Tyre Pressure Monitor

Gentle

It was for the temp as well as the psi. Got a bit worried when I got out of my car and realised I'd pretty much worn my tyres out. I thought with this, I can keep an eye on the temp as well.

Really wanting to get winter tyres but they're about £160/£220 each. Will probably need a set of 4 too rather than just rear ones so it's gonna cost me a fortune.

• 10 months later...

I've got an identical set off eBay but a different brand logo. Very easy to install the wheel sensors during a tire change (the garage actually fitted them for free). The unit itself is powered from the cigarette lighter but I had it hard wired and mounted under and to the left of the steering wheel.

5 months on still very happy with it. Picks up sensors within 20seconds. Options of Temp in C or F, Pressure in Bar or PSi, and option to check battery voltage. There's a mode which alternates automatically every few seconds between temp and pressure displays which is what I leave it on. It picks up drops in pressure very quickly and beeps loud below about 24psi.

Batteries in each sensor are supposed to last 7 years...

I bought these after I punctured a front tyre and didn't realise until it had shredded to pieces and I nearly ended up in a tree!

I went for these from Maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/wireless-tyre-p ... tem-390208

I considered the ones on EBay but the sensors need to be installed inside the wheels at £20-25 per wheel. The Maplins TPMS detector simply replaces the existing dust caps. They have a lock mechanism so they can't be stolen by some random passer by. I fitted the gauge into drinks holder on the passengers side.

Pete