suspension help?

sinbad

I am interested in improving the handling of my zed and would like some help on what i should do first.

Basically i am after improving my zed for fast a-road type setup without going Coilovers as i will be doing very little track driving and would like to keep cost + ride reasonable.

Should i go for ARB@S first?

I was thinking of getting up-rated ARB's but how much labour is involved and what effect will these have? (Possible options Cusco, Tanabe, Nismo)

Or:

would it be better to get an uprated damper and spring setup?

What would be a recomended setup? (Koni+Eibach? etc..)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Cheers ir_fuel but i'm planning to do that as well as the suspension work.

Theirs always something to learn and i'll be going on as many driving courses as i can afford.

Finding ones that are not a rally or supercar experience is hard.

Anyone any expert know how on the suspension?

Whats the problem with the default suspension?

I always felt it was under damped when pushing hard. This is exagerated with bigger wheels. I found it to wallow on bumpy fast sweeping bends.

The Tokico D-Specs are the way to go. These are the same as the Nismo S-Tune, (Tokico make then), and they also have the advantage of being adjustable.

As far as getting these are concerned, the are just about impossible to get in the UK. I imported them from the states.

• 2 weeks later...
Whats the problem with the default suspension?

The rebound is too soft when pushing hard - the car lifts too much and this can upset the balance. It's also a little bit soft for track days.

I have the KW Variant 3 lowered appx 10mm and Stillen Front and rear Anti Roll Bars - all on medium setting. This set-up is far superior to the standard Euro set-up and the ride quality is still good. This opinion is also shared by Colin Goad from CAT who was instrumental in the European suspension set-up for the 350z.

If you want specific training on the 350z then Colin Hoad is your man. http://www.catdrivertraining.co.uk/

not even a hint of pricing on that website :dry: can't be arsed emailing them tbh

Plus miles away from the NW, not helping either in my case. Will want something more local for this type of training

dont be miserable Val... make a couple of days holiday out of it :thumbs:

I also have the Tokico D-Specs and RSR Ti2000 springs - great setup!

I got them from Ebay from RaceOptions (who don't seem to list them anymore - maybe you could contact them and ask?)... anyway they were shipped immediately with a tracking number, and I received them in 4 days to Switzerland.

not even a hint of pricing on that website :dry: can't be arsed emailing them tbh

Plus miles away from the NW, not helping either in my case. Will want something more local for this type of training

Val, it's about £300 for the day based on a minimum group of 5. Colin will do 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 training for a reasonable price.

Grant

Removed by mod/admin

Understand what you are trying to do re the prices, Colin, but when I see that I don't get inspired to ring, I just think I probably can't afford it and move on. How about giving us an idea on your other thread? :)

• 4 months later...

O.k. Well it looks like i may be putting off buying a house until i know what the market is doing. This now free's up abit of cash so i'm thinking of taking the plunge on getting some suspension. I don't want coilovers as im worried that there going to be too harsh and need top mounts which is extra cost. The setup that Val has seems to get the thumbs up, However I'm struggling to find the RSR springs, the Hotchkis are abit too soft so i think i may go for the Tein S-tech springs along with Tokico D-spec dampers, both from the states.

My question is, will this setup be o.k.? I've tried to get the spring rates close to the RSR setup. The Teins are stiffer front and softer rear, from my very basic knowledge, won't this increase oversteer?

Hotchkis sport coils-------------- 340lbs front/ 330lbs rear

Tokico spring/damper set ------ 375lbs front/ 375 lbs rear

RSR springs ---------------------- 365 lbs front/417 lbs

Tein S-Tech ---------------------- 386 lbs front/403 lbs

I know this is a tough question so any help or advice will be appreciated.

My question is, will this setup be o.k.? I've tried to get the spring rates close to the RSR setup. The Teins are stiffer front and softer rear, from my very basic knowledge, won't this increase oversteer?

I know this is a tough question so any help or advice will be appreciated.

You should find that it's the opposite - the more hard the rear, the more it will oversteer.