Quite Ridiculous

Posidrive

52 year old male, never had an points on my license and max no claims bonus before working abroad for 4 years.

Now, after one year back in the UK, everyone wants at least £600 (OK, so I need to do 18k miles a year, but...) from me and that is with my pre UK departure company giving me a 4 year introductory discount. BUT, they refuse to add my wife to the policy because of one small claim by a 3rd party in Canada about a year and a half ago (Clipped car which was blocking her in our garage).

- Chris Knott. Came close last year, but this year want £742. Beats me why. No accidents, convictions or anything, so why has it gone up by 25%?

- Sky. Probably won't touch me because I was not driving in the UK for the past 2 years. That was the story last year.

Anyone any ideas????

I used admiral multicar.

I've got the Zed and my missus has a TT Quattro.

Cost me £645. I'm 26, got 3 points and don't live in a particularly good area. Worth a shot

Direct line can be good, as can Privelge.

It is shocking how much we're expected to pay considering how often you actually claim :thumbdown:

L&V won't insure a Zed with factory fit security :thumbdown:

Admiral quoted £640 and would cover my wife. In fact £860 with just me on the policy. Bizarre :dry:

Direct Line have just quoted £520 including my wife. Was £490 without her. Looks promising for them. I suspect they would have been too expensive normally, but they are willing to accept proof of no claims from our Canadian insurance companies :D

The issue with my wife and my current insurance company is bizarre. They were quite happy to insure her for many years in my 300ZX TT before we went to Canada and we survived 4 years without any proper accidents driving in a country where you drive in deep snow and on sheet ice for many months of the year. I don't see how a minor parking dint because someone inconsiderately blocked herein makes her uninsurable.

It does depend where you live.....................Posidrive, where are you from?

Wroughton, quite a nice area just outside of Swindon.

As much as anything I'm fuming because my current insurers refuse to add my wife to the policy as a named driver bevause to quote them "she does not have expereince of driving such cars" and because of one silly small claim in Canada that was not even a traffic accident. But they quite happily insured her as a named driver on the 300ZX TTs that I had before we went to Canada for 4 years. The 350Z is a far easier and safer car to drive!!!!!!!

Insurance companies have some very strange policies, I bought a second car last year (98mk2 mx-5) completely standard admiral £761 0-NCB(using my NCB on the zed), just re-insured it with sky/chaucer, £456 declared mods: supercharger +70-80bhp, rollbar, wheels, BBK, suspension, exhaust it makes no-sense at all.

Just keep searching mate, perhaps mildly adjust your anticipated milage a little ;)

as far as I am aware all insurance policies are set to go up by around 25% this year, most people are struggling to get the same as the previous year

Just renewed with More Than, last year £333 wantd £374 at renewal rang them got it back down to £334 :D

as far as I am aware all insurance policies are set to go up by around 25% this year, most people are struggling to get the same as the previous year

Just renewed with More Than, last year £333 wantd £374 at renewal rang them got it back down to £334 :D

........and for the 370, do you know what that is likely to be?

........and for the 370, do you know what that is likely to be?

Yes, when I renewed I told them I was changing to the 370 in September and they quoted me £424, not bad I thought considering the incresed bhp and value.

After sending a very terse eMail directly to the complaints department of my my current insurer, I received an apolegetic eMail from them followed by a phone call from the broker saying that there has been a misunderstanding and that they would insure my wife and also match the Direct Line price, so I'm staying with them after all. This one hickup aside I have always been very happy with NIG, although my claims dealings with them in the past has always been with no fault claims. Had 2 in just over a year and each time they waived the excess because of the circumstances of the incident. My old 300ZX TT was a bit of a burke magnet. In the 8 years that I had it I was rear ended twice, side swiped once and hit by a removal lorry in my company car park. Fortunately, all no fault claims.

BTW, does anyone know how much lee-way you have on the maximum annual mileage that you give them. Was within it last year, but moved house since and although the maximum miles that I gave them should be OK there is always the possibility of overshooting it if we take the Zed to Europe instead of my wife's car.