Pro's & Con's of 20" Rims?

Millzzz

Thinking of getting some new "shoes" for my Zed,

Liking a set of wheels a member on here's selling, would just like to know however what significant changes it'd make to the car? Ride quality, performance etc. Also things I'd need to consider for fitting etc. Any advice really.

All suggestions/advice welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on my car

20"= more unsprung weight= less direct steering= hint of understeer on the limit= much better traction off the line

standard 18"= better ride= better steering= hint of oversteer (which I prefer)

you might be better off with light weight 19"s

Bigger wheels = more expensive tyres -ALOT MORE-

Lower profile = harsher ride

and ???????????????

And a lot more expensive is not a good thing ;)

Also the perception is that bigger wheels will fill the arches more, which is incorrect due to the lower profile tyres........

I'm struggling to see one benefit of 20's........................

and ???????????????

Also the perception is that bigger wheels will fill the arches more, which is incorrect due to the lower profile tyres........

You're probably right and in that case , is there any benefit in putting 19s on ?

19's are the happy medium :)

and ???????????????

This is the sort of help I was after. They seem like a good deal & look nice on white Z's.

Okay, I'll spell out my whole situation.

The rubber on my Z currently is waaaay too low (It JUST passed the MOT last October) I don't thrash it about partly for this reason, but I think it's time it got changed. I got a quote of around £530 for new tyres all the way round. This would do fine if I didn't want to start modding it in the next year or so. Cue my "I may as well just buy some wheels WITH tyres" way of thinking. Budgeting £900 for wheels, I really like the Rota Torque Drift in black w/ red lip (18"). Unfortunately they cost (from what I've found) around £900-£950 WITHOUT rubber. Not ideal...

Found these - http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=36857 - on here & really liked the look of them, plus they're within budget. Suggestions?

Cheers for help so far :)

Cheers for that Irh, very informative. Looks like 18's are the way to go then!

Ok, now onto the "which wheels" advice bit, which 18's on a standard PPW Z? I'm really indecisive about this stuff & would really appreciate suggestions . . . I like black, but can easily change my mind if a wheel suits the car enough. Oh & within the £900 WITH tyres :)

I couldn't tell you ATTAK, forgot to ask her lol. Haven't you just spent a grand on some rather funky wheels? :)

Cheers for that Irh, very informative. Looks like 18's are the way to go then!

Ok, now onto the "which wheels" advice bit, which 18's on a standard PPW Z? I'm really indecisive about this stuff & would really appreciate suggestions . . . I like black, but can easily change my mind if a wheel suits the car enough. Oh & within the £900 WITH tyres :)

I couldn't tell you ATTAK, forgot to ask her lol. Haven't you just spent a grand on some rather funky wheels? :)

although the test is informative you shouldn't expect the Zed to behave exactly the same way. also using different rubber might change things a bit.