Almost crashed in my Fiesta today - suggestions..?

marzman

Well... i've had my fiesta for 5 weeks now, and today i nearly died!!

The road was slightly wet, i was doing 15mph around a very bad bend with around 12ft visibility, when at the worst possible moment a tractor came the opposite way. I stamped on the brake pedal, but didnt slow down - i just skidded for around 10ft (no ABS) and finished literally inches from this tractor. I got it to stop by yanking on the handbrake and stalling it. I've never come so close to such a big accident (albeit at not much speed).

So... im assuming tyres are the problem here? Its running on *cough* nexen's... but they've got about 6mm tread on them, although i dont know how old they are.

So - what do i do? Looking on camskill's, i can get some Toyo's for £27 each, but then the Nexen's are £28 each, so does this mean the tyres in that price range are all @*!#, or will Toyo's always be better than Nexen's?

Im hopefully only keeping the car for another 6-8 weeks, and then i'll be getting a propper car, so resally dont want to be forking out £100 when its only temporary! (maybe another zed - im so tempted!)

Any suggestions?

I don't know much about tyres but I reckon u should get another Zed :thumbs:

Very good chance i will pal... :)

£27 for a tyre :scare: that is cheeeeaaaappppppp

do you know how many mile pa the owner used to do or how long the car has been sat for?

Thats the same sort of lines i was thinking of... car is 11 years old but has only 45k on the clock, so its not had much use... hopefully thats it.

Well... i've had my fiesta for 5 weeks now, and today i nearly died!!

The road was slightly wet, i was doing 15mph around a very bad bend with around 12ft visibility, when at the worst possible moment a tractor came the opposite way. I stamped on the brake pedal, but didnt slow down - i just skidded for around 10ft (no ABS) and finished literally inches from this tractor. I got it to stop by yanking on the handbrake and stalling it. I've never come so close to such a big accident (albeit at not much speed).

So... im assuming tyres are the problem here? Its running on *cough* nexen's... but they've got about 6mm tread on them, although i dont know how old they are.

So - what do i do? Looking on camskill's, i can get some Toyo's for £27 each, but then the Nexen's are £28 each, so does this mean the tyres in that price range are all @*!#, or will Toyo's always be better than Nexen's?

Im hopefully only keeping the car for another 6-8 weeks, and then i'll be getting a propper car, so resally dont want to be forking out £100 when its only temporary! (maybe another zed - im so tempted!)

Any suggestions?

My mate was running some dengy scrap yard second tyres they where rubbish. I got him to get some falkens ziex 912s for 33quid each off camskill and its 100x better. Some times tyres are expensive and wont have much grip but they last forever. Toyos will be softer than the nexens for sure. Also make sure you have enough brake fluid in your car.

It will be the road surface most likely. By that, I mean once the roads get wet after a prolonged period of warm weather, there is a lot of sap and dust that gets into the surface. When it rains a bit rather than wash it away it turns it into a slippery substance that isn't too nice to play near the limit of grip on! There is often a story of a Zed getting out of shape after the first rain after a summer period. Just take it easy and think when it is damp - it's worse than proper wet as when it is really wet it is water and not a slippery mush. :)