Stuck valve caps

Metatron

Dear forum geniuses

Got a small issue with my valve caps

I have Richbrook security valve caps, the type with the rotating aluminum sleeve that require a key to twist the cap off.

The problem I've got is that the caps on the rear wheels are stuck tight and now the key is busted so I can't unscrew them.

I managed to take the sleeve off one of the caps and used some grips to try and remove the cap, but no joy, instead of the cap rotating the whole valve starts to turn :rant:

So my question is, does anyone have any bright ideas on how I can remove them or should I just have the valves replaced?

It seems like the thread has shredded on the caps so it might be impossible, but if anyone has any bright ideas it would be welcome.

Thanks y'all

Clamp the valve with one set of pliers and use another to turn the cap. Douse in a penetrating oil aswell.

You have to be careful though as valves can dislodge very easy and you end up with a flat.

But on a positive note ... you wanted them to be secure!

Dear forum geniuses

Got a small issue with my valve caps

I have Richbrook security valve caps, the type with the rotating aluminum sleeve that require a key to twist the cap off.

The problem I've got is that the caps on the rear wheels are stuck tight and now the key is busted so I can't unscrew them.

I managed to take the sleeve off one of the caps and used some grips to try and remove the cap, but no joy, instead of the cap rotating the whole valve starts to turn :rant:

So my question is, does anyone have any bright ideas on how I can remove them or should I just have the valves replaced?

It seems like the thread has shredded on the caps so it might be impossible, but if anyone has any bright ideas it would be welcome.

Thanks y'all

Dissimilar metal corrosion...apply a small amount of 'neversieze'/'coppaslip' on the next set you purchase.

Buy a new set from Halfrauds and you can remove the old ones and replace with fresh ones ;)

Will be cheaper and take less time than valve stem replacement :p

I have had these for 3 years and they have never seized and are still in VGC :blink: