Fitness: Any Guru's about.

tez162003

Fitness - I need some!

Since hearing about that Insanity program on here few days ago, i have been thinking its time i sorted myself out.

Story of me so far, im 24 (just ;) ) and back when i was younger 15/16/17 i did alot of long distance running,, up there with county runners and also alot of bike riding, be in trials or distance.

Since then I got a steady Girlfirend and 'got comfortable'. Big mistake, I hit at my heaviest just on 16st. Im 6ft tall but even so, I was a heffer! So back in December 2008 I decided enough was enough, Diet was started. Killer diet to start with, not much exercise involved but very low carories, No specific plan as im no dietition but chicken was alot of meals lol

I then got down to 11st 8lbs in a space of 4 months, then mistakingly started to introduce a few things back into the diet, problem is i like my food... So I had to say hello to the mid 12st again :(

Gutted as i could start to see my stomach getting real flat. not anymore.

Anyway, that was just a big diet with few weights 3 times a week and a 25mile ride on a saturday morning.

Im looking to start doing some training, I dont want to go to a gym as i work 2 jobs so will be hard to fit in driving to the gym, id rather just do it at home or at work (I work evening job and no ones there anyway so id have space there)

My target is lose the weight i gained and some, and tone the hell up! Arms, chest, ab's. I wanna look like a surfer dude lol

I just need the push to start, once i start seeing results again, i dont need motivation as seeing results is enough to keep me going.

Anyway, looked at the 2 'common' fitness programs about on the web, Insanity (as talked about recently) and P90X. Reason I want a program, is i feel its a good starter for me getting back into fitness for good, As once i start something i am the sort of person who has to finish it. Where as if i just started doing few weights and a bike ride every week, id only go meh not bothered today.

Insanity looks great due to only needing the video and a bit of space, no exquipment! :) but it looks mental! and im not mega fit at the mo, and this is aimed for fitness fanatics, and even they struggle. Is this still do-able for a newbie/bit fit person as there are no set reps required, just as many as you can do in the set times?

But then i saw P90X, which seems to be a upper body workout designed to tone and rip. Exactly what i want but also wanting some fitness cardio etc too. (maybe do the P90X, then afterwards, incorporate some of the workouts into a routine as well as running, riding etc?)

Basically any ideas, in put, tips and tricks and advise to help me out would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and look forward to your responses.

Thanks

Terry

Don't forget though that its 80% Diet and 20% Exercise...............so killing yourself on exercise is easily negated by not eating or drinking right which is my downfall. I can hit my treadmill for an hour a day every single day without hesitation, but I just can't cut out my favourite foods and booze :blush:

Don't forget though that its 80% Diet and 20% Exercise...............so killing yourself on exercise is easily negated by not eating or drinking right which is my downfall. I can hit my treadmill for an hour a day every single day without hesitation, but I just can't cut out my favourite foods and booze :blush:

I beleive the OP wanted advice from "real" Guru's :p

p.s sort out your avatar :boxing:

Eat more and more often of the right stuff and you'll loose weight... it's a slow process though and crash diets will work in the short run. I've stopped eating bread and drinking milk... (for other reasons) and I'm starting to see myself loosing weight! Without any extra training and still drinking alcohol (which is a killer for calories) There are plenty of diet / training people... on here :D

What a load of crap, Ive been doing more than this for years and Im a massive fat heffer!

http://www.rosstraining.com

Lots of sample video clips to give you an idea of what would help. As a sample, try this:

3-5 circuits as follows:

10 Burpees - I manage at least 5 burpees per can of carling, so easily 15 per day.

15 Squats - Easy again. Do at least 9 of these the day after a curry or dodgy not so well done BBQ sausages, two curries a week and a handfull of sausages means im well over on the squits/squats whatever you want to call them.

20 Star Jumps - Star what now? I can polish of 20 starburst per DAY easily.

15 Pushups - We keep the buscuit tin on the top shelf, putting this back 15 times a day should cover this.

10 Burpees - more than covered with the burpees from above

60 seconds rest - Certainly not a problem

Do this 3 times a week.

What a load of crap, Ive been doing more than this for years and Im a massive fat heffer!

Lots of sample video clips to give you an idea of what would help. As a sample, try this:

3-5 circuits as follows:

10 Burpees - I manage at least 5 burpees per can of carling, so easily 15 per day.

15 Squats - Easy again. Do at least 9 of these the day after a curry or dodgy not so well done BBQ sausages, two curries a week and a handfull of sausages means im well over on the squits/squats whatever you want to call them.

15 Pushups - We keep the buscuit tin on the top shelf, putting this back 15 times a day should cover this.

Do this 3 times a week.

:lol::lol::lol:

I say be plump, you never santa looking unhappy!!

Eat more and more often of the right stuff and you'll loose weight... it's a slow process though and crash diets will work in the short run. I've stopped eating bread and drinking milk... (for other reasons) and I'm starting to see myself loosing weight! Without any extra training and still drinking alcohol (which is a killer for calories) There are plenty of diet / training people... on here :D

+1 on the bread and milk! I had to cut out yeast and milk due to a food allergy that cripples my tummy! I feel so much better for cutting out bread though! cut that out and watch the weight fall off! (train as well though!) My only down fall is alcohol......and every single alcoholic beverage contains yeast!!! So the next day, I'm guaranteed to have a bloated belly! :(

3-5 circuits as follows:

Do this 3 times a week.

sticky! :drunk::clap:

thanks for the quick replies, i know crash dieting works short term but not long term, which is why i didnt expect it to stay off forever lol. I lost nearly 4.5st in 4 months afterall! and only since put on just under 1st in a year and a bit.

This time round i want to lose weight and get fit, but make it part of my life, not just 60 days then back on the burgers!

I guess a good start for me is I dont drink alcohol, so dont miss that, pretty much just drnk water, (have done for years) dont eat cheese anymore (not done since that diet, so thats over a year and a half now) but im the sort of person who see's it as being so long without, why ruin it now, i get the odd craving when the misses orders domino's but i can easily resist.

Im not looking for a crash diet, if im going to be doing alot more pysical exercise than last time i need the protein, fats and calories.

Just like the idea of a definative program on dvd or something to follow for couple of months just to get me started then i can ease off and just make it part of the daily routine, (i actually envy the people who i see jogging, knowing they have it down in there routine and i dont) all i need is that push to get started, see some quick(ish) results to give me all the motivation i need to continue and develop further and never let it go.

In terms of diet I would recommend basing your meals around a high protein, low carb diet.

Aim to eat at least 5 - 6 meals a day to keep your metabolic rate up ..

You can do what ever type of training you want ... whether its Cardio or weights ... but I think doing about 30 minutes of Weight training before some cardio works well for overall weight loss ...

You've gotta be strict with your diet as well ... although you can have a cheat meal once a week if you need to ...

Really depends on what your ultimate goal is. If you want to look ripped with good sized muscles then you would need to hit the gym. If you want to just loose weight then just do a cardio program, particularly recommend some form of HIIT training which suits you.

I personally don't think there's any half and half method to getting ripped. If you want to be muscley then you have to hit the weights hard, eat lots, bulk up, which will include gaining a little chub along the way. Then when you've gone from 12 stone to 14 stone and kept your body fat % as low as possible you incorporate some sessions of cardio into your weight routine and tighten the carbs in your diet, the chub will soon burn off and leave you ripped hopefully at about 12.5 - 13 stone in weight, with a body fat percentage between 7% - 10%.

Try the programs out for yourself and see how you get on, but personally I don't rate them. Arnold Swarchenegger didn't have p90x or Insanity training in the 70's, and Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman don't use them now. Granted these guy's are all on steroids but that doesn't change anything other than the fact their routine's are a more intense form of what a natural does.

Important thing is research research research, understand why your eating what your eating and why your doing that training, its far better than just blindly doing it.

All the best

cheers for that advise, :thumbs:

as ive said several times already, i'm not saying i think these programs are the be all and end all of fitness, only live by that etc.

only mentioned them as it was maybe an intense start i need to get going with a sort of pre made workout to get me going while i research. Its something 'all in one' to follow to get me going, then after the 60/90 days, i can set about making my own routines and diets. I'm not a half arsed person, once i set my goal and have the motivation.. im doing it! its just getting the starting motiviation that seems to be hard right now, once i start and get into a routine and fit it in my daily life, then id be happy. Im not expecting to be mr perfect or be even close over night.

I may try out a program, get me started and possibly work a tad , follow there diet plan to start. and while doing this, research the foods when and why you eat them, (i know basics but could learn a hell of alot more!) then plan done, move onto doing my own thing, introduce my riding and running while hitting the weights.

My aim isnt to get big and muscly like some beefcake posser boy thinking he's gods gift to women. Just want to tone what i have really. Then maybe set about gaining abit of size later on (im sure thats along way off though)

cheers for that advise, :thumbs:

as ive said several times already, i'm not saying i think these programs are the be all and end all of fitness, only live by that etc.

only mentioned them as it was maybe an intense start i need to get going with a sort of pre made workout to get me going while i research. Its something 'all in one' to follow to get me going, then after the 60/90 days, i can set about making my own routines and diets. I'm not a half arsed person, once i set my goal and have the motivation.. im doing it! its just getting the starting motiviation that seems to be hard right now, once i start and get into a routine and fit it in my daily life, then id be happy. Im not expecting to be mr perfect or be even close over night.

I may try out a program, get me started and possibly work a tad , follow there diet plan to start. and while doing this, research the foods when and why you eat them, (i know basics but could learn a hell of alot more!) then plan done, move onto doing my own thing, introduce my riding and running while hitting the weights.

My aim isnt to get big and muscly like some beefcake posser boy thinking he's gods gift to women. Just want to tone what i have really. Then maybe set about gaining abit of size later on (im sure thats along way off though)

'Toning' is a myth :p

If your hearts set on a program to get you started then I could advise the Body for Life program.

A friend used it and had some very good results, but he followed it to the letter. It's got good info on workout routines, cardio routines and excellent diet information. Plus it teaches you why you eat what you eat and when you eat, and the background of maintaining insulin levels etc etc. If your interested gimme a PM ;)

If your hearts set on a program to get you started then I could advise the Body for Life program.

A friend used it and had some very good results, but he followed it to the letter. It's got good info on workout routines, cardio routines and excellent diet information. Plus it teaches you why you eat what you eat and when you eat, and the background of maintaining insulin levels etc etc. If your interested gimme a PM ;)

+1 :thumbs:

I've been hitting the gym for 2 years now and have been religious about my diet and training etc ... I was trying to bulk from August through to March and was able to add some decent weight ... now it's better weather and almost holiday time I've been incorporating some cardio into my workouts ...

Getting your body to build muscle is not easy (for me anyway) .. I think that if I didn't put in 100% effort into it then I'd have little or no results ...

The main thing is persistence ...

+1 :thumbs:

I've been hitting the gym for 2 years now and have been religious about my diet and training etc ... I was trying to bulk from August through to March and was able to add some decent weight ... now it's better weather and almost holiday time I've been incorporating some cardio into my workouts ...

Getting your body to build muscle is not easy (for me anyway) .. I think that if I didn't put in 100% effort into it then I'd have little or no results ...

The main thing is persistence ...

Hardgainer? tell me about it mate :thumbdown:

I have a friend to who just looks at weights and builds up muscle on a diet of peanut butter sandwiches.

I'm going nuts with strict dieting and 6 days a week at the gym and struggling!

Hardgainer? tell me about it mate :thumbdown:

I have a friend to who just looks at weights and builds up muscle on a diet of peanut butter sandwiches.

I'm going nuts with strict dieting and 6 days a week at the gym and struggling!

Yeah it can be frustrating when trying to add weight ... especially since some friends have it so easy .. but on the plus side, when it comes to loosing that extra bit for holidays etc, it's really easy for me ... and I much prefer being ripped and smaller compare to a load of mass ...

It's all down to body types and genetics as well ... I know if I were ever to stop training and eating properly ... I would naturally loose weight and size until I reached my previous tall and skinny state ... whereas I have friends who if they stopped ... would naturally add lots of bad weight ...

I don't mind too much ... It's not meant to be easy otherwise everyone would look muscluar and ripped etc ... LoL