What to check when buying a diesel?

marzman

Hey,

Im currently trying to find a cheap ass car to replace my zed with, and im looking around the £1.5k mark :wacko:

There seem to be a few diesels available at that price range, but i've never looked at/driven a diesel before - what sort of things do i need to check with the engine? Any hints are welcome!

most diesels are pretty bullet proof,

but once the engines warm if you put it under heavy load you don't want to see large plumes of black smoke out the rear exhaust.

should be a fairly clean burn on most modern ones, might get a little cloud, but if its kicking out smoke machine quanitites its means the engines FUBAR

As Rich said, Diesels are pretty much soild. Lots of torque. I had a 1.9TDi Ibiza before the Zed and I loved it. Black smoke from the exhaust is common, but a high percentage of the time this can be put down to dirty injectors. An additive can be purchased for this. Try and stay with German manufactures, as they are better IMO, maybe a Mk4 Golf?

Good luck bud :thumbs:

Cheers all - useful info. I forgot about black smoke!!

Nope, mine's not sold yet. I've not even had a single enquiry about it. I think its priced too cheap as its the 5th cheapest in the country on autotrader. :shrug:

Remember to check the spark plugs, trying to track down new spark plugs for any diesel engine is a nightmare.

:lol:

Check it revs freely to 7000 - 8000k revs. Wherever the red line is.........

Smoke is bad, also check it from cold. I've only ever owned one dirty derv which was an old 1.7TD Astra and to be honest it was fine. Not exciting but a fine runner.