BLACK ice!!!!!!! Bump!!!!!

Wasso

What a bummer, damn roads are treacherous and it's only December. Hopefully there's not too much damage and you can get it sorted quickly. We haven't had much snow round here but the council has used half of its grit already and because the Rock Salt Mine at Winsford is running at 100% capacity the council have imported some, which is now stuck in Cardiff, great :dry: I guess its the same all over the country but as soon as the roadsides bins get filled up someone comes along and takes the grit or even the entire bin!

Pete

The car overtaking me didn't flinch but I still managed to find the ice.

on a serious note ian...try an lsd. man i v still got the 888s on. havent bothered putting the hanzos back on after my last track day and black ice or grit doesnt bother the car if you treat it with respect. :)

Heck 888's that's a risk? To be honest not sure which tyres would have coped the back end just went? My Mrs 206 has coped very well, I may use that to get to work. It's the first time in my life I've ever experienced black ice like this, especially on a clear dual carriageway. I'm just so glad there wasn't more cosmetic damage. The front bumper is being changed in the next 2-3 months anyway, along with the wheels. Although I want the car checked over as the rim damage is pretty bad.

Not good reading this sort of news Ian :surrender: Hope the damage report is kind :thumbs:

It may not necessarily be black ice as any difference in traction levels may cause a skid and this is particularly true at this time of the year.

Just imagine how it is for me with 295x30x19" at the rear ;) My trick has been always been to try and keep all the 4 wheels on the same kind of surface wherever i can and if it where not possible to be proactive at the least hint of a skid.

You can always anticipate where the skid is going to happen most times, if you pay attention to the reading the road surface ahead and be cautious when the is possibility of BI.

This is typically when the is little of no snow on the tarmac hence the overlaying thin sheet of ice is practically invisible and catches out people who donot see the danger and reduce there speed accordingly. Another place to be wary about is when you have patches of new smooth tarmac and old rough tarmac. The transitions can be particularly treacherous in both frosty or wet conditions :scare: Hope this helps the unwary.