Engine Temp

MattMe

Just a quick question...

What temprature would an engine block reach usually? I'm guessing less than 100 degrees celcius, as the water would boil above that. Sounds logical to me, but these things aren't always as they first seem I guess.

Would the entire engine reach the same temp all over, as the metal would conduct the heat? Or would it just be the areas which the water cools that would stay below 100?

Would all water-cooled engines run at approximately the same temp?

Some random questions, but we were discussing it at work the other day.

Any input?

:shrug:

Water doesn't boil at 100C when under pressure as in a car, so temps of 130C aren't unheard of (although a little on the high side!). All engines will run at different temperatures dependant on their original design, use, age etc. Some bits of the engine will be hotter than others, but I wouldn't like to put my hand on any part when running to find out ;)

Ah, never knew that water boiled at a higher temp under presure. Or maybe I have known it since school, but forgot :blush:

So does that mean average temp for the block of a water-cooled engine wouldn't go over 130?

What would average kind of operating temp be in a 350, for example?

On reading another thread regarding oil, some folk pointed out that their oil temp was going over 135 on track, so their blocks must be going over 135, and therefore the water too?

See - I knew it wouldn't bea straight forward 'less that 100' kind of answer!

I'm asking for two reasons:

1 - Because I'm curious, and we discussed it at work. Nobody knew for sure.

2 - Because if I'm to make a component that sits inside the plenum chamber I don't want it to melt!

No FI, just typical engine temps (out of curiousity), and max temps you would see a block reach before other components or fluids fail.

:thumbs:

2 - Because if I'm to make a component that sits inside the plenum chamber I don't want it to melt!

No FI, just typical engine temps (out of curiousity), and max temps you would see a block reach before other components or fluids fail.

get nylon washers for the plenum spacer that can handle 200+ :dance:

get nylon washers for the plenum spacer that can handle 200+ :dance:

Haha! You saw straight through my thinly disguised efforts! I'm looking at materials that are 160+ anyway, which should be enough, but might go higher to be double-sure! I'm guessing the plenum would be one of the coolest areas of the engine so it shouldn't be an issue.

Otherthanthat, I'm still interested in the block temps and max water temps etc.