350z 300 verses Clio V6 255

deank93

Afternoon all,

I'd keen on both the clio 255 V6 and the 300bhp 350z and wondered if anyone had owned or spent time behind the wheel of both as I'd be interested in peoples views.

Practicality isn't an issue as I'm after a weekend sunny evening type of car, running costs seem about the same, purchase price is also about the same and reviews for both are very good.

Thanks.

Clio not as fast as you might think, but well on its way to modern classic status. Buy it for the bonkers looks, not for the handling. Clio trophy probably faster on the twisties.

350Z much more torquey, also possibly a classic in the making. Better dynamics, and probably more practical as these things go!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I've not owned a Clio V6 but I know someone who has, and I also looked at purchasing one in the past.

My opinion was the Clio V6 wasn't really all it was cracked up to be, it's still a Clio at the end of the day and doesn't really drive that great - I actually prefer the standard sports Clios, they're much moer fun and a hell of a lot less likely to kill you! The V6s have great straight line speed, and they do 'feel' a bit quicker that the 350z, and they're certainly a lot rarer.

I went for the 350z as it's a more all-round motor. More comfortable, better looking (opinion, of course) and you can have some real fun in them quite safely as they are very progressive round corners. Don't know much about modding the V6 Clios, and imagine to be extremely expensive and probably not a good idea as re-sale goes. The 350z has lots of options, both cheap and not so cheap, and you can get mega performance for a couple £k if you're into that side of things.

Drive them both, you'll make up your own mind.

One thing you can't get with the Clio is this forum, so that should settle it... :lol::thumbs:

I have been in a few clio v6 255 bhp ones and i was not that impressed really , engine sounded nice but the zed ( i have a 313 bhp model ) felt quicker to me. They are also more expensive to run and maintain than the zed , speaking to a few clio v6 owners. ...... but they do look bonkers , a proper nutty car! I would say the zed is way ahead of the clio in pretty much all areas

I think i read in evo mag that there are 2 kinds of v6 clio drivers,

1. they have spun and hit something

2. they have spun and not hit anything

due to the minimal lock on them and the short wheel base once you loose traction on the back, unless you are a very competent technical driver the back will overtake the front.

Is it just a play thing you want? or something to cruise about in?

are you wanting to invest in it and then maybe make money back at a later date?

If your looking to make money back on what you buy, then i'd say the clio, they are rare on the roads as it is, and with the spin factor there will be less and less leading to better residuals.

As Above, just go to some dealerships and test drive, no one on here can tell you which you'll prefer, i know people who have had a v6 clio and hated it, and some who loved it, same with the 350z.

Had the megane f1 before my Zed and as much as I loved the megane, I would never swap my Z for anything, especially not for another frenchie :teeth: . I thought the 255 clio's looked like climbing frames if I'm honest. Zeds have the beauty of being good looking machines :yahoo:

I've had fun in a V6 255 on a track day and it felt very fast... however, at the time it was only the second performance car I had ever driven (after an Impreza) so the memory might be somewhat embellished.!?

I agree with the general consensus on here though: you probably wouldn't buy it mainly for performance or the dynamics. You would buy it for what it is... a bonkers car with an amazing road presence. I think they are great!

There's an Evo bookmag out at the moment which has a purchase guide for the Clio V6 255 if that helps?

Oh and yes... I did spin it (and didn't hit anything)!!

had a friend that had one. bloody rapid (felt like it anyway) and sounded nice. but man was it hot, in the cabin. yes its bonkers and totally different, but its not something that i could live with. he had a 182 cup before it and i really loved that.

IMO dont bother. its hot and doesnt handle that well. the 182 cup doesnt look as mental but i bet could be faster/quicker with the right mods.

IMO I'd go for a really nice Trophy in mint nick.

The V6 was a real "statement" car. Whereas the Trophy was a well considered drivers car and as has been said already a far sweeter drive and faster car point to point. I've driven a Clio 182 Cup and thought it was the finest front driver ever made.

I'm guessing the V6 won't look so cool when it heading at speed backwards through a hedge. Cruising downtown is another thing of course. More visual impact than a Ferrari. :lol:

Bradders.

One day I will own one in yellow. Absolutely beautiful cars, mad as a box of frogs and I'd love to have one more than anything. Hell, I'd swap the Zed tomorrow for the right one.

They do look rather nice in Liquid Yellow I must agree...

And I'm glad someone corrected Mr Clarkson...

I had a clio 172 cup with 190bhp and a set of coilovers on and that thing was amazing i was 100% in love with it, very very good cars. This little car would really wipe the smile from alot of "fasts" cars ! Unfortunatley i crashed it ( not doing anything stupid i might add) and my wife almost lost her foot because of it :thumbdown:

one answer

its a renault :lol:

350 zeds run renault engines :p

Wrong mate... 100% nissan engine :dry: - stop listening to the rubbish they say on top gear... :thumbdown:

Fully agree! Just had a rant on another thread about this! Do your research before quoting the nation's biggest buffoon.

Had a friend with a Mk1 V6 Clio (think it was 225Bhp as opposed to the Mk2 which was 255Bhp) and both been on track in it and followed it. Performance wise it was marginally quicker than the 182 I used to own on the straights (we're talking pulling 1 car length 20 - 120ish) but my car would reign it in on the corners. Maybe because my car allowed me to feel more confident. I did heve it well set up. Didn't drive the V6 though.

As for the widowmaker reputation - he hit a puddle on the dual carriageway at 75ish Mph, rear end instantly overtook the front end and the car span down the central reservation and disintegrated into around 1500 pieces.

Pretty boring inside aswell, just your basic 172 / 182 spec interior, and I've heard that they can be written off for something as minor as needing a new bumper, due to the increadibly low volume of parts manufactured and therefore inflated prices.

Insane to look at, and may be a decent investment if you got a good one and looked after it, but not really for me.

I'm currently on the look out for a zed :thumbs: