Zed's in winter

jimgallaher

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a word YES

I bought my Zed last November and we had really bad snow in SE January time, it took me 4 hours to get my Zed 18 miles... and those 18 miles were the worst of my life :scare:

Lots of slipping, lots of TC sounding like someone hammering on the underside of the car. I honestly felt 20 years older when I got in.... Never ever again!

The next day it was worse, I got in my little FWD Diesel Hatchback and had no problem at all!

Pussies :phttp://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31286

No denying you need to pay attention in the zed - but you've got ESP and ABS - just take it easy :thumbs:

+1

I asked the question a while ago and was told with some decent tyres and taking it easy it should be no problem. I'm thinking about picking up a cheap disco with 8 months mot (minimum) remaining cause the roads around me flood allot this time of year.

Pussies :phttp://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=31286

No denying you need to pay attention in the zed - but you've got ESP and ABS - just take it easy :thumbs:

Yeah but what about all the other idiots in the snow, you can be as careful as you like then someone slides into you... Just not worth the risk if you don't have to. If you have no choice then yeah just take it easy.

i did damage costing me a fair amount and it SO wasnt worth it. drove carefully everywhere.

added to that, when i came out of work one day, crossing the 3 lanes of the A46 as i always do, in traffic, it's on an ever so slight incline and i couldnt get up it. the A46 was at a standstill while i straddled all 3 lanes :dry:

with good winter tyres it will be fine, i didn't use winter tyres and din't find it that difficult. had one interesting drive home but tcs kept it all straight.

i'll be running my s2k through the winter, and that has no TCS did fine in the MR2 roadster in snow and that ws the same. alot is just technique and practice. any kind of revs and your not going any where. learn to rock the car with the clutch and clutch control. high gears no revs and gently gently gently is the key. use the gears to slow down and dont touch the brakes.

as for the comment about other drivers i cannot agree more.

when driving in terrible snow with low tread bridgestones my rear was all over the place, yet i still had idiots tail gateing me.if i stopped they weren't going to have enough space. i also watched people braking to get onto a round about and then just sliding onto it instead. :doh: so many people have no idea how to drive in the zed and end up polishing the road instead making everyone elses job a nightmare.

if push comes to shove, on work days if it is really bad, i'll get a lift with a colleague and dueing the weekend we do have my wifews beast of a car so its not the end of the world for me.

if you do get the chance to go out in the snow, go find a nice big empty carpark and go have some fun :teeth:

My secondary car is a Jeep Cherokee :-) Absolutely no problems on or off road in the 1 to 2 feet of snow that we had. The only problem I had was those inconsiderate 2WD people blocking the road! I mean really, don't you know that us 4WD people "do actually own the road"....

....when it's snowing ;-)

It's not often I get to overtake people in the Jeep. They appear just as annoyed as when I do it in the Z. A bit like today when I humiliated a Lancer Evo FQ-360 driver who thought he was the muts nuts.

But seriously folks. Be extra careful in the snow.

Jim

if you do get the chance to go out in the snow, go find a nice big empty carpark and go have some fun :teeth:

Yes sir! :#1:

Winter in a RWD car is going to be a first for me so it will be interesting... I drive RWD trucks/machines in the snow at work and have always got on okay, granted the ZED is a hell of allot more powerful... but hey! i'll learn :#3::p;)

I know loads of guys in France/Switzerland who swear by their winter tyres. They drive Zeds, Boxters etc and take them up into the mountains in deep snow without any problems (I guess they should also have chains). I'm definitely considering a set considering weighing the price up against even minor body work. A set of winter tyres might set you back £600, but will last for years (average 3-4 months a year say) and give you loads of piece of mind.

I've been in a Boxter in the Alps using winter tyres and it was like driving in the dry. I'd be interested to know who here's tried them on a Zed and any recommendations on make. I dropped into the usual suspects around town and none of them had a clue.

in the UK, apart from very far north i imagine, they are a ball ache. good for getting you out a tight spot, so worth while, but getting them on and then off again because our councils selectively clear roads is frustrating.

i wouldnt put them on the zed though for fear of damaging it if you can even get them wide enough. better off getting something like a snow sock tbh.