How to get the absolute best fuel economy?

marzman

Abbey did my 54 GT last week and already I've noticed an increase in fuel economy, probably about 2-4 mpg overall, the throttle response and torque improvement goes with out saying!! Best money I've spent on the Zed so far without question :teeth:

:lol: Knew you wouldn't be able to hold off for long! I bet it made the trip to Wales more :drive1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I'm soooo predictable!! You probably remember I said I wasn't interested in lowering and skirting the Zed too B) Well after seeing Shire's and Lincolnbaggie's you can forget that as well :surrender::D Shame you couldn't be there mate, you would have loved it. Great bunch of people too :thumbs:

Abbey did my 54 GT last week and already I've noticed an increase in fuel economy, probably about 2-4 mpg overall, the throttle response and torque improvement goes with out saying!! Best money I've spent on the Zed so far without question :teeth:

:lol: Knew you wouldn't be able to hold off for long! I bet it made the trip to Wales more :drive1

Lots of different views, very interesting.

A Z is not just for weekends, if you can afford it then why not use it as a commuter, I do. Obviously you might as well get a high mileage one to start with, no point getting one that has 25k and then doubling it in a year :scare:

Just do all your sums and give it a go, you can always change your mind after 6 months.

You might want to get a frequent flyer card for the Spotted/Flyered Forum :lol:

It's not about affording to run the Zed as a commuter it's about the abuse it suffers. I am literally paranoid of dents to the point that I will avoid car parks at all costs, but that's just me :p If I didn't care about bodywork or keeping the car mint I would drive it all the time but it's safest during the day parked up in the garage :)

Lots of different views, very interesting.

A Z is not just for weekends, if you can afford it then why not use it as a commuter, I do. Obviously you might as well get a high mileage one to start with, no point getting one that has 25k and then doubling it in a year :scare:

Just do all your sums and give it a go, you can always change your mind after 6 months.

You might want to get a frequent flyer card for the Spotted/Flyered Forum :lol:

It's not about affording to run the Zed as a commuter it's about the abuse it suffers. I am literally paranoid of dents to the point that I will avoid car parks at all costs, but that's just me :p If I didn't care about bodywork or keeping the car mint I would drive it all the time but it's safest during the day parked up in the garage :)

Oh I hear you, especially with a brand new 370 :scare:

Each to their own though, I don't have a garage so I have to use mine as a commuter :p

I could have a company car but instead get work miles paid for and use the Z. I could make money and have a diesel - but life isn't worth living when you are driving something boring for all those hours!!! I feel great driving the Z all the time and I break even - it's money I never had so don't miss it and I get to drive what I want. :thumbs: It's not a hard choice mate.

I know alot of people say its bad but with a more expensive kit and a proper install of LPG and if you have multi maps get its tuned for the LPG on one map and petrol on the other?

Ah yes, LPG is a great way to drive high miles on the cheap. Just switch to petrol when you want the sportiness, although I do feel that you tend not to as it makes you a bit too mean to take it off LPG when you know the price difference. It does keep the engine in good condition though, the oil stays very clean.

I could have a company car but instead get work miles paid for and use the Z. I could make money and have a diesel - but life isn't worth living when you are driving something boring for all those hours!!! I feel great driving the Z all the time and I break even - it's money I never had so don't miss it and I get to drive what I want. :thumbs: It's not a hard choice mate.

Good point, well made.

Never had that money in the first place... so shouldnt really miss it.

... but on fuel alone im throwing away £208 a month... :doh:

Good point, well made.

Never had that money in the first place... so shouldnt really miss it.

... but on fuel alone im throwing away £208 a month... :doh:

Why not get a Zed AND a shed then you have the choice, if you want to save some pennies to spend on the Zed you drive the shed, that way it won't feel so bad either :thumbs:

I was going to say! I think government standard is 40p a mile for first 10,000 miles and 25p thereafter?

I've had two Zs now, both of them when I was working in London getting the train to work, only driving the car in my free time. Sold my last one as I too took a new job with lots of driving and thought I needed better mpg, bought myself an Audi A4 avant..............boring!!

I find myself on a great road with the sun out in a bloody estate. I think of it like this:

Driving a Z + Free petrol + getting paid for it = cool job

I'm currently looking for Z number 3. Going black this time B)

After my last trip to Abbey I got 35mpg on the motorway on the way home.

I have quite a short commute so I get 2 weeks out of 1 tank normally but I do struggle to get great mpg because of the shortish journey with no motorways. Too much stop start. With average driving but nothing really spirited I got 24.2mpg over the tank. Last tank was 22mpg but lots more fun. I am trying for an ultimate economy tank at the moment, very much struggling to keep it above 30mpg despite deploying every trick (including loads of coasting). The way I look at it, I could save about £80-100 a month and have a diesel but I would lose my mind and soul with boredom. I love my Zed and ill put up with the mediocre mpg as its such a great drivers car.

• 1 month later...

reading through this i spotted someone mentioning a 2.2l x-type jaguar......well im a jaguar tech of 9 years, you will only get 40mpg, so i wouldnt....i have now joined a ford dealership, and at the moment own a 2.0l mondeo TDCI, i have decated this, and got a tuning box on it, i was travelling form stoke to derby, and on a good day i got 70mpg, but on average i would get 62mpg, i have moved jobs closer to home so dont need the diesel, but in stop start traffic im gettin 48mpg. dont get a jag, get a ford, same engine, same gearbox.....also mine is for sale.

Mondeo instead of a Jag?!? How can you even suggest such a thing?? :ban:

haha, trust me, with 9 years expeience with jaguar and owning a ford, i would 100% say that the mondeo is a better car, the rear suspension on the xtype is useless, the mondeo is simple and ive had no faults with mine. the 2.0 diesel jag is a 5 speed gearbox, the mondeo is a 6 speed box, so better economy.

haha, trust me, with 9 years expeience with jaguar and owning a ford, i would 100% say that the mondeo is a better car, the rear suspension on the xtype is useless, the mondeo is simple and ive had no faults with mine. the 2.0 diesel jag is a 5 speed gearbox, the mondeo is a 6 speed box, so better economy.

Depends how you define better...

A Mondeo is a better car than a Zed in many many ways, but none of the most important ones...

A Mondeo is a better car than a Zed in many many ways, but none of the most important ones...

Yes but the 350 isnt based on the mondeo while the jag is.

delete this post if im not allowed to do it, but the mondeo is for sale now, 53 reg mondeo zetec-s, 101,000 miles, body work is average, no dents, alloys need a refurb, but mechanically is mint. and also it has decat and tuning box if sold for £1600.

if ive broke the rules here, let me know and ill delete this, and repost in for sale.

thanks

Yes but the 350 isnt based on the mondeo while the jag is.

Wasn't comparing them just saying the use of the word 'better' is very loose...