Novice trackday at Bedford

Daryl

Im heading off to the novice only track day at Bedford Autodrome tomorrow. Didnt know if there were any members planning on going also.

Really looking forward to it,though abit nervous. Hopefully the rain will hold off,and itl be dry tomorrow.

I was interested in doing that day, bit of advice i was given, was to be carefull of your breaks apparently even the bremos after a short while become over heated and start failing! When they do apparently come off staright away even if it is early in a session...

Also apparently most crashes hapen believe it or not on the straight, when people **** up a gear change at the end of the straight and end up locking up the wheels for a fraction of time and hit the side barrier...

Well what an awesome day! It was well worth doing,and i feel so much more comfortable with the car now. The whole day was well organised,and there were no shunts or anything. The worst thing that happened was a few spins by other people,but thats it. I was really impressed by the car,everything held together well,and the brakes were amazing. (DS 2500's on the front).

I took a few people out,and everyone was really impressed by the car,and the brakes,which never faded,and were always spot on. My first 20 laps were done with me braking what i though was heavy,but at one point,i had to really get on them,and realised that i could brake so much later and harder than i had been,even from 125-130.

It was not cheap,but was so worth it. I did around 200 miles and a tank of fuel,but dont regret it for a moment.

To top it all off,in the afternoon,there were 2 other Azure Zeds that showed up,so it was nice to chat to one of the owners (Will from Cambridge),who had no brake pads left by 3pm.

Good selection of cars,from an R400 to a Mustang,and even a tatty old mk3 Fiesta,with a 1.8 and NOS.

brembo's are fine on the track, its the fluid that matters, fresh fluid is always a plus. The pads fade if theyre not good and the brake fluid will boil if its rubbish or has gathered moisture over time. Brembos are good on the track.

Thats good to know and glad you had a good day. :thumbs:

I have a Club MSV voucher that I'm planning to use at Bedford in the very near future. I'm not sure whether to do the novice day or the open pit lane day. I have taken cars on airfield type trackdays and done a rally experience etc...but not been on a 'real' track.

Well what an awesome day! It was well worth doing,and i feel so much more comfortable with the car now. The whole day was well organised,and there were no shunts or anything. The worst thing that happened was a few spins by other people,but thats it. I was really impressed by the car,everything held together well,and the brakes were amazing. (DS 2500's on the front).

I took a few people out,and everyone was really impressed by the car,and the brakes,which never faded,and were always spot on. My first 20 laps were done with me braking what i though was heavy,but at one point,i had to really get on them,and realised that i could brake so much later and harder than i had been,even from 125-130.

It was not cheap,but was so worth it. I did around 200 miles and a tank of fuel,but dont regret it for a moment.

To top it all off,in the afternoon,there were 2 other Azure Zeds that showed up,so it was nice to chat to one of the owners (Will from Cambridge),who had no brake pads left by 3pm.

Good selection of cars,from an R400 to a Mustang,and even a tatty old mk3 Fiesta,with a 1.8 and NOS.

To be honest i dont know how an open pitlane day will differ from the novice day,but it was just good to know that the other people on track were just as inexperienced as me. I didnt change my fluid,but thought the brakes held up brilliantly. I was doing alot of laps,and the brakes never faded,or gave me a worry.

One of the best mods I carried out on the Zed was to get braided hoses and RBF600 fluid. Enen on the full on Dixcel setup I have I felt the difference changing these things.

A set of decent pads with decent fluid an lines if you can and the brakes are absolutely spot on.

Thats good to know and glad you had a good day. :thumbs:

I have a Club MSV voucher that I'm planning to use at Bedford in the very near future. I'm not sure whether to do the novice day or the open pit lane day. I have taken cars on airfield type trackdays and done a rally experience etc...but not been on a 'real' track.

I seem to remember when i was doing research into MSV you had to start with the beginner/ novice days before any of the others, as track days are completely different to driving experiences etc.. (other people on the track, over taking etc..)

Right, you're on about the difference between open pit and a sessioned day. They'll still probably do session days and they're a very good idea as long as people are honest about their capabilities on track.

I've only ever done one sessioned track day and that was with the VX220 owners club, it worked really well and I'd probably do another one again.