Gearbox chatter - best next steps?

Toon Chris

Very recently my gearbox has started to make a chattering sound which appears to come from the gear change lever itself. The noise happens under full load at lower revs (2-3k) so I guess it is a torque-related issue. Its an 04 GT with 91K miles.

It is a noise that I previously got when at very high revs in 4th and 5th (6K+) so not something that worried me a lot as I don't do that very often, but the other day it started to do it in 3rd at the lower revs, then after only a few hundred miles it has moved to include 1st and 2nd.

It is hard to describe a noise but it is like a metallic hammer drill noise in frequency and is accompanied by a little gear lever vibration. When 'chattering' it isn't easy to change gear, it seems to stick in place a little and have trouble finding the next gear (esp. 5th to 6th at the higher revs) - backlash possibly?

Noise is noise and not really an issue, and providing I don't floor the pedal in the rev ranges it is no more than a distraction, but I am concerned that the gearbox may be falling apart rapidly and it will go pop and leave me with a car I can't drive to a garage.

Can anybody diagnose this at all, or offer any words of wisdom? The next question is does anyone have experience of the price of a fully recon gearbox (and NOT via Nissan), just in case? I have been considering a Urethane Transmission Mount as maybe the transmission is just rolling about a bit, but then again maybe just a replacement standard one would be enough?

DM fly knackered?

but im guessing

EDIT: and ask lee about the gearbox he has a route to recon them for you :)

Thanks matey, although I did call them a few months ago with a big shopping list of repairs and servicing inc new tyres and they never called back. That put me off.

I have the firdenza solid fly from Alex (which is excellent) so it isn't the Dual Mass whotsit breaking up.

Alex, have PM'd back. Let's see what the wallet damage is.

DM fly knackered?

but im guessing

EDIT: and ask lee about the gearbox he has a route to recon them for you :)

Thanks matey, although I did call them a few months ago with a big shopping list of repairs and servicing inc new tyres and they never called back. That put me off.

I have the firdenza solid fly from Alex (which is excellent) so it isn't the Dual Mass whotsit breaking up.

Alex, have PM'd back. Let's see what the wallet damage is.

Thats a shame :(

One on ebay,he wants £450 but the bits i got from him i bid him down,its out of 2 2007 moter with 18,000 miles.

Cheers although I'm not sure if that will fit my 04 plate or not.

My original reason for this thread was to see if anyone recognised the problem and more importantly from my perspective, was it just noise that could be ignored for a while or would the gearbox die and leave me stranded. These gearboxes make all sorts of whines and rattles from new so what is one more noise :lol: ?

After a flurry of PMs etc I'm of the opinion that I should just take it steady for now but will have to replace it. It occurred to me that the cold-start whine has stopped now and been replaced by this chatter, so maybe a bearing has finally started to go. I'm going to get it changed in September (hope it lasts!) and hopefully get a proper diagnosis as the same time, that way I can update the thread for future worry-warts like me.

If I get a chance I will make a small vid and see if the noise is discernible.

Cheers for you help chaps :):thumbs: