Newbie with questions!!!

Hi all.

I've recently bagged myself a mint '05 zed and have been enjoying having power going to the rear tyres again after selling a 230bhp RX8 just over a year ago. I am loving the 'slight' increase in power and especially torque, the only problem is that I have to let my wife drive it and she's used to a 1.1 Saxo!!! She is learning quickly and we've managed 6 weeks without curbing the Rays.

I have been scouting around the forum and found loads of very useful posts so look forward to spending many hours on here.

I have been trying to find some information on exhausts on here but there is just so much out there I'm getting confused! My centre section has cracked/ broken at the flange where it connects to the back box, the box looks very new (possibly stainless but painted black for some reason) so I am after some options. Can you buy a stainless centre section and possibly Y section in stainless which will connect to my back box or if not which stainless systems are worth looking at, I could do with some prices if known.

Cheers in advance

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

This is a common problem with the zed, there are a few options. You can normally get it welded for a few quid. Many owners upgrade the exhaust so there are a lot of standard ones lying around. You can pick them up pretty cheap on here.

If you want to take a hint from the car that it wants an upgrade there are lots of options. The best way to decide what you want is to get to a meet and hear them close up. Sound clips are not always very good.

I might look into getting it welded until I can get to a meet to hear them up close as you suggest, the sound clips on Youtube are pretty poor to be used as a comparison.

Do you know if it is still possible to weld it as its right on the flange? It does sound good at the moment with the popping when you back off the throttle but it's let down but the broken exhaust rattle at low revs!

Are there many members in the Southampton/ Fareham area and how often do you guys meet up?

Hey Zugara,

What exhaust are you using? Do you know anyone locally who might be able to weld up mine until I can convince my wife that we need a stainless system?

I'm in Hedge End so not far away, have got a bit to do today so probably won't be able to come over. Thanks for the offer, I would like to catch up at some point if the offers open.

Hey Zugara,

What exhaust are you using? Do you know anyone locally who might be able to weld up mine until I can convince my wife that we need a stainless system?

I'm in Hedge End so not far away, have got a bit to do today so probably won't be able to come over. Thanks for the offer, I would like to catch up at some point if the offers open.

Tim,Bo.

I can pop and see you if you like, my sisters in Hedge end so could visit her as well. I quite fancy a drive on this nice day.

Txt me if you want me too pop over. :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41945

My offer is always open... :thumbs:

Thanks for the warm welcome, I have had a fair bit of useful advice already.

I have found out from a few phone calls today that only Nissan seem to make replacement centre boxes and they want £200 +vat for them! looks like a stainless system is the way forward. I had a listen to Zugara's exhaust last night, it is very tasty but I'm a little worried it could be a bit loud on a coupe for daily driving. I have found a Scorpion system but they don't include the flexy's, is this a problem to fit (are the existing flexy's likely to be corroded, need to check later)?

I'm more worried about the sound and volume, I want an exhaust which is slightly louder that the OEM one unless a plant my right foot. I am also tempted to give a couple of track days a go, I've never done one in my own car (apart from a few touristfahren laps if the Nurburgring in my RX8). I know some tracks have low-ish dB levels, has anyone had any problems on track days or know the dB level of any exhausts?

Sally, I would never suggest that a female in particular would curb the rims, its more the size of the car in my situation (Saxo footprint/ visibility easier to cope with). :surrender:

I hope I got away with that! :teeth:

Have you all told you insurance companies about having a 'modified' exhaust or have you claimed that its a direct replacement?

If any companies have charges extra, how much has it been? I have been insured with companies previously that have not had an issue with any mods up to a 10% increase in power.

Zugara, your zorst sounded great but convincing my wife to deal with the 'slight' extra noise wasn't quite so easy. :thumbdown:

Thanks for the tips and the info on selling the back box.

Your welcome. Its deffo a marmite zorst. Sure you willike the scorpion.