Best time to buy the zed

sl114

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone who owns a Zed is driving an import, (they are all made in the same factory in Japan )...

The main distributors in the UK (Nissan G B ) have decided that the UK market can stand a price tag of £30K, elsewhere in the world ,America for example they wont pay anywhere near this sort of price, about half is what they will stump up...

The Uk distrutors hence have to look as though they are giving good value compared to the rest of the world market by only offering the Zed in the spec seen in the UK..

We are being well and truely ripped off!! as usual..

I for one would sooner buy a cheaper used vehicle that has been run about gently in Japan ,than pay an over inflated price just because Nissan GB choose to say the UK market will stand it..

In fact if given a choice between a UK used car and a Jap import all things being equal (mileage / age / price ) I would always plump for the Jap car as invariably it would be in better condition than the British one.. Cosmetically as well as mechanically... to say that owners of import cars have been "ripped off" is absolute rubbish, I feel the opposite applies :blush:

everyone who owns a Zed is driving an import, (they are all made in the same factory in Japan )...

The main distributors in the UK (Nissan G B ) have decided that the UK market can stand a price tag of £30K, elsewhere in the world ,America for example they wont pay anywhere near this sort of price, about half is what they will stump up...

The Uk distrutors hence have to look as though they are giving good value compared to the rest of the world market by only offering the Zed in the spec seen in the UK..

We are being well and truely ripped off!! as usual..

I for one would sooner buy a cheaper used vehicle that has been run about gently in Japan ,than pay an over inflated price just because Nissan GB choose to say the UK market will stand it..

In fact if given a choice between a UK used car and a Jap import all things being equal (mileage / age / price ) I would always plump for the Jap car as invariably it would be in better condition than the British one.. Cosmetically as well as mechanically... to say that owners of import cars have been "ripped off" is absolute rubbish, I feel the opposite applies :blush:

I agree with most of what your saying

I didnt say that owners of import cars have been ripped off.

I said if you had bought a base or T model you had been ripped off because they dont come with brembo's or stability control and have an inferior LSD when compared to the jdm:S and:st and uk:base and:gt

Alot of the time people end up paying the same money or more for their inferior base and t models because they dont want to wait for a uk one.

I would have bought a jdm s or st if mine had nt come up but as I said above I would nt have paid as much for it.

base model was fine for me , as I knew I would be junking most of the stuff anyway.. even the brakes on the Uk cars are deemed not good enough by some (not me by the way) and are replaced, the standard brakes on my base are just fine and I cant fault them, (not been near a track day yet though) The traction control is switched off the majority of the time as would the Uk equivilant if fitted... the LSD thing I have never heard mentioned before though, new one on me?

I think most people go for a used Jap import because they offer stunning value compared to the Equivilant UK model., and as I mentioned before a 3 year old import is generally speaking in better nick than the UK car..

Import or UK. 10k on the clock or 20k on the clock. Brembos or not. Who cares, we all paid our money at the time because we thought what we were getting was reasonable for it. I guess if we were worried about depreciation etc we would have all bought 10yr old Golfs! :)

Import or UK. 10k on the clock or 20k on the clock. Brembos or not. Who cares, we all paid our money at the time because we thought what we were getting was reasonable for it. I guess if we were worried about depreciation etc we would have all bought 10yr old Golfs! :)

exactly,.......... no one forced us to buy, we bought what we wanted...

I just dont want someone telling me I got ripped off by buying an import , because it's not a "real Z " WHICH I WASNT GOING TO REPLY TO :headhurt:

I just dont want someone telling me I got ripped off by buying an import , because it's not a "real Z " WHICH I WASNT GOING TO REPLY TO :headhurt:

It doesn't matter though. Otherwise why would people buy a Boxster S at the price premium?? All dowwn to a perceived value, and that's all this is. One person would pay £15k, another would pay £17k.

You got the colour / spec / condition you wanted, so did I mate.

And best of all, we all got Zeds!! :yahoo:

It doesn't matter though. Otherwise why would people buy a Boxster S at the price premium?? All dowwn to a perceived value, and that's all this is. One person would pay £15k, another would pay £17k.

You got the colour / spec / condition you wanted, so did I mate.

And best of all, we all got Zeds!! :yahoo:

OK, just got on my soap box there :thumbs::teeth:

I think the concerning thing is yes we all bought Zeds but there are certain people who feel that because we went the import route the car doesn't stack up as well as the UK which is b**** !

I have the T version and so what it doesn't come with Brembos, stability (thought it did??), and a few other bits and pieces. This certainly doesn't warrant the steep price difference from UK to JDM assuming same year, same condition and same mileage as Lomoto says. The Zed originated from Japan I think!! so how can buying an import Zed not be the real deal?

End of the day people whether it be UK or Jap I'd rather drive one of these than one of your run of the mill cars which seem to dominate the landscape! :thumbs:

I think the concerning thing is yes we all bought Zeds but there are certain people who feel that because we went the import route the car doesn't stack up as well as the UK which is b**** !

I have the T version and so what it doesn't come with Brembos, stability (thought it did??), and a few other bits and pieces. This certainly doesn't warrant the steep price difference from UK to JDM assuming same year, same condition and same mileage as Lomoto says. The Zed originated from Japan I think!! so how can buying an import Zed not be the real deal?

End of the day people whether it be UK or Jap I'd rather drive one of these than one of your run of the mill cars which seem to dominate the landscape! :thumbs:

Does it matter though??? No! You saw the car (so did I), maybe drove the car (I did), liked the spec and the price so handed over the price I thought reasonable, just the same way you did. :thumbs::)

Doesn't matter where it's made or anything, it's a car, it's on our drive ways and we're happy. :yahoo:

Hi folks, I just felt like I had to jump in on this one. Be very careful when looking at Imports, not just 350Z. Many of the importers are buying low grade and often damaged cars in Japan and tarting them up on the cheap for resale in the Uk at enormous profit margins. I have spent over 20 years in the Motor Trade and never fail to be amazed at the shoddy repairs and low standard paint work on imported cars. Most of the imports I have seen look like they were painted by Stevie Wonder. All of this reconditioning work is done at the lowest possible cost to maximise margins. What amazes me even more is that the general public still buy them in this state, presumably because they appear cheap or possibly because they simply do not spot the repairs.

If you must buy an import due to budget constraints or any other reason, at the very least take someone with you how knows how to spot accident damage and poor paintwork so you don't get stuck with a lemon.

Hi folks, I just felt like I had to jump in on this one. Be very careful when looking at Imports, not just 350Z. Many of the importers are buying low grade and often damaged cars in Japan and tarting them up on the cheap for resale in the Uk at enormous profit margins. I have spent over 20 years in the Motor Trade and never fail to be amazed at the shoddy repairs and low standard paint work on imported cars. Most of the imports I have seen look like they were painted by Stevie Wonder. All of this reconditioning work is done at the lowest possible cost to maximise margins. What amazes me even more is that the general public still buy them in this state, presumably because they appear cheap or possibly because they simply do not spot the repairs.

If you must buy an import due to budget constraints or any other reason, at the very least take someone with you how knows how to spot accident damage and poor paintwork so you don't get stuck with a lemon.

Good advice! :thumbs:

great advice .. :thumbs: applies to any car not just imported, from wherever there sourced ;)

Does it matter though??? No! You saw the car (so did I), maybe drove the car (I did), liked the spec and the price so handed over the price I thought reasonable, just the same way you did. :thumbs::)

Doesn't matter where it's made or anything, it's a car, it's on our drive ways and we're happy. :yahoo:

I think it is worth paying the extra for a uk model or jdm s/st

I put a deposit on a jap t myself I then did some research to find out how much it would cost for the rays,brembo's and viscous[spelling] lsd and electronic brake distrubution ect. I can assure you that it was well over 3k and that was with out all the electronic stuff ebd,esp ect.

A few people above have these cars and are nt sure of the spec this is exactly the point Iam making if these jdm importers where honest they would post up the full specs of each model like bonsai cars do or used to and Iam sure a few of you would have made different choices if all the information was available when you where buying

Yes very true. I would say if you have the budget for a UK car don't even consider an import. On top of the spec differences you have difficulty of resale and poor residuals, as well as the fact that many Insurance companies won't touch them.

I've nothing againt imports per se, in fact I have owned literally hundreds of them, Skylines, Supras, 3000GT etc but an import Skyline for 3 or 4 grand is a totally different kettle of fish. When you are talking the thick end of 20 grand for a 350Z the vast majority of the buying public would not even consider buying an imported car, which makes them much more difficult to sell on.

I'm not having a go at anyone who did buy an import, I hope it doesn't come across that way. I'm just passing on my opinion as a car dealer of 20 years plus experience.

I think it's horses for courses. I understand what you're saying re imported cars and now as UK spec Zeds are also coming down in price it's probably fair to say that spending that little bit more for a UK version makes sense, but when you are talking resale values etc - because you paid cheap in the first place I don't think this factor is that relevant?

Do you think I will have a big problem then in a couple of years or less when I come to sell mine? If I were to PX for another Nissan at a Nissan dealer think they will give me a better price for say one of their second hand UK Zeds as opposed to going to another non Nissan dealer?

I just can't understand why people won't touch an import especially as it comes from Japan as the general consensus is they look after their vehicles better? Anyone agree?

I think it's horses for courses. I understand what you're saying re imported cars and now as UK spec Zeds are also coming down in price it's probably fair to say that spending that little bit more for a UK version makes sense, but when you are talking resale values etc - because you paid cheap in the first place I don't think this factor is that relevant?

Do you think I will have a big problem then in a couple of years or less when I come to sell mine? If I were to PX for another Nissan at a Nissan dealer think they will give me a better price for say one of their second hand UK Zeds as opposed to going to another non Nissan dealer?

I just can't understand why people won't touch an import especially as it comes from Japan as the general consensus is they look after their vehicles better? Anyone agree?

As I said above the point I've been trying to make is that in my opinion the imports are just too much at the moment.

If I was after a cheap Z I would wait till after xmas and pick a low mileage jdm s/st up in january for between 13-14k

I think the Z market is saturated with imports so there will be some pretty deseperate dealers in the new year.

Which will mean some real bargains for you buyers.

Leenx - you have to be careful as a Nissan Franchised Dealer will not touch an import at all. They are not allowed to - their deal with Nissan GB prevents them from doing so. The only people who will touch them are the import dealers. I can pick up an import Z for well under £12,000 today, in 2 years time it will be worth half that, as a guess.

As mighty Z states, the marked it saturated with imports. You can go buy one off Auto Trader privately for £14k or less. It's simple supply and demand, there are too many for sale so the prices take a dive. On the plus side it is dragging down the values of UK cars which is a benefit for us all...but the uk cars only dropped £175 in Glass's this month.

The story about Japs looking after their cars better is marketing hype pushed around by the import trade to help them peddle their wares. The Japs are notorious for street racing, hard driving, traffic light GP and treating their cars as machines - they only spend money on them when something breaks. Jap cars are not even undersealed, so they won't take kindly to the British Winter.

The biggest issue with imports is that there is no watertight way to check the history and mileage of the cars. Don't you think it's strange how every imported Skyline and Supra has done 60,000 miles, regardless of age !!!

Once again, I'm not saying don't buy an import, just be careful what you buy and be prepared to take a big hit on the resale value.

Leenx - you have to be careful as a Nissan Franchised Dealer will not touch an import at all. They are not allowed to - their deal with Nissan GB prevents them from doing so. The only people who will touch them are the import dealers. .

Rubbish , the previous owner to my import had a P2 service done at the main dealer... got the invoivce to prove...not a one of either, most dealers will bend over backwards to take your money off you.. (not me though ;) I steer well away from those clowns )

The story about Japs looking after their cars better is marketing hype pushed around by the import trade to help them peddle their wares. The Japs are notorious for street racing, hard driving, traffic light GP and treating their cars as machines - they only spend money on them when something breaks. Jap cars are not even undersealed, so they won't take kindly to the British Winter.

On any used car condition is paramount, in general when I was looking for a used car the imports were in far far better condition than their UK equivilants..

Obviously there is no hard and fast rule, but after owning several Jap imports I wouldnt hesitate to get another...

if you look at the Pajero ? Shogun martket the imports are now commanding a better price than their UK counterparts as generally speaking the Jap cars have not been abused off road ;)

Leenx - you have to be careful as a Nissan Franchised Dealer will not touch an import at all. They are not allowed to - their deal with Nissan GB prevents them from doing so. The only people who will touch them are the import dealers. .

Rubbish , the previous owner to my import had a P2 service done at the main dealer... got the invoivce to prove...not a one of either, most dealers will bend over backwards to take your money off you.. (not me though ;) I steer well away from those clowns )

You misunderstood my post which was not rubbish I can assure you. Leenx was talking about trading his car in at a Nissan franchised dealer, not getting it serviced there. A Nissan franchised dealer cannot sell an imported Nissan or he would be in direct contravention of his franchise agreement with Nissan GB. IF he does take an import in part exchange then it will be on the basis of an underwrite from another dealer, he cannot retail that vehicle himself. You will never see an imported car for sale on a franchised main dealer forecourt. This is fact, not rubbish.