mixing tyres in winter

jimgallaher

I've heard that winter driving in a zed can be a rather "interesting" experience, so being at heart a cautious, not to mention miserable sod( don't want to spend 000's of £'s after putting my pride and joy sideways down an icy road) I've decided to invest in some winter tyres.

I know it's never good to mix tyres,but do I really need to put winter tyres an all corners or is it ok just toput them on the driven wheels ?

presently I've Falken 452's all round

I worked out the other day, it cost me about £600 to replace four tyres (20's)

And I thought to myself, if i wanted to put "winter tyres" on, surely you could pick up a little car for around £500! Id rather boot around in that than take the zed out in the winter!

Just thought I would throw that one in there! ha ha

i've contemplated this as well, it should give you more grip and stop the rear sliding around as much. as long as your not mixing across the axle it should be ok.

the reccomended advice would be same tyres all round.

It's not really that simple. There is a video online showing what can happen. But you might have no steering you don't replace the fronts. Also you will have big problems when it comes to braking.

If you don't plan on running tcs then get some part Worn non standard sized winter tyres.

I worked out the other day, it cost me about £600 to replace four tyres (20's)

And I thought to myself, if i wanted to put "winter tyres" on, surely you could pick up a little car for around £500! Id rather boot around in that than take the zed out in the winter!

Just thought I would throw that one in there! ha ha

exactly, mine cost 350 quid plus 200 quid insurance. sorted!