Mark on interior door panel

Mrcofpep

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found the results of Megs and Autoglym to be about the same, the difference is that Autoglym requires about 4 times the manual effort to achieve the result.

Depends what you're using and what you want to achieve. Meguiars does have a good following but then concourse winners tend to have Glym in their repertoire somewhere along the lines.

I don't believe you can get a super smooth finish without the effort, so while Meguiars might have the chemical effect, not sure it actually results in a better quality finish.......

Either way, any cleaning effort is good in my book!!! :thumbs::teeth::thumbs::teeth::thumbs::teeth::thumbs::teeth:

I have found the results of Megs and Autoglym to be about the same, the difference is that Autoglym requires about 4 times the manual effort to achieve the result.

Depends what you're using and what you want to achieve. Meguiars does have a good following but then concourse winners tend to have Glym in their repertoire somewhere along the lines.

I don't believe you can get a super smooth finish without the effort, so while Meguiars might have the chemical effect, not sure it actually results in a better quality finish.......

Either way, any cleaning effort is good in my book!!! :thumbs::teeth::thumbs::teeth::thumbs::teeth::thumbs::teeth:

I defer to your better knowledge H5 :notworthy: (I have been following the "bling off" :thumbs: ) I'm not knocking Autoglym as a whole though, far from it, I am a fan of the combined layered protection of their "super resin polish" and "extra gloss protetction" products, but whilst these do seem to give a good protective seal the finish did not have the lustre I wanted (but I'm probably doing it wrong!) so I feel it needs a wax over the top and I have found Megs to be easier for this frequent post wash wax shine.

I totally agree that the effort is required and pays dividends but the Autoglym job above (resin polish and gloss) takes a looooong time :wheelchair: and the gloss dries so hard (which I guess is the desired result) that its a $od of a job to buff off.... and it leaves a white residue in some of the hard to reach cracks (like the seal between the roof and top of door frame on the Zed). But its only a 6 monthly job so maybe I should get over it.

Any tips for an amateur scrubber?

Do you know af any other products that offer this same tough paint seal but are easier to apply?

Do I need a buffer??? Will it cause swirl marks? (dont say only if you use it wrong because I promise I will! :doh: )

I defer to your better knowledge H5 :notworthy: (I have been following the "bling off" :thumbs: ) I'm not knocking Autoglym as a whole though, far from it, I am a fan of the combined layered protection of their "super resin polish" and "extra gloss protetction" products, but whilst these do seem to give a good protective seal the finish did not have the lustre I wanted (but I'm probably doing it wrong!) so I feel it needs a wax over the top and I have found Megs to be easier for this frequent post wash wax shine.

I totally agree that the effort is required and pays dividends but the Autoglym job above (resin polish and gloss) takes a looooong time :wheelchair: and the gloss dries so hard (which I guess is the desired result) that its a $od of a job to buff off.... and it leaves a white residue in some of the hard to reach cracks (like the seal between the roof and top of door frame on the Zed). But its only a 6 monthly job so maybe I should get over it.

Any tips for an amateur scrubber?

Do you know af any other products that offer this same tough paint seal but are easier to apply?

Do I need a buffer??? Will it cause swirl marks? (dont say only if you use it wrong because I promise I will! :doh: )

All that follows is my view, I'm no professional!

I'd agree with the white bits on the resin polish. But if you think about the way it works it will help explain. It's being rubbed in and then drying to remove some of those imperfections and 'cutting' the paintwork. Therefore in that residue are those bits of 'stuff'. Really, it's the steps before that that determine the quality of the finish. The paint has to be clean, free from debris you're only going to actually swirl around the car (hence swirl effects - one cause of).

As for the shine, ask is the paint shining, or the product.......?? If you spray your car with glitter, it's the glitter shimmering, not the paint. So you need to work the paint, then shine the surface, then seal it. I always use Ultra Gloss as it protects the paint over the winter and gives a hardened cover, and does help reduce stone chips.

I'll do a test with Megs and see what happens, results on here.

Tips really are to try out different products I'd say. Oh, and try and get the car inside. Easier said than done, but wash your car outside, dry it and then after 3-4mins wipe a piece of tissue lightly over the roof or bonnet, there'll be tiny amounts of dust and dirt settling immediately, This reduces vastly inside. Final tip - cloths - plenty of, and wash them. If what you're using to rub the car is wrong, how do you expect the product to work? I'll try any of these new products to see what they do. Glym has heritage though! As for protections, not so sure, will check it out. Ultra Gloss is my preferred.

Buffer. No. Don't do it. One tiny speck of dirt, spinning at X hundred rpm = pain. One instruction on every product I've ever bought - turn cloth regularly. There for a reason.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I have just clayed the bumper (first time clayer) and was surprised how much I didnt lift of the car. So either it was pretty clean already or I am doing it wrong as usual :wacko:

Have now used the AG resin polish and extra gloss over the top and will see how the results look in the cold light of day tommorow. I take your point though about the preparation beforehand. I will see if the claying makes a difference this time....

Just working towards getting the whole thing re-protected before the winter.

Sorry to the guy that started this thread, we have wandered a bit off topic, still detailing but not really what was actually asked.