Help on zed engine

mrobinson2

I have spent the last hour looking at various threads on here using the search function, but didn't find the answer i was looking for.

Was there a specific date in 2006 that the 350z got the 300bhp engine? I know the gt4 had it, but they were all 2005 cars if I'm not mistaken.

If i look for a 2006 car, registered as 06 or 56, will these both have the 300bhp rev-up engine?

Also, was the gt4 the only 350z to have the 300bhp engine and fall into the £240 road tax bracket, or were there some 06 plate GT's with the 300bhp engine that benefited from the cheaper tax?

Thanks

Michael. (apologies if this is in the wrong section, i thought either here or the general section was the right one?)

As you say the GT4 got the 300 (296) engine but that engine was not adopted into the mainstream UK ZEDs until 2006, although they were previously available in Japan before then so some might have come in as imports.

The UK supplied 300s known as the MY06 ('MY' is model year) first became available in mid 2006 although we are aware that many of the pre-facelift 276 versions (MY03) were still unsold well into 2007. That has created confusion both amongst sellers and buyers, with some in the trade compounding the confusion. We also know of at least one MY06 (UK car) that was registered prior to the March 2006 tax hike (first registered o a Director at Nissan GB).

Having had both 276 and 296 engined ZEDs, IMO there is nothing to chose between them on the road, but of course the MY06 facelift does benefit from other upgrades. Be aware as well that most 296 engines, other than those built for the GT4's, are known to consume oil whereas most owners of the 276 engined ZEDs find oil cosumption between services negigible.

Hope this helps ;)

That, my friend, is exactly what i was looking for.

So from what you say, to benefit from the lower road tax, but have the rev-up engine, it would have to be a gt4, but there really isn't much difference engine wise between the 280/300 engines.

Right. I think I get it now.

We did go to look at a black gt4, but after doing the sums we think we have to stick to <13k for a zed. Since we are looking at a trade in and will want a warranty, that leaves traders only rather than private sellers, therefore it probably prices out the gt4, which is a shame as i like the idea of the limited edition car!

Thanks

Michael.

Be aware as well that most 296 engines, other than those built for the GT4's, are known to consume oil whereas most owners of the 276 engined ZEDs find oil cosumption between services negigible.

I don't think most 296 engines have any problems with oil consumption, mine certainly doesn't. I believe there were a few reported cases, but I certainly wouldn't say most have problems.

Spotted that one mate, thanks.

2 problems. (it will be my girlfriends car in name/payment/everything, so she gets final say on it LOL)

1. it's yellow, she doesn't like the yellow on the zed

2. she also doesn't like bodykits on cars, she likes them nice and standard!

otherwise it might have been in the running as i like the yellow and the nismo kit.

Be aware as well that most 296 engines, other than those built for the GT4's, are known to consume oil whereas most owners of the 276 engined ZEDs find oil cosumption between services negigible.

I don't think most 296 engines have any problems with oil consumption, mine certainly doesn't. I believe there were a few reported cases, but I certainly wouldn't say most have problems.

Agreed, and the same with mine. Certainly I see it as a minority rather than a majority, although it's definitely something I keep an eye more than I would normally just in case... :)

Spotted that one mate, thanks.

2 problems. (it will be my girlfriends car in name/payment/everything, so she gets final say on it LOL)

1. it's yellow, she doesn't like the yellow on the zed

2. she also doesn't like bodykits on cars, she likes them nice and standard!

otherwise it might have been in the running as i like the yellow and the nismo kit.

Unusual - the UY has been popular with the fairer sex in our experience,and especially with the factory Nismo kit, but if you are not too much of a rush I'm sure a Kuro GT4 will come along that is also within budget :thumbs:

Ebized why would the gt4 engines be any different than later engines when it comes to oil consumption?

Kev

A few of the 296 bhp engines had problems with excessive oil consumption (but not that many); something to with slight ovality in the cylinders during the casting stage of the block if I remember

This thread explains why I highlighted the concern:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15053

For the first 15K miles on my 296 engine the oil consumption was light but then I noticed it getting worse although only about a litre every 4-5k miles. Whether the GT4 engines were built to different tolerances or in a different factory, I do not know but when I did some research some way back the comment 'round pistons in oval bores' stuck in my mind. The fact an engine does consume oil is not necessarily a bad thing - many are designed to do that and ZED engine failures do seem to be very rare.

Perhaps my choice of the word 'most' was incorrect noting it has attracted those who have not experienced oil consumption like myself and clearly a number of others have experienced, which as far as I am aware was never an area of concern with the 276 engines.