Rattle noise: can GT4's crankshaft be reground?

ms8qt

Hi,

First of all let me start by saying I no nothing about car mechanics so please reply in plain English or I'll get confused very quickly! :headhurt:

I have a GT4 spec 350z (05 plate) and recently noticed a rattle sound coming from the engine (whilst driving). It is more noticeable once the engine is warm and the throttle is feathered slightly in 2nd or 3rd gear, although you can hear it if the car is in neutral and you rev it harder. I took it to Nissan today and within very little time at all they told me I had engine issues and it sounded like the crankshaft. :(

I have booked the car in for 4 hours labour on Tuesday so they can take the crankshaft out and perform a more detailed diagnostic to confirm their initial thoughts. They seem hopeful that regrinding the crankshaft, etc will resolve the problem and the cost of this additional work (inc. parts and labour) is likely to be ~£1200. However, their main techie said that the early 350z didn't allow you to regrind it due to the way it was constructed. They believe that my 05 plate GT4 is on the border and therefore it might be possible to regrind its crankshaft (but they won't know for sure until Tuesday). I was under the impression that the engine from the GT4 became the standard engine in newer cars so I'm really hoping it can be reground.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I would like to understand the situation more and know whether or not I'm likely to end up with a £1200 bill or a £3000+ bill for a new crankshaft or, even worse, a new engine! :scare:

MANY thanks,

Mark

Personally I wouldn't trust Nissan to diagnose a problem that quickly and accurately. I'd get someone more knowledgeable to have a look at it first before allowing Nissan to start stripping your engine down and charging you a fortune. As you are based in Reading I'd get Abbey Motorsport to have a look at it first.

Agree with what he said.

Get a second opinion.

Abbey will be able to give you an informed diagnoses without stripping :thumbs:

4 hours labour is insufficient time to remove motor, strip and inspect crank anyway.

Alex.

Which dealer did you take it to? Being in Reading, you can not only take it to KJM in Reading, but also WLMG in Slough and at a push West Way in Basingstoke to get a second opinion. Personally I'd get it booked in with Abbey though as they know the Zed very well. Theres also RJN Motorsport up Wantage way, which isnt too far either.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I've just spoken with Abbey (they seemed to know their stuff) and I'm going to go there this afternoon to get their initial thoughts.

I only went to KJM in Reading, no other dealers. I'll see what Abbey say this afternoon and go from there.

Mark

Just got back from Abbey...spoke to a guy called Tony that really seemed to know his stuff :)

As soon as he heard the noise he knew it was down to a couple of worn bits (bearings?) in the crankshaft. He seemed confident he could fix it without buying any expensive replacement parts, however it will take around 40 hours labour at £60+vat an hour...OUCH! It seems it's not easy to access the crankshaft on the 350z, hence why so much labour is needed.

I don't appear to have an alternative option so I'll be booking it in with them to get it done ASAP. The only good news was that the rattle noise is quite quiet at the moment and isn't constant...Tony thinks I've caught it early so it'll be ok to drive for the time being, providing I treat it gently and keep it in the lower rev range!

Mark

Just got back from Abbey...spoke to a guy called Tony that really seemed to know his stuff :)

As soon as he heard the noise he knew it was down to a couple of worn bits (bearings?) in the crankshaft. He seemed confident he could fix it without buying any expensive replacement parts, however it will take around 40 hours labour at £60+vat an hour...OUCH! It seems it's not easy to access the crankshaft on the 350z, hence why so much labour is needed.

I don't appear to have an alternative option so I'll be booking it in with them to get it done ASAP. The only good news was that the rattle noise is quite quiet at the moment and isn't constant...Tony thinks I've caught it early so it'll be ok to drive for the time being, providing I treat it gently and keep it in the lower rev range!

Mark

Two and a half grand.. ouch!!

Good luck getting it sorted though mate, at least you know it'll be done properly at Abbey :)