Any interest in a 350z tow hitch? for bike racks!

was8v

I am thinking of getting one of these hitches:

http://www.hitchsource.com/nissan-350z- ... 27988.html

From here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0394433768 (the picture is wrong)

via:

http://www.myus.com/ or shipito.com as no-one wants to ship to the UK direct.

This is to fit a hitch mount bike rack, as my Saris boot rack wobbles about a lot and prevents access to the boot. I don't like the idea of trusting the boofsquire rack - poor feet, I don't trust it with my bikes.

They are of course designed for towing, but not type approved in the UK so I don't think its legal here to tow with them.

16aa6w9.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

Lots more pics here: http://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-in ... -code.html

Anyone else in?

Looking at: $112 for the hitch, ~$100 to myus or shipito = £142 + approx 30% duty and VAT = about £185

:scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare:

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

:scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare:

LOL, its not as bad as the strap on bike rack I currently use...... With that I worry about my paint work and my bikes..... A receiver hitch would fix both of those, and let me get in the boot with the bikes on.

This leaves only a small cut at the bottom of the rear bumper, which a bumper tuck will hide if / when the hitch is removed....

I enjoy driving the Z and MTBing, why not have the best of both world and drive the Z to the trails....

Damn Nissan for not making a roof rack like Porsche/BMW/Audi all do. I was tempted to get a Z4 coupe for this very reason until i saw these hitches.

apparently this has been looked at and been dismissed for a number of reasons. im sure if you dig through search its there somewhere. there were questions as to the engine loading for towing as the drivetrain isnt set up for pulling a load other than the car (prolonged engine loading etc). I assume this is taken through the chassis? again its not designed for this so i would look at the amount you are towing on that area. i like the idea as i wouldnt have to go out and buy a shed to get my windsurfing gear out and about but i see it having its problems.

apparently this has been looked at and been dismissed for a number of reasons. im sure if you dig through search its there somewhere. there were questions as to the engine loading for towing as the drivetrain isnt set up for pulling a load other than the car (prolonged engine loading etc). I assume this is taken through the chassis? again its not designed for this so i would look at the amount you are towing on that area. i like the idea as i wouldnt have to go out and buy a shed to get my windsurfing gear out and about but i see it having its problems.

I'm not towing, just mounting a bike rack, eg:

hitch05pu4.jpg

wgq6xg.jpg

Since the 350z is not type approved for towing in the UK then it is illegal to tow. Plenty of people of the thread linked on my350z towing just fine in the states however.

No No and No ..................Looking at the rear chassis and rusty bits lol :blush: their is a lot of allumininm bits underneath and I would not like to attach anything to the underside to use it as a tow truck :headhurt: .... that tow hitch is tested so it says to 1500kgs right so the actual tow weight would be around 500- 600gks so basicaly I would only think about towing my lunchbox behind me :lol: and would be wondering that if I hit a pot hole on a hill the trailor and the rear of the car would be left behind me :lol::lol:

get a cheap tow car mate .... I use my bm touring for my bikes etc ......

My honest oppinion being a welder :teeth:

Ste .

No No and No ..................Looking at the rear chassis and rusty bits lol :blush: their is a lot of allumininm bits underneath and I would not like to attach anything to the underside to use it as a tow truck :headhurt: .... that tow hitch is tested so it says to 1500kgs right so the actual tow weight would be around 500- 600gks so basicaly I would only think about towing my lunchbox behind me :lol: and would be wondering that if I hit a pot hole on a hill the trailor and the rear of the car would be left behind me :lol::lol:

get a cheap tow car mate .... I use my bm touring for my bikes etc ......

My honest oppinion being a welder :teeth:

Ste .

Again - I'm not going to use it to tow anything. The guys in the states use them to tow jet skis and wheels to the track, we know it won't support much.

The hitch is rated to a tongue weight of 150lbs, 2 XC mountain bikes weigh 60lbs. Will be fine!!!!

Why would I want to drive a cheap car to the trails when I have a Z at home!? I already sue a strap on rack - this seems a much better option!

• 2 weeks later...

I did some calculations.

Assuming the tongue weight (rated at 150lbs) is measured at 100mm from the hitch

Assuming the mass of the bikes acts 500mm from the hitch (sitting on a rack)

Then the total weight you can carry is about 14 kg or 29lbs i.e. one bike max.

hmmm maybe the bird automotive with its support straps is looking better.