New range rover

Husky

when I first saw this I thought it was a similar size to the RR Sport, ie a bit smaller than an Audi Q7 - looking at the youtube clips either all the people are 7' 6" tall or this is the size of a ford focus
+1 You only get the scale of the thing when George gets out - he is quite tall though! :lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Husky I'm a bit biased but I really like it. I think a lot of people are overestimating the size of it, in real life it's quite small, a lot smaller than a Range Rover Sport.

I had some fun driving one all round the country last week in full psychedelic camo, spotted quite a few zeds whilst on my travels too.

In that case its size makes it nothing more than a big handbag (now the Victoria Beckham marketing falls into place). So its just going to be a wag shopping car then? Whats wrong with a good old Golf if thats the size of the thing?

In fact, given its size, its obvious its bearing the Range Rover badge purely to shift it based on the reputation of its larger siblings and the image attached to them. Starting to seem a bit pointless now :shrug:

She does seem to have a reverse midas touch :lol:

I think its because they have always been "fans" of the cars and have wanted to do something with JLR for a while - so someone decided to give her some sort of made up role in oredr to try and strengthen the marketing. Obviously having not seen any of her marketing before :lol: Same as you, having a car that is linked to Victoria Beckham will make it be seen as just a fashion accessory. Which will either make it sell in vast numbers or bomb badly.

You would think that they would rather market a car for being a car instead of linking it to a celeb :shrug:

I wonder if the beckhams had an issue with the paintwork on a JLR car whether they would be subject to the same shite service as the common person... I'd guess not.

I really like the styling.

Is this the FWD one though? That (to me) is a major mistake.....

I'm a JLR fan and I can see my other half wanting one. Roll on JLR residuals! :teeth:

I really like the styling.

Is this the FWD one though? That (to me) is a major mistake.....

I'm a JLR fan and I can see my other half wanting one. Roll on JLR residuals! :teeth:

There's going to be both a 4WD version and a FWD version. The 4WD one should be very competent indeed offroad (the FWD one probably less so!).

I'll take a 4WD one then please!

I'll let the Sales department know!

I also wasn't too impressed to hear about a 2WD version but I guess for the type of car it is not many owners would ever take theirs offroad anyway. It also helps bring down the CO2 emissions which seems to be getting ever more important these days. I know it's a bit like comparing apples with oranges but I think bringing out a FWD Evoque to reduce the fleet CO2 emissions is less harmful to the Range Rover brand than bringing out a Cygnet could be to the Aston Martin brand.

personally i dont think it looks girly, it looks genderless which i think is a really hard thing to design for and appeals to everyone. so it seems odd to then swing it over to 50% of the market, yes.

Nice description! :thumbs: I couldn't agree more! It's a gorgeous looking car and I might just try and persuade my brother to get one! That's if they do a supercharged one! :lol:

I'll take a 4WD one then please!

I'll let the Sales department know!

Just let me know where to send the £100 cheque and the delivery date! :teeth:

:lol:

I'll try and find out for you but unfortunately I'm not sure you'll get too much for your £100, it is a Range Rover after all, sorry.

the car has been designed from the ground up, although it says freelander based its actually very different. I'm a fan and beside the name etc i would be buying a 4wd one if i were in the position :)

regarding 2wd you have to remember the saving by removing the transmission, rear diff, etc etc so saves fuel, CO2, cost etc etc. i agree stew but its on the same principle as bringing out a diesel as the next zed :shrug:

So whats the reason for sticking a Range Rover badge on it instead of a landrover badge?

My guess is that Landrover buyers would expect a rugged off road performer that goes up a plowed field as well as it drives on the road. Range Rover buyers however will take it nowhere near even so much as a puddle, couldnt give a toss about its practicality and will buy it for the badge and looks.

Now I'm hardly in a position to be criticising anyone for buying a badge, but lets not try and pretend this is going to set the world alight with its off road performance. Id be surprised if as many as 1% make it into a field (unless done the hard way by drivers taking the odd corner too quickly in their "sporty" Rangie).

The Range Rover brand since te 70s has moved away from the luxury off road performer to now just an extension of a handbag/manbag with only a passing lip service to any off road ability, moreso in the last 10 years. The involvment of Victoria Beckham is, in my opinion, the confirmation of this now complete transition to fashion vehicle rather than anything that actually takes itself seriously in the 4x4 luxury market anymore.

The current Range Rovers are all capable off road even if not many people use them there.

The reason this new one is a Range Rover and not a Land Rover is because it will have a very luxurious interior and will be fully kitted up. It's likely to be just as good off road as a Freelander and that has a Land Rover badge!

JLR, just like everyone else, know that Range Rovers dont go anywhere near off road. Though I think the off road prowess is one of the reasons they get bought, even though the customers will never use that of road prowess.

They are also bought for their size in conjunction with the badge.

By dropping its size considerably, one of the main "pose" factors in its size is lost, so I assume a section of the market will stick with the RR Sport.

As I say, the fact that RR's rarely even make it off road now and are seen as nothing more than fashion accessories is backed up by the involvement of Victoria Beckham. Its the VB wanabees around the world that they want to buy this car afterall. There really is no other reason to involve such a marmite personality in their organisation unless it is specifically aimed at the permatan luis vitton weilding wag types on my opinion.

It will be interesting to see its off road capabilities tested, and see how well it sells. Its certainly a bit of a gamble for JLR I think.

For the record I took my Dads old Range Rover Vogue (none of your 'sport' gay versions for him!) offroad. There were pictures to prove it and everything! :p

It's brilliant offroad actually. Ok, I never tested it and neither did dad but it is probably one of the most capable cars offroad out there.

I've driven landcruisers through all manner of rubbish in the Siberian Winter and the Saharan summer. I have no doubt that a proper Range Rover could easily hold it's own in either of those extremes equally as well as the land cruiser.

JLR, just like everyone else, know that Range Rovers dont go anywhere near off road. Though I think the off road prowess is one of the reasons they get bought, even though the customers will never use that of road prowess.

They are also bought for their size in conjunction with the badge.

By dropping its size considerably, one of the main "pose" factors in its size is lost, so I assume a section of the market will stick with the RR Sport.

As I say, the fact that RR's rarely even make it off road now and are seen as nothing more than fashion accessories is backed up by the involvement of Victoria Beckham. Its the VB wanabees around the world that they want to buy this car afterall. There really is no other reason to involve such a marmite personality in their organisation unless it is specifically aimed at the permatan luis vitton weilding wag types on my opinion.

It will be interesting to see its off road capabilities tested, and see how well it sells. Its certainly a bit of a gamble for JLR I think.

I pretty much agree with everything you've said there. I think they'll be aiming for new sectors of the market though so it won't matter if other people stick with their RR Sports. I personally believe it will be a big sales success but maybe that's partly due to some corporate brainwashing, lets wait and see!

my next door neighbour (with more money than sense) just traded in his range rover sport hse (worth a bloody fortune which he tried to sell to me, :lol:) for a new rnage rover. not sure if is the shape in the pic from the OP but i hope, is well nice, and i hope i will get to use it when he goes on holiday, which is pretty often. :teeth: