Popped my car limits cherry

Will370z

Oh boy have i had fun today. Spent a good few hours yesterday washing, polishing and waxing the little roadster so i could take her to Northweald airfield and pop my car limits cherry.

Perfect weather as it was light drizzle and my aim was to see what she was like in the wet with no ESP. (Ofc course this totally messed up all my cleaning efforts of the previous day).

Loved the high speed corner and managed 2 full 180 spins (now that was exhilirating). Only managed a max speed of 53 though :(, felt like 100 though.

Small circuit was a lot of fun, she sounded great and flew down the straight but against the vx220's i couldnt keep up. Totally different car though and for the trip home on a long motorway cruise i know which car i would want to be in.

Car fwlt fantastic, i could really feel everything and even when the back decided to kick out i was able to control and recover it. And when she squirmed she still felt very stable. Made me feel really confident with the car now i know what she can do. Amazed by how easily all the cars could just let go in the wet so easily if a touch too much power was applied. The supra there was pirouetting like a profession ballet dancer, didnt this he realised this didnt give him extra points.

The day was the best £50 ive ever spent and it was well run and a lot of fun. Went along with my friend who just bought a vx220. He invited me with their club. Really nice bunch of lads. Met a nice 350z there that had been heavily modified with twin turbos. He got the best speed around the high speed corner (69). He didnt know about the forum but said he would check it out.

Here are some photos and videos. Watching them now it looks like i was going sooooooooo slow. I think youtube has slowed them down cos they wanted to see more of the car.

If you get the chance to go on one of these i can definitely recommend it.

Newmotor005.jpg

Newmotor007.jpg

Newmotor006.jpg

Newmotor004.jpg

Newmotor002.jpg

More pics to follow

Nice one Will, I knew you would have enjoyed it, was Andy there today?

Now you have to do it in the dry, the high speed corner is great but has no mercy on the tyres when you give it a little too much, great video, lovelly and smooth :thumbs:

IMG_2824.jpg

The next one is a drift day at oulton park :drive1 We missed you at the Grasshopper meet, a good turnout & some good Carvery, Waitress wasn`t to bad either

Looks like you had some fun and a good introduction to finding your cars limits, as the title says.

Certainly something we should be looking at as a forum and yes, best on a wet day to start with and being a little easier on tyres. :thumbs:

I was thinking about this the other day, I might drop Andy an e-mail sometime, to see about possibly organising a corporate activity day, trouble is we would be likely to have to have a minimum number of cars to cover the costs of having it to ourselves. I know there are not many public activity days held in the course of the year, there normally LOT only days as I did a few myself in the days of the Elise :drive1

As you are kicking your heels at the mo..... (sorry about that :lol: ) perhaps you can see what could be set up for next year?

The team are currently sorting out the calendar of events for 2011 so it would be good to slot one in, say spring time next year when the weather is usually wet :doh:

As you are kicking your heels at the mo..... (sorry about that :lol: ) perhaps you can see what could be set up for next year?

The team are currently sorting out the calendar of events for 2011 so it would be good to slot one in, say spring time next year when the weather is usually wet :doh:

I`m just kicking my heel :p not heels :dry:

Yes good thinking, it`s not often we hope for wet weather, apart from when your ex partner is getting married :evil:

Who's is the GM with the custom front air intake and brake ducts + cage!!!!!!

Definitely a great idea for a club event, especially at this price.

Didnt get the name of the chap in the zed but it was a beast. He was also a pro drifter on the large circuit, really got the tail out and handled it well. Did i mention it was twin turbo'd too..... :)

Sounds great Will, I will have to book myself in when my tyres are just about to go ;)

Maybe we should have a South East meet there are all have some fun :drive1

Just wait until I have been at least once so I don't look too much of a spanner :blush:

I'd definitely be up for another go, so much fun. We should definitely get a group together for a wet day

• 4 months later...

Bumping an old thread I was considering doing one of thier cheaper £50 days, im a bit chicken for a track day as only have my Zed so if i stacked it would be in trouble but the carlimits days look like a great and really safe way to get to know your car even better as well as having some semi competative fun.

Anyone else planned one? Been on one of the cheaper days?

Funny you should bump this thread when you did as I am about to go on my next activity day this Sunday at the same place.

Darren, phil and I are all set and can't wait, only £48 for the day so you should definitely sign up. There is a huge run off and they only allow one car at a time so there is no risk, just a lot of fun to be had.

Will post up some pics and videos when we get back

Look on corporate days events. Not sure why they are corporate but we always sign up for those.

Just doing the same thing as last time, high speed corner in the morning and then 2 separate circuits to go around in the afternoon. Audi r8 going this time which should be interesting.

Can't wait tosee what difference my up rev will have lol

I've scoured that picture but still can't see a Merc, wasn't Mark up to the challenge ;)

Looks like you had fun Will :) and yes, I missed this first time round :doh:

Haha I did try to pursuade him, he nearly caved but he just had some new tyres put on and didn't want to break them in with a few spins. :teeth:

There is another thread on the forum, I believe it was called learning to drive in east Anglia / south east if memory serves right. People were looking to sign up and go as a group. I just couldn't wait so signed up with phil and Darren.

Definitely recommend it, you should get your names down for a future event.