Mobile Speed Cameras

Traktion

I had a nice drive out form Southampton to Bath on Saturday and decided to go via Salisbury to get some more interesting roads. Of course, there was the usual quantity of traffic, all driving well under the speed limit getting in the way, but I was patient and waiting for chances to overtake.

After following a string of 3 cars all doing between 50 and 55 on a national speed limit road for a few miles, the road opened up to have a crawler lane on the inside and a passing lane, so I booted it to get around the slower moving cars as quickly and safely as possible (the other side could overtake in the lane also).

Just as I was passing the 3rd car on the crawler lane, the slight incline changed to a level straight and guess what was waiting for us on the left - a bloody mobile speed camera! :angry: So, after miles of following slow moving traffic and finally getting a chance to get around it swiftly and safely, I had to jam the brakes on to bleed off some speed and hope that he hadn't got his camera pointing at me. I was probably doing over 70, just about to complete the overtaking manoeuvre when he popped into view.

Is there *really* no better place to put those bloody cameras than after an uphill with a crawler lane opening out into a straight?! I think it's completely bonkers to put one there for any other reason than to make money off people doing exactly what I was doing - passing slow moving traffic swiftly and then returning to the 60 limit (or there abouts).

I've never been caught by a camera before, but now there are so many of the bloody things that I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just a matter of time before I will get one. If I get one for this BS situation, I'll be really pi**ed off though! :rant::thumbdown:

You get my sympathy too mate!! It's absolutely disgusting. I was caught by a mobile "safety camera" 2 years ago just outside Yeovil. I was doing 70 on a dual carriageway, but unknown to me it was a 60 zone. Anyway, the reason I was only doing 70 was because I already had 6 points on my licence and I thought I was travelling at the speed limit!! So, due to these weasely f***ers I went up to 9 points. I'm back down to 6 points now after 2 years of torture. My other 6 points were earned fair and square on the M6 and M74 by marked plod. No complaints as they could have threw the book at me both times, but the coppers who stopped me were decent blokes and weighed up the situations (dry roads, time of day, amount of traffic, type of car) very grateful for that. It's those sneaky mobile cameras that make me furious. Words can't describe how much I detest them. :rant:

I'm probably moving to Northern Ireland (where the girl friend is from) and some days I just can't wait. As much as I like England, the roads are just always busy and full of fines waiting to happen. It's not like I'm always flooring it everywhere, I just don't like dawdling 10mph below the limit on an open road (although in some 30 zones I do, like housing estates, near schools etc).

I know people always go on about roads in Wales and Scotland being great, but my drive around the south and the north of Ireland recently was thoroughly enjoyable. Most roads seem pretty empty, have lots of bends and hills and best of all, very few speed cameras (I think there is one fixed on heading north towards Belfast and that's it!) and reasonable speed limits (ie. not nanny state limits). I'm guessing this is something to do with the police having other things to worry about over the recent years, but if I could live near those roads every day, I would just be a happier man as I love my driving.

Hopefully, one day they'll stop making roads smaller (with hazard lines, removing lanes etc), stop putting stupid limits everywhere, which just causes more congestion and more tailgating (which means more cars with more angry drivers) and start actually fixing the problem. I just think the current policy isn't working and ruining the enjoyment of driving and lengthening our journey times.

I googled a site recently that had an article about speed and the dangers of it. Apparently:

FATAL CRASH FACTORS

Losing control

35%

Going too fast for conditions

17%

Failing to look properly

17%

Turning or maneouvring poorly

12%

Exceeding speed limit

12%

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5387568.stm)

Notice how exceeding the speed limit is not the major cause? How about we spend time teaching people to slow down in bad conditions, LOOK before they pull out and don't make any stupid maneouvers intead? Speed cameras can't stop them and they make up the majority of the fatal accidents. It's about time this whole farce of using speed cameras everywhere was stopped and I wish there was more I could do to help this! :rant:

I'm probably moving to Northern Ireland ........

Beware, I was over in NI in August. On the way to where we were staying from Belfast Airport, we were going along a road and the g/f said sometimes the Police hide along here....

Sure enough, there was PC Plod with his laser gun hiding in the trees.

Luckily she was within the limit.

You guys might wanna try this. Motorized License plate. I got one in my Z...It save me lot of speeding tickets..

real_men_pud-img600x488-1141142832350z_8-4.jpg

real_men_pud-img600x488-1141143060350z_9-1.jpg

When it's off,..you wont even know what's behind the plate..

real_men_pud-img600x488-1141143119350z_10-2.jpg

Surely highly illegal :scare:

Where can I get one :ninja:

Yeah!. It's totally illegal. But it does save a lot $$$... :teeth:

It is so fun to speeding through a speed camera without worry.

That product is only sell in Taiwan. If you guys want one,..I suggest you guys make a group buy,.so it will reduce some shipping charges..

cool! :welcome: btw, looks good! where are you from?? is that short for taipei? B)

I'm from Taipei. I come to London to visit my GF for a month, and will go back to Taipei next wednesday.

BTW, I'm here almost a month,.why I only saw 2 Zs on the street?

That product is only sell in Taiwan. If you guys want one,..I suggest you guys make a group buy,.so it will reduce some shipping charges..

I'm in for one :teeth:

I'm in for one :teeth:

I may need one soon :ninja:

The Speedflip's product is an old design. It is easily tell cops that you had that plate flipper.

Indeed! but its also just a £10 radio control servo mounted in a folded ally box for which they want > £100. I would rather do it myself and mount the servo inside the Zed's bumper so there would be no protrusion of any sort.

How does yours work hido? Can we have a close up of the plate in the flip position? :thumbs:

The Speedflip's product is an old design. It is easily tell cops that you had that plate flipper.

Indeed! but its also just a £10 radio control servo mounted in a folded ally box for which they want > £100. I would rather do it myself and mount the servo inside the Zed's bumper so there would be no protrusion of any sort.

How does yours work hido? Can we have a close up of the plate in the flip position? :thumbs:

Sure,.but you need to wait couple days. Because i'm in London right now.