Project 'ZAC' - CarPC Build

SunGodRA

I have being meaning to build a CarPC for nearly three years now, and have finally decided to do it! Thanks to Hynder (Alan), nrez123 (Nathan) and Tricky-Ricky who have given me inspiration in their posts.

Ordered some bits, and they arrived yesterday...

carpc1.jpg

carpc2.jpg

Kit list to date (I will update this as I go):

Zotac ION N330 IONITX F-E Motherboard http://www.wstore.co.uk/index.asp?pg=pr ... rod=686875

Akasa Mini_ITX Case http://www.wstore.co.uk/index.asp?pg=pr ... rod=727542

WD Scorpio (Black) - 320GB Internal Hard Drive - 2.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - Buffer: 16MB

Kingston 2GB DIMM 240-pin - DDR II - 800MHz - CL6 - 1.8 V - Unbuffered - Non-ECC Memory

Belkin Mini USB Bluetooth Adapter - Bluetooth 2.0 EDR - Class 2

Windows 7 Pro 32 bit

Centrafuse 3 Auto

It only took 10 mins to assemble all the bits. I then installed Windows 7 Pro - boot time is about 30 seconds but that's not an issue as the PC will be in 'sleep mode' when not in use (sleep boot less than 5 seconds)

The case I bought has DC input (12v) but I am not sure how this will cope in the car so I might need to get a Carnetix one which can handle cranking voltage and has intelligent shutdown if battery drain is too much etc. I will spend the next couple of weeks 'bench testing' before I install in the car.

I tried to pair my iphone with the PC, but it was a complete pain in the a$$ and I gave up after an hour - then I found a piece of software called 'Bluetooth Soleil' and it work a treat! (I later found out that this was included with Centrafuse 3 :doh: )

Installed Centrafuse 3 and this is a great front end (but I will try others like Roadrunner etc.). Iphone pairing now works a treat - but I still havent worked out how to download contact list to CF yet.

I am still undecided on what touchscreen monitor to use, so at the moment I am using VNC to connect to the box...

zac1.jpg

zac3.jpg

Next on 'To Do' List:

Find suitable SatNav software (USB GPS)

Find decent front and rear cams (stealthed)

Purchase Blatz cable and software

Purchase USB I/O board to control various things in the car (inc finger print start) http://www.fusioncontrolcentre.com/Fusi ... /index.php

Investigate voice commands (I have Dragon Speak 10)

Skin CF3

That's all for now - but I will update as I go...

Looks like you need that bottle of vino

Nice work bud :thumbs:

Not sure about the website on the computer though :lol:

The website wasn't posted purposely, I just happened to be posting something when photo was taken. At the end of the day all the forum politics is bollox anyway - this is a great forum, and so is the other one (still unsure if I can mention the name!, pathetic really!)

nice, i'll be interested to follow :)

did you look at anything that was purposefully car orientated? (eg shock proof)

Yep - the hard disk has shock proof protection apparently - however I will be looking to replace it once installed with a Solid State Disk - price an issue at the moment £££

:band:

Woho cool geek stuff... solid state I'm not sure its worth it. Have a 64gb on my eee and it cost more then the pc itself! Also some guys talk about life will be hit by lots of read writes for swap and cache. Get two drives instead and image copy once your happy with it.

i know it's not a large SSD but might be useful ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/233258 seems pretty quick too :thumbs:

half price what I paid for my 64Gb one :lol::blush: typicall.

yeah but it wont be hammering the HD that badly surely?

Well on found on some ubuntu place that they recommended to turn off the swap drive to slow down writes to the SSD drive. Im not sure since its not been around for too long to know whats what really. My plan on mini pc would be to have a 2.5 inch drive with 160 odd Gb on it and sync with my server once I come into the drive if Ive changed stuff on it. In my mind a minipc drive in a car wouldnt have much new information written to it most of the time so it should be sufficient to set it all up take an image of the drive and store outside the car and use a SD card type media to move use files on the computer, or Wifi / Bluetooth via home while on the drive.. or via 3G with the HTC phone used as a internet router (Android 2.2) :evil::lol:

B)

dammit man that is cool! how much has all this set you back out of interest?

I have had a couple of pm's about costs, so here you go! (I am fortunate that I work in IT so I get things at cost price ;) )

To date I have spent:

Motherboard and processor £104.00

Case £41.19

Hard disk £43.05

RAM £24.98

Bluetooth adapter £5.26

Windows 7 Pro FREE (Microsoft Gold Partner status)

Dragon Speak 10 (PC can accept voice commands) FREE

Centrafuse front end software (using trial atm - but it cost $79, available on torrents also)

to buy:

Touch screen - not sure which one yet - budgeted approx £200

Front and rear cams - estimate £15 each

Nissan CAN BUS lead and Blatz software (engine management and diagnostics) approx £100

Fusion Brain Version 4.0 (I/O board to control various aspects of the car) $59.99

Finger print scanner for engine start - approx £35

I budgeted £500 for the project, but I am sure it will cost more as I will want it to do more things

David

PS I would be happy to build this for anyone else that was interested, at cost price of course ;)

Edit: I forgot Satnav - not sure what to use yet, but USB GPS receiver approx £25 - software extra

PS I would be happy to build this for anyone else that was interested, at cost price of course ;)

:lol: on the first one, you'll see that it's not covered to install it on a PC for home use in a car B) on the second one I'll hold you to that! :teeth:

:lol: on the first one, you'll see that it's not covered to install it on a PC for home use in a car B) on the second one I'll hold you to that! :teeth:

My operating system is legit! but there are many ways of not paying for this!

Anders, if you can tare yourself away from your potato farm and come down south I will gladly make one for you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like you need that bottle of vino

Nice work bud :thumbs:

Not sure about the website on the computer though :lol:

The website wasn't posted purposely, I just happened to be posting something when photo was taken. At the end of the day all the forum politics is bollox anyway - this is a great forum, and so is the other one (still unsure if I can mention the name!, pathetic really!)

**REMOVED**, **REMOVED**, **REMOVED**. No problems or 'pathetic' politics here dude. :thumbs:

I'm sure you missed the :lol: that Tarmac posted afterwards. Generally that means it's a joke.....

Nice PC build, will watch to see how this turns out, I like these geeky builds! :lol::thumbs:

I'm still waiting for for bits to arrive, so in the meantime I thought I would have a play with Centrafuse. Had a play with skins - its actually a lot easier than I thought...

Here is CF3 normal skin

cfnorm.jpg

Here is a skin called Aqua which I modified with the Zed logo:

(the green circle around the logo indicated I have internet access :teeth: )

cfskin1.jpg

cfskin2.jpg

I have also download some open source Front End software called 'Ride Runner' (formally known as Road Runner) - it is very configurable, and being open source its free! I will post pics of it when I have had a proper play.

I cant wait to get all this installed in the car now :D

• 3 months later...

Good work bud. I have a Carnetix CNX-P2140 sat at home doing nothing if you are interested? One of, if not the best Car PSU's available. Yours for the postage and a donation to the forum :thumbs:

/runs to check he hasnt thrown it away :blush: