Our little Datsun is Alive!!! Baby 350Z

stanski

As you know this week I saved a little Datsun Cherry from certain death - impulse buy :blush: ... yet however today I can say of all the cars I have ever owned this one has earned my admiration :thumbs:

Finally had time to take the tarp off it, put a new battery on - turn the key and it started no problem. So far everything seems to work perfectly, even the engine sounds sweet. The rear seat looks like its never been used.

The only thing that has failed is the nearside headlamp bulb! Bugger - a brand new Vauxhall has that as standard! :p

The rear bumper apparently was a new purchase (12 years ago) but has survived well.

It has been resprayed at some point but looks presentable. Since the weather has been so cold recently I was concerned over the radiator not having any antifreeze - so opened up the pressure cap and added some water thinking there was none - wrong it just needed a teeny top up - so far so good - no leaks except a petrol pipe at the back somewhere - first to-do item I think.

Drove it to the end of my drive and back again - really easy and fun to drive actually with a great gearchange - of course all fluids and cables will be replaced as a matter of course, I think even the old battery is salvageable (on charge now) plates were covered in acid no dry chambers.

Shame there is a rip in the drivers seat but I can fix that without too much hassle.

Its surprising how small yet roomy this car is the floor is flat and the seats tip forward easily to access the rear (handy for Ania)

Anyway thought I would share some pictures taken today.

We have decided to go down the - get the work done for it to be MOT'd tax it and use it - with a proper tart up in summer.

Lets hope its ok on the motorway :surrender:

Oh its called Doris btw! :D

Must remember to pump up the tyres!

WJ3vUv3XqS.jpg

My favourite view - love that coke bottle shape!

CmDCTxedgB.jpg

Ania wondering what has dad gone and done now! :blush:

QCX3DkOWDY.jpg

I like that 70's dash its quite sporty looking really - I can pretend its our baby Zed!

jRS3Z1mWfX.jpg

Need carpet fitting otherwise think it just needs a clean?

no1NqZOSzO.jpg

Period shelf speakers - will keep them!

QdUDY84o5k.jpg

Engine bay will need a tidy up but nothing major thats obvious yet? :scare:

7lQES02K1V.jpg

Should be a nice little project.

Any aspirations on seeing if more "updated" Nissan items will fit?

Like a RB26DETT or VQ35DE? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like 350Z Rays wont fit tho, there is a stud missing....

I could probably shoe horn a new Micra

Engine in or maybe a Copen engine with a turbo! But no we like it stock that's it's charm. Alloys maybe one day not massive Nismos though :surrender:

Just wish I'd have taken some photos of the interiors of my old cars :bang: . I guess the majority of members will never have seen a setup like that, only one stalk, lights and washers on the dash I'd forgotten just how basic they were, having said that, they were hundreds of pounds cheaper than competitors cars and you didn't have to take them in to be fixed every few weeks :thumbs: . I honestly believe that the Cherry and Sunny together with the Corolla signalled the beginning of the end for British Leyland and The Rootes group (Hillman, Sunbeam, etc), customers were sick to death of poor unreliable designs. I owned a total of 5 Cherries between 1977 and 1984 including a 1200 fastback which was pretty cool. Good luck with the restoration hope to see it around here soon :D .

Pete

Thanks for the replies and 70's memories . My

Mates dad had that celica in black too very cool looking in it's day.

I used to basic interiors with my beetles and vans and I like the simpler designs over a lot of the stuff today.

Agreed its a bit concerning being in a 70's biscuit tin today but you can say that about anything. I drive my Vw camper 700 miles a week on the motorway and yes it doesn't feel as safe as a modern car but as long as you can be aware of everything around you and stay sensible and keep it serviced properly. :)

Thanks for the replies and 70's memories . My

Mates dad had that celica in black too very cool looking in it's day.

I used to basic interiors with my beetles and vans and I like the simpler designs over a lot of the stuff today.

Agreed its a bit concerning being in a 70's biscuit tin today but you can say that about anything. I drive my Vw camper 700 miles a week on the motorway and yes it doesn't feel as safe as a modern car but as long as you can be aware of everything around you and stay sensible and keep it serviced properly. :)

Yeah I tend to agree I guess, I am VERY aware of other drivers around me, you have to be these days as even a short trip to the shops can be eventful :scare:

I suppose the other extreme is mothers taking a huge 4x4 on the 2 mile school run :rant:

My 70's memories are confined to being in a cot :dummy: , primary school in 74 and 'big' school in 1980...

I probably had some of the cars in the pics as toys though :lol:

I don't think we are that much apart age wise I was a loon in the 70's also but I seem to have a fantastic memory then now I can't remember what I did last week?? :headhurt:

Speak for yourself Grandad :wheelchair:

As far as the memory goes there is a really great website that teaches you memory techniques, it really is fantastic and works a treat... now if I could only remember what it was called :doh:

I don't think we are that much apart age wise I was a loon in the 70's also but I seem to have a fantastic memory then now I can't remember what I did last week?? :headhurt:

Speak for yourself Grandad :wheelchair:

As far as the memory goes there is a really great website that teaches you memory techniques, it really is fantastic and works a treat... now if I could only remember what it was called :doh:

Oi cheek!! Only a couple of years older .... Ahem :blush:

Anyway bit if an update , spent an hour trying to fix a petrol leak in the fuel line, managed to get petrol all over the drive when I tipped the jar I put underneath to catch the drips :headhurt: Handbrake cable snapped so just leave it in gear - of course I forgot this and nearly rolled into the garage door while turning the starter over.

After charging the battery last night it holds full charge well and is back in the car. Suddenly both headlights now work? Amazing what a bit of copper grease does and tightening a few cables. :)

The wipers have 2 speeds and are fine, the interior blower is good too and pushes out some air - wish my van's did!!

So ended on a good note today after a shakey start but have discovered one

Of my hub caps have gone missing , probably lying on the M74 somewhere :shrug:

Looking good there Stan, Fran was concerned that you had about 7 cars now, but i updated her on your fleet :lol: Judging by her comments, I'd better not get any similar ideas!

I know it's getting a bit ridiculous but it's bleeding hard to find a lockup where I can't work on them! Hey I only have 4 cars, Lucy has her 2! :blush:

Long term something must go but I am brushing that under the carpet.....for now.

Maybe one of those under the garden hydraulic garages might be a good solution - thunderbirds style :blink: