German snow !!!

mjh511

Been driving the zed in Germany since June had many many admiring looks, positive comments and compliments - it all felt pretty good - I had always intended to drive the car home before Christmas and take a hire car for Jan /Feb as the winter in Germany can be bad - but how lucky was I when the snow came in November!!! - I have been severely embarassed on the road having to abandoned the car in the middle of nowhere, slightest incline it looses grip, its like driving on a knife edge the most crappiest cars are able to kick sand in my face (or in this case snow) - I have lost a lot of confidence in the car, how can it be sooooooo bad, its now parked up at the factory where I am working waiting for a thaw so I can take it home and leave it there - really embarassing - I have a Astra hire car with snow tyres now and its brilliant !!! - on top of all this I have one of THOSE wifes.

Merry Chrismas !

put snow tyres on it and it becomes useable.

doesn't make the 350z rally equivilant but its useable.

to be honest i don't find rwd in the snow that bad; but thats my personal opinion. had rwd for the last 8 years and drive them as a daily driver, come rain, sun or snow.

All the BMW and Mercs are rear wheel drive and appear to be getting around with confidence which I believe is due to the snow tyres - expected to take it home before the snow came so no snow tyres, to buy a set of snow tyres for a couple of months is not cost effective - not complaining that it not 'good' in snow I knew it wouldnt be 'good' in the snow because I'd read articles about it but my shock was how bad it is - had at least a foot of snow to date and its snowing now it will stay parked up for the forseeable future.

I thought that legally you had to have Snow Tyres fitted in Germany :shrug:

Found this after a quick search -

"Driving on snow-covered roads in Germany is permitted only if your car is equipped with the proper tires. There are dedicated winter tires as well as all weather tires that may be acceptable. Use of regular summer tires in snowy or icy conditions can result in a fine and, much worse, loss of your insurance coverage in the event of an accident."

So I would leave the Zed parked up if it doesn't have Tyres with the proper symbols on :thumbs:

Drove all around Germany over the last week on rubbish summer tyres, albeit in a 4wd TT with all the ice & snow that was around. From what I got, it is not illegal to drive with summer tyres, but in the case of an accident, regardless of the circumstances you are liable if you have summer tyres and your insurance will not pay out.

Drove all around Germany over the last week on rubbish summer tyres, albeit in a 4wd TT with all the ice & snow that was around. From what I got, it is not illegal to drive with summer tyres, but in the case of an accident, regardless of the circumstances you are liable if you have summer tyres and your insurance will not pay out.

Better check whether or not it's illegal for you being a brit under UK law in another country.

All I know is that several of my german friends confirm that it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted to your car in germany during the winter months, hence why most drive around on steelies over there in the winter