Evolution... a theory?

Zedrush

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

science is good; but it can't disprove the exsistance of god or prove it.

same as with the tooth fairy and santa claus.

Well no, of course not. I would group those three together too! :teeth:

you may not like the fact that they might exist, but you'll just have to deal with it.

Well untill they do exist, there's nothing really to deal with is there?

we seem to be moving from the theory of evolution to the exsistance of god. and the validity of the bible.

there are also lots of references in stone carvings from extinct civilisations like the inca's, mesoptamians and some others that all point towards a god like figure.

now some believe this points to the exsistance of aliens- an advanced civilisation/visitors.

now depending on how you look at this that could be your god like figure. my reasoning

if you look at our own science we are still in the early stages of robotics, but the next step is building with organic material. we already dabble in dna, stem cells etc. the human body in essence is a very complex organic robotic structure.

human pursuit for knowledge will eventually lead to some kind of creation project, and replication of life. who's to say someone hasn't already been down this path and this/us are the results of that?

regardless of beliefs god if he exsists is extra terrestrial by definition.

so maybe religion isn't an if but actually a who :shrug:

Well maybe, but if we apply an Occam's Razor type approach, what is most likely? Basic physics and biology, or an unseen and (apparently) uncaring creator?

Man inherently has a sense of spirituality. Like you say about the Incas, the Egyptians, the oldest civilizations in the world. All of them seemed to have been drawn towards a religion at some point or a system of higher belief. It's because we ask questions. And its in our nature to question, where did I come from? Why am I here? This has typically led most nations to construct a sense of religion to fit those questions, which is what the Incas and similar civilizations did with the worshipping of the sun etc.

By the principles of evolution theory, survival of the fittest. We should be leaving disabled people to die, promoting eugenics, something which Hitler tried by the sterilization of thousands of homosexuals, un-educated and handicapped people. To the rest of the world, this was seen as abhorrent. But why? Survival of the fittest promotes removing the weak from the gene pool. It's abhorrent because we are born with the ability to show compassion, love, mercy. Intangible forces of the world which evolution cannot put a scientific finger on.

Co-operation and altruism are an essential part of the development modern civilisation, and the resulting surpluses of food, time, and money allows us remove less fortunate people from suffering the apparent harshness of nature.

There's too much logic for me in believing in God. I experience so many amazing things, taste fine food and drink, enjoy breathtaking scenery, I've got hands that can put parts of the smallest watch together, or smash down a brick wall. Coincidence, or Intelligent design? By asking my self the questions Why am I here, Where did I come from, with religion I can at least answer that I have a purpose, I'm designed with a purpose physically, and designed with a purpose spiritually.

An evolutionist would answer to these that you are simply an organic substance, organic matter with electric pulses and chemicals flowing through you. The organic matter will experience positive or negative impulses based on actions throughout growth such as touching fire, ouch, don't touch fire again. I was happy when I ate a yellow melon once, so I like the colour yellow now. Learning through actions. But this could not answer the intangible forces mentioned earlier such as love, mercy, compassion. Evolution neither answers why I'm here, or where I came from. It gives me no logical answers for my existence and I just can't choose to accept it personally.

Science is similarly magical you know. It's not necessary to reduce the complexity of life to some kind of basic computer system, the beauty of arranging neurons into a complex network such as happens in your brain, is that it can become more than the sum of its parts. Presumably at some point the complexity gives rise to sentience, and then, well, the sky's the limit!

I think part of the issue these days is that the scope of science is so unimaginably vast, and in some areas, almost beyond comprehension, that average joe in the streets just get frightened off and looks for easier and simpler answers to the questions of exsistance.

Science is similarly magical you know. It's not necessary to reduce the complexity of life to some kind of basic computer system, the beauty of arranging neurons into a complex network such as happens in your brain, is that it can become more than the sum of its parts. Presumably at some point the complexity gives rise to sentience, and then, well, the sky's the limit!

I think part of the issue these days is that the scope of science is so unimaginably vast, and in some areas, almost beyond comprehension, that average joe in the streets just get frightened off and looks for easier and simpler answers to the questions of exsistance.

Just curious mate, when you wonder the inevitable questions about purpose of life, what do you come to the conclusion of?

That is soooo apropriate to this conversation! :lol:

Just curious mate, when you wonder the inevitable questions about purpose of life, what do you come to the conclusion of?

I honestly don't know. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the journey is a lot more fun than the destination though. :drive1

I'm certainly not holding out for something good afterwards. I can easily see why that scares the sh*t out of people, me included. It's enough to make you turn to God (No offence!).

One of my biggest wishes is for life, even if just single cellular, to be found on another planet or moon. At least that would mean that life was endemic and maybe even inevitable in the universe. It would clear up a whole slew of scientific and philosophical questions at a stoke. And then, of course, pose a whole new set of them! :bang:

The problem religiousists have is that they can't grasp how unimportant the human race and earth is in the scheme of things.

We are just a mass of carbon/water etc. atoms existing in the blink of an eye (in relative terms) In evolutionary terms our purpose is to reproduce and kill our enemies - like all life forms. When we die we (if lucky) rot and provide food for other life forms. If unlucky we die thrashing and screaming whilst we are devoured alive by our predators (like antelopes or seals for example)

That's it. Full stop. Get over it.

AK350Z you crack me up mate this has been fun :lol:

Sorry not been on to reply sooner but meetings all day yesterday and teaching last night am shattered. For me personally scientists study with evolution changes so much, from one theory to another first Darwin was the in thing then it became louis pasteur theory of spontaneous generation, and then it will be another theory, maybe Apple will release i-evolution. But again this is my view and my view only.

What I like about and what attracts me to Genesis is it's consistency for me. And if it was written by mere people then they should win science highest accolade for knowing way back then that the world wasn't flat and knowing that 99% of the chemical makeup of the human body can be found in the earths layer six elements specifically. But perhaps this was just luck, clever guys none the less.

With regards to evolution and Christian religion being moulded together, this could never happen otherwise the whole of the Christian doctrine would fall apart, the morality of God and the survival of the fittest within the evolution model is so contradictory the whole essence of our faith would be doomed. The O.T promotes peoples greatest weakness becoming their greatest strength. Not the physically strong will survive.

The problem religiousists have is that they can't grasp how unimportant the human race and earth is in the scheme of things.

We are just a mass of carbon/water etc. atoms existing in the blink of an eye (in relative terms) In evolutionary terms our purpose is to reproduce and kill our enemies - like all life forms. When we die we (if lucky) rot and provide food for other life forms. If unlucky we die thrashing and screaming whilst we are devoured alive by our predators (like antelopes or seals for example)

i am not really convinced about the reality of this cosmos either...it could be just a part of a matrix...and us the pawns...then again we could be a molecule of a table in another world...

we think we can think or we really think? maybe we say what we are programmed to say and i posting this post not of choise.... ;)

ps edited a typing mistake :blush:

Again you are entitled to your opinion mate, but grasping how unimportant the human race and earth is in the scheme of things? I'd like to see you say that to an atheistic father who just lost his 3 year old daughter. :blush:

Somethings are worth fighting for and from a Religious point of view that thing is called hope, to bring a solution whether in this life or the next out of chaos. ;)

Nothing to get over some people believe some don't you can't stop someone believing or having faith just like I cant force someone to believe and never would. I'd never say to an evolutionist that God exist so stop researching and get over it :wacko: