Birdview sat nav versus Alpine

Dave_McC

I'm continuing to lurk round here while I make my mind up about getting a Z, but was wondering what people think about the Nissan Birdview sat nav compared to Alpine.

Been looking at some car audio websites, and I could get a very smart looking Alpine W200 head unit (double DIN unit, touch screen, plays MP3 and WMA and most importantly will control an iPod) and the Alpine sat nav control box (N099 I think it is) for £1,300 - that's only 100 notes more than Nissan want for Birdview and will give me a much better head unit.

Has anyone used both nissan and alpine sat navs - thoughts...???

Ta

Dave

Go for the alpine mate I can't reccomend Birdview. Except for the fact its integrated and the new ones don't require the silly remote. Also my 2005 cars supposedly 2005 disc does not even know the toll road on the m6. According to the dealers the disc is actually from 2001 ish and if i want a more up to date disc it will cost 200 quid.

As far as nav goes, the portable systems (tomtom etc) seem to work the best

The Alpine Nav system is one of the best out there if not the best. For those wanting the best they would go for the Alpine over one of the smaller more compact things - obviously more expensive but they are worth thier while if you really need the best nav

I had the Nissan Sat Nav previously and I quite liked it. The system was a bit archaic but it did the job. Given the choice though I'd rather have the Alpine system and all it comes with rather than the Nissan Sat Nav.

Matt

From what I can work out, Alpine are due to release a bluetooth module any time now which will work with all the recent AiNet head units, and price seems to be £200. However, I know you can get an adaptor to maintain the audio steering wheel controls, but haven't seen any info on maintaining the phone steering wheel controls - so guessing this is currently not possible.

Won't bother me as I'm planning on getting a roadster which doesn't come with phone anyway.

Dave

Matt

From what I can work out, Alpine are due to release a bluetooth module any time now which will work with all the recent AiNet head units, and price seems to be £200.

Alpine have been really struggling with the Bluetooth adapter, they have been trying to sort it for quite a few months now so don't expect it anytime soon.

thanks guys... as having only just got my Z (and paying extra for the GT and 'bose') I'm not immediately looking to upgrade the stereo... perhaps in the future but I do like the look of the alpine stuff - perhaps by the time i'm ready the bluetooth module will be sorted...