Engine tapping/knocking sound...

terribleone

fuel feed hose with damper...

Cheers for those mate, I've already looked through the workshop manual almost front to back looking for clues. That section is handy, but is really quite vague as to what they mean by each sound...a 'tap' may be a 'knock' to other people!! :lol:

Considering there was (somewhere) a TSB about the fuel dampers making a knocking sound, and mine is pulsing...I think I may have found the cause?? I can't remember where I saw the TSB though!! :wacko:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Category:TSB

Cheers for those mate, I've already looked through the workshop manual almost front to back looking for clues. That section is handy, but is really quite vague as to what they mean by each sound...a 'tap' may be a 'knock' to other people!! :lol:

Considering there was (somewhere) a TSB about the fuel dampers making a knocking sound, and mine is pulsing...I think I may have found the cause?? I can't remember where I saw the TSB though!! :wacko:

Haha, nice one mate...you're doing well tonight!! I can't find a mention of this in those TSBs.

Reading this thread linky, he does mention there was a TSB on it.

I'll keep searching!! :teeth:

• 3 months later...

Haha, nice one mate...you're doing well tonight!! I can't find a mention of this in those TSBs.

Did you manage find anything by any chance... i have the same noise :scare:

Did you manage find anything by any chance... i have the same noise :scare:

Flywheel!! These dual mass flys have a habit of developing a bit of movement which makes a knocking noise at idle. Allegedly they have the same on transit vans, and most mechanics modify them to work with a single plate fly when they need replacing.

Nothing to worry about, just change it when the noise gets unbearable or it starts to affect the drive. Mine's getting on for 45k, so although it doesn't need it yet I'll soon be popping in a new fly and clutch. I'll make sure I get a single plate lightweight flywheel though, these dual mass ones are rubbish!! :thumbs: