Putting things into perspective

Emperor Ming

I was working a football match today, you can imagine the scene. Watching the great unwashed in their lemming like droves moving too and fro like the tide of humanity they are.

My gaffer asks me to take my band of happy troopers up to a local car park where the away fans park their cars to prevent the locals causing any grief.

We wander up and make happy conversation with the wolves fans as Barnsley have just beaten them one nil and one guy in a nice 2.5 AWD Jag X series asks my mate for directions to the M1.

All is fine in the world, directions are given and he pulls out into the traffic. He travels about twenty yards and is parked in front of me waiting to follow the other cars out of the junction when suddenly his car lurches violently forward and smashes into the back of the Audi estate in front. The engine is reving its nuts off and the clutch is stinking as it slips like mad.

I am all for giving him a right royal bollocking for driving like a pillock when the passenger, his son as it turns out, shouts "My Dad is having a heart attack!!"

Within a minute he has stopped breathing and we have him on the floor in the middle of the road and I am doing mouth to mouth whilst an off duty nurse is doing chest compressions. A Dr stops by and helps me with this guys head and for what feels like a ife time we try, and try we did.

The ambulance turns up and they go at him with a passion. I am now doing chest massage in amongst the wires and paddles and all sorts of medical stuff whilst they pipe him, tube him and generally do what ambulance staff do!

3 0r 4 minutes later and he is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, they kept trying all the way to the hospital but he died on the pavement in front of me whilst I had my hands on his chest.

Now I don't know this guy but he put things into perspective today.

LIVE EVERY MINUTE AS IF IT WAS YOU LAST. THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHERSAL AND YOU ONLY COME THIS WAY ONCE!!

As a little aside.

Just after the ambulance arrived a little pice of SH*TE came passed and started laughing. I was at this stage stood up as the paramedics were using the elctric paddles on his chest and I both heard and saw him.

We had a nose to nose whilst I told him what I had just been doing and EXACTLY what I thought of him to which he laughed again and told me to "F**K OFF".

A split second later and he was flat on his back 8 feet away wondering who had just slammed him in the chest with a sledge hammer. :angry::angry:

Some of the other bobbies nearby then walked him down the road and gave out a little more friendly advice, which to his credit he took, apologised and left!!

There are times when life aint fair and I really really hate people!!!!!!!

Ming the Stressed

Mate - i don't know how to comment on you rexperience today - apart from the tw@t who was laughing at the situation - when i read that bit i was REALLY hoping you were about to tell us you ended up putting HIM in hospital - i know i would have done exactly the same. :rant::boxing::rant:

i REALLY can't believe someone would have done that.

Anyway you are totally right - tomorrow any one of us could get knocked down by a bus (God i hope not - but you never ever know). So get out there and live life to the full. When my Dad died recently i know that in his eyes on his death bed he was thinking WOW i've got a great wife, son and daughter who love me SO much and i'm glad i loved them as much as i did and enjoyed every moment that i've had with them. He really really was not thinking 'WOW that deal i did back in '86 with that company which made my company some money was the most rewarding experience of my life' - and my Dad was a TOTAL business man who was really strict and never really showed much emotion apart form when it involved business. SO he could have easily have been that guy you were trying to save in the Jag. I can only hope that his family and he had as good a time together as we all should with everyone we know and love.

Now get out there everyone and enjoy life. If that involves us going for a blast in our Z's or just visiting our old Aunties in hospital then it will make us happier people when the grim reaper comes calling for us - AND HE WILL ONE DAY - NO MATTER WHAT.

(disclaimer - sorry i got a bit emotional there - something just got me about Ming's story)

Mate - i don't know how to comment on you rexperience today - apart from the tw@t who was laughing at the situation - when i read that bit i was REALLY hoping you were about to tell us you ended up putting HIM in hospital - i know i would have done exactly the same. :rant::boxing::rant:

i REALLY can't believe someone would have done that.

Anyway you are totally right - tomorrow any one of us could get knocked down by a bus (God i hope not - but you never ever know). So get out there and live life to the full. When my Dad died recently i know that in his eyes on his death bed he was thinking WOW i've got a great wife, son and daughter who love me SO much and i'm glad i loved them as much as i did and enjoyed every moment that i've had with them. He really really was not thinking 'WOW that deal i did back in '86 with that company which made my company some money was the most rewarding experience of my life' - and my Dad was a TOTAL business man who was really strict and never really showed much emotion apart form when it involved business. SO he could have easily have been that guy you were trying to save in the Jag. I can only hope that his family and he had as good a time together as we all should with everyone we know and love.

Now get out there everyone and enjoy life. If that involves us going for a blast in our Z's or just visiting our old Aunties in hospital then it will make us happier people when the grim reaper comes calling for us - AND HE WILL ONE DAY - NO MATTER WHAT.

(disclaimer - sorry i got a bit emotional there - something just got me about Ming's story)

:cry:

Hey Ming, that's really not a nice thing to have to go through. You're right it does put things into perspective, much more readily than us just reading about itl.

The job you guys do is desperately under rated, just keeping going with things like that happening each week. I have family in forces and know how it can impact them.

I hope you find some escape with your car and family! :thumbs::)

Ming, thanks for sharing that with us. I can't imagine what it's like to see someone die in front of you and I hope I never find out.

We had a friend die almost 2 years ago. He was climbing in the Alps, got caught in bad weather and froze to death, alone on a mountain side. He lived life 110% and, although some would say that was why his was cut short in his 40s, he lived more in that short time than most of us ever will.

It certainly put things in perspective for us and is actually how I ended up with the Zed. I had wanted one for ages but had been reluctant to part with the cash. I had the sudden realisation that I could be dead tomorrow and you can't take it with you.

Like Burgershot says, perhaps everyone reading this thread should give their partners an extra hug today, ring their folks just to say hi and just stop to appeciate everything we love about our lives.

:thumbs:

"LIVE EVERY MINUTE AS IF IT WAS YOU LAST. THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHERSAL AND YOU ONLY COME THIS WAY ONCE!!"

Possibly he best words people will ever read :thumbs:

Don't mean 2 gate crash Ming but this week I met a lad who married and buried his wife in the same week...

Life can be so cruel, enjoy it while it lasts...

Some things happen that put things in perspective. We have to learn from these experiences to make our lives and that of those around us better.

Ming - As Liam Z said, great words and you are doing exactly what i have just said and passing on the experience to us to draw from.

I know I have learned this year to appreciate things and I will.

Just a quick update guys.

We had a message from the ambulance staff to say that the machine they connected to his chest to show heart output etc showed that we managed to keep things going manually and properly until they arrived but he was already dead.

At least I don't feel like I either missed something or could have done something else to help.

H5

Hi mate

My Mrs is a diamond and I would not change her for ANYTHING. She is my rock when I need it and brought me back from a dark place and helped me to be me again.

Ming the lucky

Talking to a mate of mine the other day.

He went to a drugs overdose. One of our regular, long term, heroin abusers. Not a nice guy with a habit but a true 'Smack Rat'. Nothing but a full blooded drain on society!! :angry:

The report came in and it took several minutes for the bobby to get there. The guy is breathing, sort of, and the ambulance takes another five or so minutes to arrive. in this time the breathing has got lots worse but is still there - JUST.

Ambulance man gets out bleedin great needle and sticks a shot of adrenalin into said 'smack rat' who promptly sits bolt up right, swears at the ambulance man for 'wasting his gear' and gets up and wanders off after his next fix!!

Life aint fu**ing fair!!

Ming the Annoyed

To the first post Ming, i know exactly what you have gone through. I used to be a life guard and had to pull someone out of a pool who was having a heart attack and was pumping him for 15 minutes until the ambulance arrived. However I knew after 2 minutes he was pretty much dead as you know, you can tell. But i still went on as it is what i was trained to do. The worst part is that his family were all standing around and we couldnt get them to leave, i can still remember his daughter saying to me "please save my Daddy, i love him and i cant lose him". That to this day still makes me really upset as its something i would never want my daughter to see.

2 days later i got a card and nice box of choccies from his family saying thankyou for everything i did for them.

It makes you think so hard about all the little things in life and how the smallest thing can have such a huge impact on anything and everything. As you say, live for now and enjoy what we have, because tomorrow it may all be gone

Just a quick update guys.

We had a message from the ambulance staff to say that the machine they connected to his chest to show heart output etc showed that we managed to keep things going manually and properly until they arrived but he was already dead.

At least I don't feel like I either missed something or could have done something else to help.

H5

Hi mate

My Mrs is a diamond and I would not change her for ANYTHING. She is my rock when I need it and brought me back from a dark place and helped me to be me again.

Ming the lucky

Which is what life's all about IMO. Keeping those people near you and wrapping it up nicely in a GM 350Z (clean!) ;):)