Radiator Fan problem / heating?

B18NJY

Hi there people, i have just bought a 54 plate z and i have noticed a couple of problems which am looking to sort. One being the drivers side window not sealing so am going to have a go at the window reset procedure. Another being the clicky drive shafts at a guess so like you say its down to re-greasing the cv joints?

But my main problem which i see as a major is my radiator fans!

Basically if i start the car up from cold and let it warm up to temperature its ok...but then if i leave it i can literally watch the temperature gauge rise all the way up into the red. Also whilst the car is idle there is no heat what so ever coming through the vents in the cabin, even if set at 32 degrees. The radiator fans dont ever kick in. Now if i drive off the temperature gauge will then drop to normal and wierdly enough the heat will then come out of the cabin vents, but as soon as i stopped it just blows cold again and the car starts to overheat after a short period.

Can anyone reflect any suggestions to fixing this.

Thanks Guys

Ben

There could be numerous issues casing you this problem. The fans should kick in when you are sitting stationery once it gets up to temperature. The fans will not kick when you are on the move as you are collecting sufficient cold air to keep the temperatures down.

There is a process and procedure for checking out the fan motors, connectors and fuses etc to get an accurate diagnoses.

Worst case scenario will be that both fan motors are faulty which is not unusual.

Regarding your heater issues, this could well be associated with the above, however you may also have an air lock, which means bleeding the system.

I have all the parts in stock that you may require to fix the above. :thumbs:

You have pm.

Alex. :)

Thanks guys! Yes there is water in the radiator, the overflow tank is more a less empty bellow the min line but that shouldnt matter should itbeing an overflow. If it was an air-lock then in theory would it not be struggling to stay cool on the move as well as when stationary...? I guess a talk through guide for checking would help to check weather the fans are at fault. But if the fans are at fault how does this solve the problem off cold air coming through vents when stationary even if the water temp is up to temp?

Cheers Ben

my mates just had the fan motors replaced at westover nissan on his 05 imported zed.they told him the fans were running to slow ie over heating when stood in traffic.had a total bill of £800 :scare:

hope its not the same for yourself.

But if the fans are at fault how does this solve the problem off cold air coming through vents when stationary even if the water temp is up to temp?

Cheers Ben

Like I said previously Ben, may be an air lock, the 350Z is notorious for this.

Also the coolant bottle must be up to the mark when cold.

• 2 months later...

While sat in traffic yesterday my temp went into the red so I pulled off and used a different road and the temp dropped, so today I pulled the fuses which are ok, I then got the car up to temp and the fans started but were a bit lazy so I turned the engine off for ten minutes and then took the temp back up this time the fans did not start, Alex you say there is a process for working out the fault with the fans is this I could do or do I need to book in with my mechanic.

Cheers Max.

Thanks guys! Yes there is water in the radiator, the overflow tank is more a less empty bellow the min line but that shouldnt matter should itbeing an overflow. If it was an air-lock then in theory would it not be struggling to stay cool on the move as well as when stationary...? I guess a talk through guide for checking would help to check weather the fans are at fault. But if the fans are at fault how does this solve the problem off cold air coming through vents when stationary even if the water temp is up to temp?

Cheers Ben

Having seen several similar threads in the past, as Alex says and who probably knows more about ZEDS than the rest of us put together on here (not including other spealist traders on here), the air lock suggestion does sound a strong possibility. Another possibility is the thermostat is stuck as your symptons sound very similar to an issue I had in another car many years ago.

But should you need parts ZMANALEX normally has everyting in stock (new and secondhand) and I'm sure he would talk you through the checking process if you contacted him ;)

Cheers Ben

Having seen several similar threads in the past, as Alex says and who probably knows more about ZEDS than the rest of us put together on here (not including other spealist traders on here), the air lock suggestion does sound a strong possibility. Another possibility is the thermostat is stuck as your symptons sound very similar to an issue I had in another car many years ago.

But should you need parts ZMANALEX normally has everyting in stock (new and secondhand) and I'm sure he would talk you through the checking process if you contacted him ;)

used him loads and he is cheap!(not personally but he parts, well he could be but ive never met him :lol: )