give the new TT a fair chance. (Aside: I'm in all likelihood finally buying car in the next month or 2.) However so far I can't really say the new TT's particularly grabbed me. (It is possible of course that I'll be completely blown over once I get behind the wheel and depress the accelerator for real, like with the Z... really impossible to know without trying I suppose. :blink: )

Has anyone else that actually own an 06 model Z been to drive the new TT, and if so, what did you think about the cars? How does the trim compare etc?

Its a very good car imho, as fast as the Z but less sporty, more "audi-safe", so its up to what you are looking for. All comparing reviews i read so far claim the Audi is the "better" car, but the Z is the more exciting one. All depends on what you want i guess ;) And in the wet the TT will drive circles around the Z imho

I went from a Mk1 TT 180hp (well, 210 :p ) FWD to the Z, and the Z is more fun to drive imho, but then again, i didnt have quattro.

All depends on what you want i guess ;) And in the wet the TT will drive circles around the Z imho

I went from a Mk1 TT 180hp (well, 210 :p ) FWD to the Z, and the Z is more fun to drive imho, but then again, i didnt have quattro.

Too true. It all depends on what you want. The trim in the zed doesn't compare to the trim in a top-end Audi. Thing is, it doesn't try to. That's not what the zed is about. I've got a squeaky dash, a squeaky seat and a rattly ashtray. I don't give a sh*t. I came from a 225bhp Quattro S3 which is fundamentally the 225bhp TT with an A3 shell. It didn't have a single squeak, creak or rattle after 100,000 miles when I traded it in. It also went round corners in the wet at a speed that defied belief. However, it was all a bit sterile. No car I've ever owned gets my heart pumping like the zed.

I've got a mate with a 3.2 V6 Mk1 TT and it's a great car. It really is. But if you want a driver's car, it's gotta be the 350Z. If you want build quality and great trim, go for the TT.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw one on the motorway the other day, it looks pathetic on the road that's for sure, I'd be embarassed to drive one.

What the actual car is like is another matter...

That's a bit harsh mate!! :surrender: There must be a lot of cars you'd be embarrassed about driving before the MK2 TT. I think the MK2 TT looks loads better than the MK1, although I agree the zed pisses over them both in the aesthetics dept. I had a brand new BMW 320 last week when my zed was in getting a new key programmed and I was mortified driving about in it. Amazing what the zed does to you. Never thought I'd see the day I was ashamed of driving around in a black 320 with 300miles on the clock! However, I did thrash the tits off it!! :evil:

Yes, but from the front they look just like any other recent Audi. I have to say that the mk 1 at least had a unique appearance when it was launched, and still stands out a bit from the crowd today. The mk 2 doesn't, imo.

Yes, but from the front they look just like any other recent Audi. I have to say that the mk 1 at least had a unique appearance when it was launched, and still stands out a bit from the crowd today. The mk 2 doesn't, imo.

Exactly, from the front you'd be hard pushed to tell which model it was.

Does look good and build quality is usual Audi rock solid. My mate has an A3 3.2 quattro (as already said basically the TT with a different shell) and in the wet it'll wipe the floor with the Z but as a drivers car its far too sterile for me.

The Z does beat the 3.2 TT (at least the Mk 1), I know I've tested it (on a private road of course) and the TT driver was trying as much as I was. Doubt the Mk2 is any quicker.

Horses for courses. If you do decide to go for the TT I'd say do it quick, they'll be all over the roads within 5 minutes just like the Mk1 was.

The Z does beat the 3.2 TT (at least the Mk 1), I know I've tested it (on a private road of course) and the TT driver was trying as much as I was. Doubt the Mk2 is any quicker.

Well, it is, and according to the tests I read, it is as fast as the Z ;)

We'll see

I've seen a couple of Mk2s kicking about. Looks sleeker than the mk1. I pointed it out to my girlfriend and she said 'New? Looks just like the old one.'

Audi should have and could have been bolder and made it look more like the R8. They weren't but millions of women and guys with wavey wrists will still flock to the dealer and buy one.