Are they trying to screw my girlfriend?

James B

Not as ominous as it may sound :scare::headhurt:

My missus drives a Clio 182 and after hearing a rattling sound took it to the local Renault garage. All sounds bit wishy washy to me about the reasons for the work but they have quoted for a few exhaust bits.

Estimates including fitting:

Catalytic converter: £1,407.77

Centre section £639.44

Rear section £336.55

This money seems freekin crazy to me. It's not an F1 car so I could take it to a local mechanic for the work but any suggestions on what the cost of the OEM parts should be? Is it worth looking at this an an opportunity to get some aftermark bits on it? If so, where a good place to get parts for a Clio?

All thoughts welcome boys and girls! :)

You could get a Milltek cat back system (centre and backbox) for £430. CATS wouldn't be more than that so you could probably have the lot put on the car for £1,000.

However, there's probably very little wrong with the exhaust... Has she checked the cabin for loose change?!

I've still got a 182 centre section in my garage surplus to requirements!

Renault are renowned for their rediculous prices for 182 exhausts. I sold my 182 a couple of years ago, but the last I knew was that Quickfit of all places were offering Janspeed stainless replacement exhausts for circa £350 thats cat back. quite a subtle sound, so I'm led to belive. I had a scorpion on mine, which i think was about £380, again, quite subtle, but nice.

I wouldn't change the cat until you've replaced the other exhaust components as its the least likely part to be rattling and the most expensive to change, as i recall, a race cat will only set you back £350 so that Renault price is pisch.

I seem to recall they had alot of trouble with the cetre sections, the exhaust is meant to be one piece, back from the cat, but alot have had replacement centre sections so have a join 'cut in' just before the backbox.

If you want another centre section, let me know. A good alternative would be to register as a member on cliosport.net and buy a complete standard system from one of the members on there. I reckon you should pay no more than £100 for a second hand, good condition cat back standard renault exhaust. The cats are a little harder to come by, but ask the same questions on Cliosport and they will help you out.

Tom

years ago i had one of the first R19 16v in the UK as a company car. The exhaust started to rattle after a couple fo months and it was the heat shield on the CAT, result was brand new cat courtesy of Renault warranty department.

So a tinny rattle might not be just loose change, but could be the heat shield which damages the cat and so it all needs to be replaced :thumbs:

Not as ominous as it may sound :scare::headhurt:

My missus drives a Clio 182 and after hearing a rattling sound took it to the local Renault garage. All sounds bit wishy washy to me about the reasons for the work but they have quoted for a few exhaust bits.

Estimates including fitting:

Catalytic converter: £1,407.77

Centre section £639.44

Rear section £336.55

This money seems freekin crazy to me. It's not an F1 car so I could take it to a local mechanic for the work but any suggestions on what the cost of the OEM parts should be? Is it worth looking at this an an opportunity to get some aftermark bits on it? If so, where a good place to get parts for a Clio?

All thoughts welcome boys and girls! :)

K-tec Racing will be one of your best bets for aftermarket parts, i used to own a 172 and this company were always good at supplying parts to myself and a host of others on the club forums i used to use.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/search.asp?appid=2&catid=8

• 1 month later...

I've had a quote last week from nissan for catalytic converters as mine is inefficient. nissan want £724 + vat just for one side and not including fitting so a pair would be £1448 + vat + fitting

i've going to order berks high flow cats for £350 instead

My sister took her Twingo to the stealers for an MOT, they said she needed a new driver seat in her 4 year old car!

She took it to task... took the written report they did to her local VOSA center, they checked it and said there was NOTHING wrong with it!

VOSA are currently investigating :lol:

My sister LOOKS like a typical Dizzy Blonde, and they obviously thought they could screw her out of £500 odd quid.

Little did they know she used to work on the front desk at an AUDI Parts/Service section at her local dealers.

Glad your girlfriend if clever enough to raise it and not just pay. :)