Brake pad installation Front and Rear

daveyboy10

All,

I have searched and searched for a step by step guide as to how to change the brake pads on my 350z, brembo brakes (front and rear)...Can somebody please point me to a step by step guide please...Im changing the pads on my car this afternoon and im guessing somebody has a very detailed method.

Thanks everyone

nope cant find one....its that simple no one has made up a guide :lol:

remove wheel

remove small clips that hold the pins in place (do not loose these, they are quite small)

remove pins

lift off metal cover ( there is a technical name but i cant remember)

push pads back toward the caliper to loosen off the pressure

the pads should be easy to remove now unless they are caked in brakes dust, in which case give them a shake

once out give caliper a clean up

copper grease your new pads ( back face only !!)

now put them back together

im no expert but pretty sure this is how i did it :teeth:

I changed my pads recently. Make sure you get plenty of copper grease applied to the rear of the pads. I placed a smithering of copper grease and I now have squeeling brakes once they get warm. Something I need to sort this weekend.

You don't really need any special tools, unless the pins are hard to remove from the calliper. Only one of my pins required some thin nosed pliers.

I also used the guide which has been posted by doogyrev and they were very clear and helpful.

I changed my pads recently. Make sure you get plenty of copper grease applied to the rear of the pads. I placed a smithering of copper grease and I now have squeeling brakes once they get warm. Something I need to sort this weekend.

You don't really need any special tools, unless the pins are hard to remove from the calliper. Only one of my pins required some thin nosed pliers.

I also used the guide which has been posted by doogyrev and they were very clear and helpful.

+1 on the copper grease! I clearly did not use enough and they also screeeeech when warm :bang:

+1 on the copper grease! I clearly did not use enough and they also screeeeech when warm :bang:

The funny thing is, I purchased some copper grease from Halfrauds... this tube was say the size of a toothpaste tube and it cost me something like £6. I went to my local auto parts shop, very small shop, friendly stock all that you need and by chance noticed the copper grease. In his shop this tube was twice the size of the Halfrauds version and a quarter of the price!! I know where I will be shopping in future.

I will apply a wealth of copper grease on Sat or Sun - I will let you know how it goes.

Was thinking of doing it for my new PF pads that will arrive soon but still not feeling 100% confident

I installed PF pads - these are the buggers that are currently squeeling!! (I am sure it's my fault more than the pads)

Got to say they work very well!!

They managed to hold the road very well whilst at the Nurburgring, just a shame I never got round to fitting my HEL lines and higher performance fluid. The result of using stock fluid and lines resulted in getting a very squishy brake pedal half way round the track :scare:

I also recently did this on my zed...the only thing to be careful of is taking out the pins...when I did this the spring undernearth alomost took my eye out!

I managed to manuever the spring clip thing out before taking the pins out. Just make sure to have one hand on the clip as you retract the pin.

Was thinking of doing it for my new PF pads that will arrive soon but still not feeling 100% confident

I installed PF pads - these are the buggers that are currently squeeling!! (I am sure it's my fault more than the pads)

They managed to hold the road very well whilst at the Nurburgring, just a shame I never got round to fitting my HEL lines and higher performance fluid. The result of using stock fluid and lines resulted in getting a very squishy brake pedal half way round the track :scare:

hmm, as anders would say... get braided lines :lol: I think i want some braided lines thinking about it

:thumbs: He was my source of information regarding my upgrad (sorry partial upgrade).

I might create a separate thread to see who wants to come and fit my braided lines and flush out my old fluid and replace with my new Motul. :thumbs:

Refreshments will be provided :teeth:

I also recently did this on my zed...the only thing to be careful of is taking out the pins...when I did this the spring undernearth alomost took my eye out!

I managed to manuever the spring clip thing out before taking the pins out. Just make sure to have one hand on the clip as you retract the pin.

what compound did you go for in the end? did you measure the brembo discs and bed in the pads properly?

Yup, followed the procedures, 5 runs at around 70mph down to 10mph with firm but not agressive braking.

The bedding in seemed to go well, it's just the squeeling when the brakes warm up. I went for the Z compound.

I will take them off at the weekend, give everything a cleanup and replace with ooober amounts of copper grease. The thing is, I was using the grease sparingly due to the fact of the cost from Halfrauds, and thought best keep some for my next application. The tube to be fair should have been used on all 4 sets of pads. I now have a larger supply and will now give the pads some extra juice.

If this doesn't work then there is something else causing the issue. I am just wondering if the discs aren't happy with the pads and as such need new discs, maybe PF? Only problem is they are £500 for the front pair!! :scare:

:lol: once you start you can't stop... measure the discs and see, dont see how they cause squeel though might be the pads are squeely? (I dont know, heard of Steady Z's squeeling too with PF discs)

LOADS of copper-grease?

maybe just enough will do :D (and not spraying water on it every day)

Id just like to say a massive thanks for all the help...I changed the pads on my z Saturday and now the brakes feel so much better, over the moon tbh.....

Must say though, they have designed the brakes (brembos) to be maintenance friendly, I mean it took 8 minutes per corner to complete!!

Although my set up is just the standard brembo discs with yellowstuff pads, my braking has very much improved, the icing on the cake was all round yellowstuff pads for 90 quid, brand new !

Cheers once again everyone for the help.

what compound did you go for in the end? did you measure the brembo discs and bed in the pads properly?

Haven't got my pads yet mate, due to arrive this week i think but when they do will let you know, and as for the compounds... it was 01 up front and Z on the rear (Performance Friction), apparently thats a good setup for brake bias :D Stock Brembos mate :thumbs:

Well I took my first journey to work after the RE-GREASE and there is a massive improvement. The brakes no longer squeal, instead they just squeek!! :scare:

No honestly, they are massively better. I did notice though at the end of the journey they began to squeek, rather than squeal. I'm not too fussed as it's only minimal and I can live with it, so 95% of my journey is now 1000 times better!

We shall see what happens after Wales when I give them a fair beating!!