Shower pump question

righto, basically in my first one ive drawn a very basic house cylinder as it should be installed, the way i would put a pump into a system to do what your after is to cut just after the tee in the hot outlet and make that your hot feed to the pump then make the hot out of the pump to go and connect up the other side of the cut you just made so that is now feeding the entire hot system in the house. with the cold i would find the cold feed from the cistern in the loft and make a cut in the very same way i did with the hot so it feeds the pump and run the cold out of the pump to the cold on the other side of the cut so its now feeding the whole cold system from the tank.

There may be a problem with doing this as the toilet will most likely be fed off of the cylinder in the tank and toilets and shower pumps dont really get on that well together. so it may be best to run a feed for the toilet off of the main,

Before

002-5.jpg

After

001-2.jpg

Excuse the handwriting thats the most ive done since i left school :lol:

Looking to sort out the bathroom this summer and want to put a pump in for the whole bathroom/house.

Heard that Stuart Turner pumps are supposedly the best, but they can be noisy. Salamander are also coming up with good reviews. Anyone got a pump in the bathroom (2.5 bar or so) and how noisy is it?

Looking at either http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products ... 0-bar-twin

Defo go for the stuart turner they are a bit more expensive, but we sell both and get far less problems with them than salamander.

Check the size of your stored hot and cold water tanks as you don't want it draining them.

Also if your Aga feeds the hot cylinder make sure you fit a thermostatic blending valve on the hot feed before the pump as very hot water is bad for the seals in them.

:thumbs:

Looking to sort out the bathroom this summer and want to put a pump in for the whole bathroom/house.

Heard that Stuart Turner pumps are supposedly the best, but they can be noisy. Salamander are also coming up with good reviews. Anyone got a pump in the bathroom (2.5 bar or so) and how noisy is it?

Looking at either http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products ... 0-bar-twin

Defo go for the stuart turner they are a bit more expensive, but we sell both and get far less problems with them than salamander.

Check the size of your stored hot and cold water tanks as you don't want it draining them.

Also if your Aga feeds the hot cylinder make sure you fit a thermostatic blending valve on the hot feed before the pump as very hot water is bad for the seals in them.

:thumbs:

Cheers for that info Richt! I was always swaying towards the Stuart Turner, just a bit worried about reports of noise with them. Hot water cylinder has a thermostat on it so can keep temp below 65°C. Hot water cylinder size was my other concern (both tanks in the roof should be able to supply enough), but I was contemplating getting a bigger cylinder (but they are so damn expensive); for one person having a decent shower a day plus washing up what would you recommend - will a standard 1050x400 mm cylinder be enough, or should I upgrade to a 1500x400 one (174 litres; bearing in mind mine is very old and likely scaled up to the nines anyway)?

Also, what are your prices like (how much would you do a Monsoon Universal 2.0 bar Twin pump for) - like to keep things in the "family" if possible. PM me if you like.

must admit, i'm impressed with the club help on the forum, and i feel i just learnt alot about plumbing from reading all that. not an area that i've dabbled with yet in my house, but its good to know that there are lots of helpfuls on hand.

must admit, i'm impressed with the club help on the forum, and i feel i just learnt alot about plumbing from reading all that. not an area that i've dabbled with yet in my house, but its good to know that there are lots of helpfuls on hand.

+1 :thumbs: one of the many benefits of being a member on a good forum like this.....

hot water storage should always be between 60 and 65 degrees to prevent legionnaires disease. if you live in an area with hard water ( you get alot of limescale) these temps will help slow the limescale proses down. as above 65 the water is broken down into its different state and the lime is deposited.

i would also say it not realy the size of the cylinder but the recovery rate. (time it takes to warm from cold). most cylinders will give a good shower unless your like me and just stand there for the sake of it :boat: .

if you have an unvented system the recovery rate should be around 15min form cold to hot. alot of people with combi boilers say the pressure isnt enough due to the reason you cant pump a combi. so they tend to fit an unvented hot water cylinder which runs of the electic, therfore making a for example shower have it own hot water store.

pump wise tho the ones said before are great :thumbs:

• 2 months later...