slight mishap - how do I rectify??

UNABASHED

I had a slight mishap with one of my lights over the weekend. Nothinbg too serious but it was off while I was cleaning it and sorting bulbs out etc and someone leant on it putting pressure on the top bold mounting bracket. The bracket proceeded to snap so now there are only 2 bolts holding the light in place (and a couple of big cable ties for now!).

Any idea how I can sort this without having to but a new headlight??

You can melt the plastic back together somehow, not sure how but I had a mate do mine on one of my old cars. :shrug: or some sort of epoxy glue :thumbs:

yeah glue might be a good call, thought about using fire (to be honest it's always my first thought on how to deal with any problem or situation) but then I had visions of this.....

Car%20on%20fire.jpg

maybe make a alu template underneath to keep in correct position then epoxy glue over everything then sand down a little for looks?

Sound slike a plan to me - does it matter what type of glue I'll need? liking the look of this epoxy stuff

well make sure it doesnt desolve the plastic, personally i would go for some areldite :thumbs:

make sure you prep both surfaces well through, key the plastci by scoring it with a blade and rough it up with some sandpaper. do the same with the alu

plastic welding. i.e. melting it together with heat is often done with a soldering iron. i personally think its a shoddy way to work as the polymer bonds are no longer the same where the join is. and it isn't as strong as it used to be.

i personally would make a small upside down "L" bracket to fit underneath where you join to pieces together, and then use a small piece of ally on top to make an ally; plastic; sandwich. i'd bond the lot together with areldite. then maybe a couple of wraps of gaffa tape. and redrill the original whole through the whole sandwich. ally thickness wise id be looking at 0.5mm -1mm sheet.

do what you usually do and get the hacksaw out! :lol:

thats' currently plan B :lol:

Got myself some aluminium, areldite and replacement plastic to fill the small gap. Don;t really want to take the bumper off though so going to try do it with with the light still attached.

My current setup of a cable tie threaded with rubber washers seems to be holding up pretty well though.