faulty boot - resolved!

UNABASHED

my boot has never popped open properly since I bought it. At first I tried removing the weight bolted to the boot lid, but this did nothing at all. After this I assumed the fault lay with the gas struts and so have been on look out for a replacement set, as I was looking today I came across the thread about the penny trick and though I might as well give that a try. Went to take off the springs and found one of them bent at a 90 degree angle - problem found!

after a lot of fiddling around I managed to remove the spring and stud and heat the stud to a point where I could manipulate it to a straight rod again, boot now opens as it should!

No more dropping all my bags while I try simultaneously pressing the boot release and lifting the boot lid!

photo-2.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

:lol: Is it meant to actually 'open' up when you push the button?

Mine pops up, sometimes needing another push of the button to actually release it...but it always needs me to physically lift the boot 'open'. :headhurt:

it's not suppsoed to open all the way no, but when you push the button it should clear the lock catch so that you can use the same hand to lift it open. With mine, and a lot of others, it doesnl;t even clear the locking catch so you have to hold the button in while at the same time pulling the boot open with the other hand.

ah, it gave you that false confidence and you thought you were a mechanic after that - i get it now! :lol:

That is pretty spot on tbh :lol:

You risked doing that after hacksawing your front grille? :lol:

Actually thats useful - mine has to be popped twice every time before it bloody opens.

Have you put 2p in each side, mine always took 2 pops and I thought it was just normal, but 2 minutes and 4p later it works fine :thumbs:

my boot has never popped open properly since I bought it. At first I tried removing the weight bolted to the boot lid, but this did nothing at all. After this I assumed the fault lay with the gas struts and so have been on look out for a replacement set, as I was looking today I came across the thread about the penny trick and though I might as well give that a try. Went to take off the springs and found one of them bent at a 90 degree angle - problem found!

after a lot of fiddling around I managed to remove the spring and stud and heat the stud to a point where I could manipulate it to a straight rod again, boot now opens as it should!

No more dropping all my bags while I try simultaneously pressing the boot release and lifting the boot lid!

photo-2.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

looking at them i think it is these im missing where would i get them from what would they cost from nissan dealer