double din installed, lessons learnt...

threefiftyz

Firstly thanks to everyone whos contributed to varity of guides on ere :thumbs: - without them i would have been totally lost!

Ordered the ict loom/double din adaptor/steering wheel looms from sextons monday, they arrived thursday, fixed it all together yday it pretty much took all day and it was freezing - not fun :cold:

Tips for anyone attempting to replace the bose with an aftermarket...

If your new stereo has 2 volt pre outs like mine (or less) - you may want to order the (PC9-460 RCA Line Level Booster) with the original bits to save messing around later - this is assuming you like your music loud, my dn7200 has 2volt preouts and isnt amazingly loud althou im kinda passed the stage of blasting the tunes so the whole neighbourhood can hear!

If you do decide to order the booster as far i can see it only accepts 1 pair of rca's.....unsure how this works? can somone advise?

Secondly, when unplugging the original nissan loom from the bose, its much easier to tune the bose unside down in order the access the clip that releases the plug (sorry if this is obvious to some but spent ages trying to remove the plugs and was getting seriously pi$$ed off - its a 2 second job with the bose upside down :doh:)

Lastly, trying the fit all those new cables/looms/rca's behind the new system was a nightmare, if you can remove any cabling that isnt needed the i recommend you do so, its a case to trying to stuff em any space you can find. Their is a void space a the top but its hard to get the cables to stay up their - if you have some sticky pads and can stick a couple of the white boxes in this space that may help - other than that remain persistant, and goodluck :thumbs:

i installed the Kenwood dnx7200 with bluetooth and Ipod connection,

Couple of pics of the final look...

Image0206.jpg

Image0208.jpg

:)

thanks sparky, its handy unit with a quality screen...very happy with it

mounted the bluetooth mic on the right hand pillar, just slotted in near the airbag writing

the bluetooth box has been mounted behind the ac controls, gps for the sat nav is nicely tucked away "on" the cubby hole above the double din if that makes sense!

the ipod lead on the otherhand is dangling behind the pasnger seat atm :blush: , how does everyone get it into the armrest compartment without cutting the lead?

i just cant get the ipod lead into the armrest compartment. i have used stiff wire and everything. i can get the draw wire through but the ipod lead just wont fit!!

thats where i mounted the mic. it just sort of slips in. and the GPS module, are u sure that will work OK? when i fitted mine in the ST i managed to find a route right up to behind the rear view mirror. im sure i wouldnt be that difficult to do the same in the zed.

only problem is i have an ipad and it just wont fit in the armrest hole. so it would just be in the coiled up anyway!! :wacko::lol:

thats way too cool B) ......get a ipod like everyone else........ :lol:

hopefully someone will be along to point us in the right direction, their must be a trick to it a i seen it done loads before

after a quick panic attack ive just legged it outside to check the sat nav picks up signal.....had it in a similar place on my old g7 celica assumed it would work the same on the 350.....thankfully it does :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for nice comments :thumbs:

I'm fitting the a similar Kenwood. Are you happy with the facia adaptor fit and do all cables ie steering wheel controls work as they should?

Also would you mind adding links for cables and adapters used? Thanks

very happy with the facia adaptor fits, if im being picky one criticism is if i want to adjust the screen angle (which i dont have the need to) or eject a cd/dvd/mp3 the front can clip the facia - like i said thats being extremely picky its only happened once since i installed it. Also in the 2nd pic it doesnt look 100% completey flush - theirs enough play in the adaptor to sort this ...its now 100% in terms of flushness :)

The steering wheel controls works fine, remember the phone button wont work but the volume and change track works as it should, also the remaining button will change source.

these are the parts i ordered from sextons website, the guys really helpful :thumbs:

ICT 50-256 - Nissan 350Z Pre 06 Double Din £14.95

ICT 29-674 - Nissan 350z Bose USC Loom £32.99

ICT 29-005 - Kenwood head-unit lead £4.49

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for nice comments :thumbs:

I'm fitting the a similar Kenwood. Are you happy with the facia adaptor fit and do all cables ie steering wheel controls work as they should?

Also would you mind adding links for cables and adapters used? Thanks

very happy with the facia adaptor fits, if im being picky one criticism is if i want to adjust the screen angle (which i dont have the need to) or eject a cd/dvd/mp3 the front can clip the facia - like i said thats being extremely picky its only happened once since i installed it. Also in the 2nd pic it doesnt look 100% completey flush - theirs enough play in the adaptor to sort this ...its now 100% in terms of flushness :)

The steering wheel controls works fine, remember the phone button wont work but the volume and change track works as it should, also the remaining button will change source.

these are the parts i ordered from sextons website, the guys really helpful :thumbs:

ICT 50-256 - Nissan 350Z Pre 06 Double Din £14.95

ICT 29-674 - Nissan 350z Bose USC Loom £32.99

ICT 29-005 - Kenwood head-unit lead £4.49

Hope this helps

Top man thanks for you help!