Brake Warning Lights

spursmaddave

Last few days a couple of times the ABS TCS & ESP lights have all come on solid not flashing and have either cleared themselves or not come on when I have started the car later.

Yesterday they came on again so when I got home I turned the ignition off waited a couple of minutes and started the car up and sure enough they were gone... I then touched the brake pedal very softly and they came straight back on again.

Sent a PM to the place that fitted DBA pads for me just a few weeks ago and they suggested I check the Brake Fluid as it might be low, but surely they would have had to drain this to fit the pads and should have checked it was ok when they were done? I am pretty sure that another garage put brand new Fluids in just a few months ago when I had HEL lines fitted, not going to mention any names until I know whats what... but the one that fitted the Brake lines I have used loads and the one that fitted the Pads was the first time although both are Traders on here and get only good feedback :thumbs:

If I do need to top the Brake Fluid up, what should I be getting and anything to watch out for when topping it up?

Have you actually checked the brake fluid yet? What did they put in there?

You don't drain fluid for a pad change but you do for a brakeline change.

+1 - although actually, you dont need (and should not) fully drain the fluid when changing the lines. You should bung the hard lines when you remove the flexible ones, which means that air does not get in the system, so when you then fully flush the lines with new fluid, its a lot lot easier.

When changing pads the fluid level will rise as you force the fluid back to the master cylinder as the pads are thicker which means fluid is pushed back.

Have a look at the levels. Its likely to be low brake fluid. Go and check all the connections between hard lines and the new braided ones, and also at the calliper. Could be loose connectors to the lines, or loose bleed nipples are letting fluid out.

Have you actually checked the brake fluid yet? What did they put in there? .

Good point. Although I am sure they would not have mixed mineral and synthetic worth double checking. If in doubt bleed system through and check all seals. To be "by the book" on this one as it is the braking system we are talkng about. all seals should also be changed if cross contamination has occured. Hope you get it sorted! :thumbs:

Dave as Chris has already said its prolly just down to the fact your new pads will now have started wearing. Go check your brake fluid level.

You'll be able to tell if its fresh by the colour- if its any shade of caramel then they didn't change the fluid. If its clear- pale yellow it is brand new fluid and will just need topped up a wee bit - VERY slowly and carefuly you don't want that stuff on your hands or paintwork. Phone the garage back an ask them what they put in so yu can use same to top up :thumbs:

Thanks guys ( & Vik ) I am almost certain the brake fluid was changed when the lines were put on but can't check as the missus is sleep at the moment...

The CEL light is on but that is down to the HFC's I had fitted as I have reset the ECU once and it came up with an o2 sensor fault... I have some spacers that ZmanAlex sent me but not fitted them yet...

I will nip out and check the brake fluid in a bit, is there a level marker on it?

I have booked in for an upRev in 2 weeks time anyway so that along with the spacers should sort out the CEL and hopefully I just need a top up of brake fluid.... sure when they changed it they mentioned blue something ?

Bright blue?! What the bloody hell did they put in there?! :scare:

Seriously though, anyone know who makes blue brake fluid? I'm more curious now than anything.

It was Abbey that changed the brake lines and the fluid :thumbs: I remember Scott telling me not to worry that it was blue.

Well I am off to Abbey for an upRev in 2 weeks so unless the problem gets worse I will leave it till them, I can use my other car next week anyway so no need to panic I guess...

photo2hi.jpg

It'll be ATE fluid, and its meant to be blue ;) If Abbey did it then its safe to assume they did it right too. Doesnt meant here arent any leaks though, so check around the hard lines and callipers :thumbs:

I'm no grease monkey :surrender:

I wouldn't know a hard line from a soft one :blush:

Won't be driving the car this next week and then going to Abbey on the 21st so will get them to have a check around then :thumbs:

The CEL light is on but that is down to the HFC's I had fitted as I have reset the ECU once and it came up with an o2 sensor fault... I have some spacers that ZmanAlex sent me but not fitted them yet...

dont even bother with the spacers, I will sort the CEL problem out when I do the Uprev.

The fluid isn't low fromt he picture you posted and yes we use ATE blue fluid, best brake fluid on the market , people will say Castrol SRF is the best but is for race cars so needs changing very often due to it's hydrascopic tendencies ( ie it tendency to absorb water which lowers brake fluid boiling temp) I have used ATE brake fluid a lot during my motor racing time at Le Mans , Daytone etc etc so it's pretty good stuff and it's blue in colour so you know you have had your fluid changed :D

Sounds like the car has another problem some to do with traction or EPS problem, we can look into this when we see you in the New Year.

Mark

• 6 months later...

I had the same problem, looks like it has cleared so update for future ref......

Got the car back to the old mans and the three light were still coming on so hooked up the code reader. Registered a diagnostic code for the abs (P1211 ABS/TCS Control Unit - at a guess)..... apologies lost the bit of paper i scribbled the code on. But sent me poking around the abs sensors and the unit in beside the brake reservoir.... but no luck.

Then had to give my mum a lift to the shop and someone stopped me to tell me my brake lights were not working, seemed to get a very faint glow from the led’s. Checked fuses etc and the two 'micro' switches which are mounted onto the body of the brake pedal. Again could not find the source of the error but this time the lights remained off for an hour of driving.

had another look at the brake pedal switches and looks like there are sticking. Pressed in break peddle with my foot and reached down and flicked the switches in and out a few times rapidly and the error has completely gone for 3 weeks now.....

Nice easy cheap fix!!!!!!!!!! :teeth: