Help!! - faulty traction control/ESP

Conrad

I've owned my Zed now for 18 months or so. When I first bought it I noticed the ESP light used to stick on every now and again even if I hadn't spun the wheels. Now for the last few months it's permantly stuck on and the traction control isn't working (I think).

I'm running 19" aftermarket wheels if that makes any difference. Is there a fuse for the TC for me to check or has anyone heard of the TC being faulty? If so how can I check it and what's likely to be at fault? I just want the ESP lights off my dash...

Just to clarify guys, the TC no longer works and the ESP light is on at all times. Pressing the ESP button has no effect and I'm not losing power...

I have just checked and I have got 225/40's on the front and 255/35's on the back, the wheels are 19".

Anyone got any ideas? I'd just take it to a mechanic if I had one locally that I knew had experience with the cars. My local garage I normally use is hopeless at stuff like this...

they are weird tyre sizes mate

the fronts 0.44% out (not so bad) and the back are minus 2.45% out

what are the wheel widths and why such funky sizes?

And if the tyres are well worn that combination could well be the very reason why you feel the TC is not working. ;)

Not sure why the sizes are weird as the wheels were on the car when I bought it. But surely the percentage the wheels are out by is so small that it can't really make much difference? The rears are wider than the fronts by 30mm either way...

If it was the tyres which was causing the TC failure would it rectify itself by changing tyres or would I need to replace the TC or par of it? Obviously replacing tyres is an expensive option especially as IIRC they're in pretty good nick.

I'm just concerned that the tyres aren't the cause of it. Reason being I never had any issues that other members had whereby the ESP was kicking in for no reason at all. Mine always stayed off but the light was coming on intermittently and now permanently..

Not sure why the sizes are weird as the wheels were on the car when I bought it. But surely the percentage the wheels are out by is so small that it can't really make much difference? The rears are wider than the fronts by 30mm either way...

If it was the tyres which was causing the TC failure would it rectify itself by changing tyres or would I need to replace the TC or par of it? Obviously replacing tyres is an expensive option especially as IIRC they're in pretty good nick.

I'm just concerned that the tyres aren't the cause of it. Reason being I never had any issues that other members had whereby the ESP was kicking in for no reason at all. Mine always stayed off but the light was coming on intermittently and now permanently..

You got the car in February 2009 and told us in May 2009 the car had done 60k miles and it had the Zito wheels on then. You have not mentioned how many miles you have done since and seem to be saying you have not changed the tyres yet you say they are in pretty good nick - suggesting you have not used the car much and, shall we say, been gentle with the power ;)

I would suggest you check the basics first - how much tread have you actually got left and is there even wear across the tread. Make sure the tyre pressures are 35psi, when cold.

Normally for 19" wheels, 245 at the front and 275 at the rear with the profiles you have are used, but the rather unique offset the Zito wheels (and rim width?) may dictate something else is warranted. But I have little doubt that your TC problems are down to the tyre/wheel combination and tyre wear over an 18 month period is the root cause of your TC issues.

Okey dokey,

Just been out to double check tread. All tyres have plenty tread - approx 7mm. The NS front has slight wear to outer rim but by no means is it balding (2nd pic). I have posted pics below of tyres, just one of the rear as they're the same - both look as new to be honest.

I think as you mentioned Col that when I bought the car it had approx 60k on the clock, probably closer to 62k IIRC. It's now covered 65k miles so approx 3-4k miles in 18 months. I'm pretty sure the wheels/tyres were brand new when I bought the car as they were immaculate, not a curb scuff in sight (unlike now!)

If my tyres have caused the ESP fault how do I fix it? Will something need fixing/replacing as well as changing the tyres?

FrontOS-1.jpg

FrontNS.jpg

RearOS.jpg

its possible that the traction control looks at the difference in wheel speed front to back as part of its calculation as to amount of slip. your fronts are out by a positive amount while back a negative amount, this means there is actually an even larger difference front to back . This is just a guess as to the cause of the problem, the sizes are quite odd. the reason i ask the widths is to see if there was a reason only 225's could go on the front and 255 on the back if they are particularly skinny rims.

Alot of fault codes in the car are soft fault codes that can be turned off by an ignition cycle, however some modules are set to count the number of these soft faults and then when a certain number of errors are reached log a hard fault that gives a permanent light. It makes sense, if a module has reported a fault enough times then something must be wrong with module or the car and needs looked at, so throws a light up for you to take it into nissan.

Just a guess though so could be a sensor or something else? you could try maybe borrowing a set of "normal" wheels from someone local and then getting the light turned off to see if it rectifies it? or get nissan to read the fault code on the car to see if there is a fault with a sensor etc?

Just a guess though so could be a sensor or something else? you could try maybe borrowing a set of "normal" wheels from someone local and then getting the light turned off to see if it rectifies it? or get nissan to read the fault code on the car to see if there is a fault with a sensor etc?

I can borrow a set of Rays if needs be but any ideas how I can turn the ESP light off? Or reset the ESP? It's permanently stuck on and the switch has no effect. Also, is it possible to find out the error codes without taking it to Nissan?

Also, and at the risk of making my own thread go OT, I see you are into Huskeys Husky? :D:offtopic:

I'm moving out at the end of the year and the first thing on my list is a dog. My GF loves Huskeys and wants me to have one of those. I'm a tad sceptical as I have no experience of them and we have a baby on the way. I've grown up with Staffys and despite the unjust negative press they're superb family dogs but my GF hates them! What's the pros and cons to a Husky (I'm assuming you own one?? :doh: )

Decisions decisions! :headhurt:

hmm im not sure about turning the light off without nissan :shrug: but i know you can manually get the fault code off the car.. someone will be along im sure who knows it.

if you can borrow a set of rays that may well be an option to see if it makes a difference if you dont want to head to nissan.

EDIT: sent you a pm btw :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

WOOO **** HOOOO! Just managed to fix this!! :drive1 :drive1 :drive1:yahoo: :yahoo:

Complete fluke but I have also been having an airbag fault flashing up. Just did a search on here and somebody said to switch ignition on, wait for airbag light to flash then switch off & wait 5 secs. Repeat this 3 times to get rid of error. I did this and to my delight this procedure removed both the airbag fault and ESP fault. My traction control is now working again, I am chuffed to bits!!!

I'll update my other thread in case somebody ever has the same fault. Seems that maybe the ignition on/off and wait 5 secs removes more than just airbag faults!!

Cheers for the help anyways Husky!