problem with the choke?

chrisgunton

Evening all,

The Z that I purchased a couple days ago appears to be running a little rich, and idling higher than I expected. it had been stood for a month or so over the winter. The seller thinks this could be caused by the auto choke playing up due to being stored.

Does this sound correct, and if so what's the solution? This is my first Zed so I have to admit to being a bit of a noob :)

The revs tend to jump up to 1900 when I come to a stop sometimes, and it usually idles just over 1000.

Well I would clean it (and have!), remove the mass airflow sensor and carefully clean it with switch cleaner (or carb cleaner maybe, but don’t linger on the plastic)...best use switch cleaner as its less aggressive...anyways clean it but don’t touch with fingers or cloth, just spray all over it concentrating on the hot wire filament and the contacts on the plug/socket. Allow to dry before refitting and trying. It is delicate so don’t be tempted to touch it!

Auto choke? Does he think its 1990?

Seriously, sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about and trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Modern fuel injected engines have the mixture controlled by the ECU, which in turn reads signals delivered from the MAF and Lambda sensore, amongst others.

Is this not the car that was discribed as "mint" in the advert?

The car that you asked for opinions about, and then shot down long term members "uninformed opinions?"

Seems to me like it's not so mint after all - Horn and idling problems. All from someone who advertised a car as perfect, and then tries to BS you with talk of chokes. :doh:

That aside, I hope you get it sorted with the help of us informed people and our opinions.